Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 08:41   #16

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: Weekly Worship at Sea

I think this is awesome and would love to worship with you!! We will be visiting Calvary Chapel in La Paz in a couple of weeks, but if you can't find a local church why not download some bible studies online or some podcasts?
I know it's not the same as meeting other believers from other cultures, but at least you would get some spiritual food.
Ahh, is there anything better than worshipping the Creator for all His marvelous works? Enjoy being out there and be safe!
Old 31-12-2019, 09:32   #17

This reminds me of many years ago when my wife and I had started going to church again after getting married. We had sailed from Spain and on Christmas Eve were in Bequai. We rowed ashore for midnight mass and the priest droned on and on and on for what seemed like hours about how few people had turned up. We left the church feeling completely depressed and rejected for our efforts to join in with the locals celebrating Christmas mass. We decided not to experiment with the
way other countries conducted their religious service in the future.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 09:45   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

I rarely read cruiser blogs, but I'm seen posts on lots of them about going to the local church. Here in Boot Key/Marathon besides the local churches there is a cruiser worship get together. Why does the this thread read like such a big deal?
Old 31-12-2019, 10:53   #19

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I rarely read cruiser blogs, but I'm seen posts on lots of them about going to the local church. Here in Boot Key/Marathon besides the local churches there is a cruiser worship get together. Why does the this thread read like such a big deal?
Because....To some people....
GOD is a big deal.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 11:12   #20

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

It’s been my experience that if you want to worship, and aren’t concerned about denomination, lots of churches to attend wherever you are. I think devotion and keeping the sabbath is a state of mind too. Perhaps starting your own church service group in the beach or whatever? Marking the sabbath as a special day with no chores/ relaxation/ special meal/ downloaded sermons etc a good idea too.
I think with the right spirit and being open to opportunity God provides is a great start.
Great thread, thanks!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 21:35   #21

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Matthew 18:20
“For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”

King James Version (KJV)

Too often we forget, or we really fail to believe, that Jesus is right there with us, but He is actually right there with us when two or three gather together in His Beautiful Name to worship.

Senior Chief,U.S.NAVY,RETIRED
Sailing4Jesus@gmail.com
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:22   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I have been out 12 years. I grew up in the Church - NOT CATHOLIC - and always try to find a Church wherever the boat is regardless of demonination but English is a must.

Sometimes I could find one in the Carb but not often.

In the Med lots of Catholic but few others and I can only remember one in English. And of course in the Muslim countries it was even harder but did find a Church in Istanbul with English Christmas Eve services.

I do to Church each Sunday I have internet at First Baptist Dallas -- First Baptist Dallas
It has been a great source for me and my faith and trying to learn more and worship my God and my savior Jesus.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:37   #23

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Russ, I am an atheist, but there are many good answers here, I hope you find services that bring happiness to your soul. As you see there is always a percentage of hot take dummies out there who need all of our forgiveness in which they know not what they do... I will apologize for him as a former marine myself, we are all not so uncaring towards others.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:56   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Former Marine?
My Brother is rolling over in his grave, I thought once a Marine, always a Marine?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:18   #25

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Former Marine?
My Brother is rolling over in his grave, I thought once a Marine, always a Marine?
Never an ex marine, former when out of service, your brother can continue to Rest In Peace, sorry for your loss.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:23   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russpatterson5 View Post
My wife and expect to be enjoying the cruising lifestyle in the Bahamas and Caribbean by the end of 2020. Regular church attendance has long been a satisfying part of our life, and I'm wondering how difficult is that going to be to continue once we're cruising? Are there any cruisers who get together for bible studies or worship of any kind? Sunday morning services on the beach? Anything like that?

Thanks for any input you might have.
Welcome to CF Russ!
Interesting question which has me wondering:

1....Is it the weekly contemplation and spiritual reinforcement inside a place of worship, that you feel you will miss?

Everywhere I have traveled, I've found communities bound in their beliefs, happy to share with visitors, so #1 is fairly easy to achieve.

2....or is it the camaraderie of like minded sailors in religious beliefs, that you seek while cruising?

I've met all kinds from recovering missionaries [emoji4] to serious philosophers who have shared a meal and an anchorage as great company.

If #2 is closer to your question, then I hope whether atheist, agnostic or spiritual, ......the people you meet will all share that innate goodness and open mindedness, which transcends our mortal definitions.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 14:30   #27

Boat: Morgan 416, 41ft.

#2 definitely. It is the connection with like-minded believers far more than any building that satisfies our desire for worship. Fellowship and genuine connection can be, and I'm sure will be enjoyed over common ground of any kind, but there is something supremely important to most Christians about gathering with other Christians. Exactly where that takes place is of no importance.

Thanks for your response!
russpatterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 14:32   #28

Boat: Morgan 416, 41ft.

Escaping idiots entirely would require escaping the planet. I am neither surprised nor offended by them.

russpatterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 14:49   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
I am not a religious person, but this weekend I leave on a 6 week Caribbean cruise on Princess. Aboard a cruise ship is the only time that I attend religious events (other than funerals). Friendly, interesting people, the best challah bread and free wine.

But I must admit that I enjoyed Thomm225's humerous earlier entry, as well as his reply.

However as a former Marine, you should remember that religion is one of the 3 topics banned from the mess.
Maybe in a different church my attitude would have been different. We were a Sunday School and church every Sunday Family.

Some of the preachers scared me as a child with their burn in hell sermons. We were Isolated until the CBBT (bridge) was built.

I must say though that we had some very good services in Marine Boot Camp at the 2nd Battalion Church, Parris Island.

I guess only 2nd went there but not sure since I couldn't really ask without PERMISSION! Same with going to the bathroom. Or standing, or sitting, or sleeping, etc, etc

But when on the rifle range we had freedom 'cause at times they would give every Marine (to be) 10 rounds for his M16 no matter how weird or strange he was. Think a firing line of 300 marines (to be? ) all with 10 rounds.. (all ready on the firing line!!?)

We had no contact with others back in the 70's while in Boot camp so church was …….. nice

This video is exactly as I remember my barracks and my drill instructors......but the church was still good and I did enjoy being there while at Parris Island. (a bit of home I guess) Who wouldn't after dealing with crazed redneck drill instructors for weeks on end!

And I may as well throw in the finished product. These are 17-24 year olds with automatic weapons ready to go on command. It even concerns me a bit at my old age which is why they don't have mid 60's folks in the marines or army

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 15:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by russpatterson5 View Post
#2 definitely. It is the connection with like-minded believers far more than any building that satisfies our desire for worship. Fellowship and genuine connection can be, and I'm sure will be enjoyed over common ground of any kind, but there is something supremely important to most Christians about gathering with other Christians. Exactly where that takes place is of no importance.

The bolded area can or can not be a problem depending on what you consider to be "christian" and "like minded". You will be cruising in nominally christian countries and most people there will consider themselfs christians. It is up to you (and probably also your particular church) if you can accept their ways of worship and join them for prayer.

Now to a more practical note:
Everywhere there are a few boats there will be a radio net. You can simply ask if there are any people willing to pray with you or if anyone knows of any churches to your liking. Sometimes there will be and sometimes not. And you can always preach your particular beliefs to anyone willing to listen.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote