Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2019, 14:02   #1

Boat: Morgan 416, 41ft.
Weekly Worship at Sea

My wife and expect to be enjoying the cruising lifestyle in the Bahamas and Caribbean by the end of 2020. Regular church attendance has long been a satisfying part of our life, and I'm wondering how difficult is that going to be to continue once we're cruising? Are there any cruisers who get together for bible studies or worship of any kind? Sunday morning services on the beach? Anything like that?

Thanks for any input you might have.
russpatterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 15:18   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Weekly Worship at Sea

I think you would be welcomed by churches in the places you visit. A good way to get to know local folks.
Old 30-12-2019, 15:43   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I think you would be welcomed by churches in the places you visit. A good way to get to know local folks.
I agree, attend local churches and get to know the local culture. You are unlikely to find many, if any, cruisers present, but it is another way to get to know the local culture.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 15:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The only organized regular cruiser church services I’ve seen was the beach church in Georgetown Bahamas.
But that is the only place I’ve been that has a large group of cruisers, that don’t do so much cruising.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:03   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I concur with the previous three answers.

We have very much enjoyed attending various churches in the Bahamas as well as the US and Canada while cruising. Sometimes a church of your preferred denomination will be convenient. Other times you will get to experience something new or different. We have come upon some very memorable, "different" churches this way.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:07   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes, most cruisers I have met worship at the local beach bars early on Sundays (some on their knees) fixin the hang over from Saturday night.

A good way to meet the locals also.

I always thought meeting people was what the church thing was all about anyway after my experiences with it growing up every Sunday in a rural area which included the revival season of sex and soul saving.

We painted our Jesuses red or green in Sunday School sometimes without going outside the lines. (sounds like a good name for a sports show)

I'm thinking the ancient aliens that first colonized the Earth don't necessarily need you to pray because their sensors/receivers can already let them know what's happening here if they want to know.

Otherwise, they will just analyze all the DNA each individual has left behind to get a sense of his or her being.

After reading "the book" one or two times, you should be all set which just leave hanging out. I have read a few of my favorite books like three time though
I am not happy with this response. A genuine question deserves a genuine answer. I am athiest and find this reply offensive. It's not for you to ridicule how, to whom, or why a person may wish to worship. Live and let live. Let others that actually have experience cruising answer their questions as to where and how instead of mocking them.

To help answer the OP. I am not cruising but have visited some Caribbean islands. There you will find many Christian churches, some Synagogues, and Muslim places of worship. I'm sure other religions are represented as well but my knowledge is slim given my own beliefs. I'm sure if you seek out services locally, you will find them. I am also sure more casual gatherings happen within the cruising comunity in harbors and anchorages. But you will have to wait for others to chime in to confirm that.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Finding churches to attend while cruising is extremely difficult anywhere in central and south America. Ditto the western Caribbean, with the exception of Roatan.
No experience with eastern Carib. Long ago in Marathon sailors were meeting weekly on a ferrocement hulk. A lot will depend on level of pickiness. Can you stomach a Charismatic service? That will probably be the most common flavor. Mormon churches abound in the San Blas islands (???!!!). If it's got to be Reformed Presbyterian, I'm afraid you'll be all out of luck---er, providence.
Even if unable to find a congregation, you can still keep the fourth commandment by resting on the Lord's Day--stay at anchor, avoid boat chores, avoid the necessary concerns of the other six days. If you plan ahead, you can download a limitless supply of sermons from sermonaudio.com to listen to, and there's more devotional works in print than would fit on a cruising boat. Any of the Puritans (Matthew Henry, William Gurnall, John Bunyan, etc) will have the most density of material for size of book--the best value for your space, in other words.
Old 30-12-2019, 16:47   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I am not happy with this response. A genuine question deserves a genuine answer. I am athiest and find this reply offensive. It's not for you to ridicule how, to whom, or why a person may wish to worship. Live and let live. Let others that actually have experience cruising answer their questions as to where and how instead of mocking them.

To help answer the OP. I am not cruising but have visited some Caribbean islands. There you will find many Christian churches, some Synagogues, and Muslim places of worship. I'm sure other religions are represented as well but my knowledge is slim given my own beliefs. I'm sure if you seek out services locally, you will find them. I am also sure more casual gatherings happen within the cruising comunity in harbors and anchorages. But you will have to wait for others to chime in to confirm that.

After thinking it over, I deleted it but sometime between then and now you were able to republish it so there you have it.

I probably should stop at this point but when I was in the Marines, we were taught to pray a lot before learning how to shoot at people. (I believe you got 10 points for bullseye hit on a silhouette target at 500 yards which was pretty easy from the prone position)

I think I went the wrong route and maybe this one would have been better. (which is part of the reason I like being on the water)

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 00:26   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Russ, up front I'm an atheist, but as we cruised through the South Pacific islands we attended many local church services, sometimes invited, sometimes just walk-ins. Most were conducted in languages that we did not comprehend, but always one could feel the "good vibes" from the congregations, and often the singing was glorious. We were always made welcome, often asked to introduce ourselves tell the folks our story, and indeed the experiences were very enjoyable, and as others have said, a good intro to the local village community.

My point is that if heathens like us are made welcome wherever we were, surely you will find a welcome as well if you are not too picky about exact matches in your dogma. I think you will be able to enjoy both the villagers and your religious practices as you cruise, so go forth and enjoy... it's a great life!

Jim
Old 31-12-2019, 01:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Russ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 02:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Finding churches to attend while cruising is extremely difficult anywhere in central and south America. Ditto the western Caribbean, with the exception of Roatan.
No experience with eastern Carib. Long ago in Marathon sailors were meeting weekly on a ferrocement hulk. A lot will depend on level of pickiness. Can you stomach a Charismatic service? That will probably be the most common flavor. Mormon churches abound in the San Blas islands (???!!!). If it's got to be Reformed Presbyterian, I'm afraid you'll be all out of luck---er, providence.
Even if unable to find a congregation, you can still keep the fourth commandment by resting on the Lord's Day--stay at anchor, avoid boat chores, avoid the necessary concerns of the other six days. If you plan ahead, you can download a limitless supply of sermons from sermonaudio.com to listen to, and there's more devotional works in print than would fit on a cruising boat. Any of the Puritans (Matthew Henry, William Gurnall, John Bunyan, etc) will have the most density of material for size of book--the best value for your space, in other words.
Really? What fits your definition of a "church"?

Ive lived in Central America for almost 2 decades...there are churches everywhere. Even the tiny remote village we lived in in Guatemala had two! There are many churches in every popular populated cruising stop throughout the Western Caribbean.

Where could you not find a church?
Old 31-12-2019, 03:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Really? What fits your definition of a "church"?

Ive lived in Central America for almost 2 decades...there are churches everywhere. Even the tiny remote village we lived in in Guatemala had two! There are many churches in every popular populated cruising stop throughout the Western Caribbean.

Where could you not find a church?
Usually couldn't find one within walking/taxi/bus distance from the anchorage. So, Pacific Mexico, Pacific Central America, south and north Panama, Colombia, and western Caribbean. That being said, my level of pickiness is high. Mormon service: not for me. High-volume band: no interest. Roman Catholic: can't do it. Having no interent available onboard might have hobbled my searches, though not everyone has a website, and even less did when I passed through.
Old 31-12-2019, 03:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Usually couldn't find one within walking/taxi/bus distance from the anchorage. So, Pacific Mexico, Pacific Central America, south and north Panama, Colombia, and western Caribbean. That being said, my level of pickiness is high. Mormon service: not for me. High-volume band: no interest. Roman Catholic: can't do it. Having no interent available onboard might have hobbled my searches, though not everyone has a website, and even less did when I passed through.
Eliminating Catholic eliminates a large number of churches throughout Latin America...Spain & the Catholic church did a very effective job of mutually expanding their empires. There are also loads of minor "evangelical" (as they are often called in C.A.) churches (JW, 7th Day Adventist, Pentacostal, ...). I think Latin America provides a market where they can expand and they have expanded dramatically in recent years.

We have an evangelical church back in my little village in Guatemala we dubbed the "Church of the Deaf Jesus" because when electricity came to the village for the first time (just a few years ago) they went out and bought a big PA system...which I can hear from my place about 2 miles away!

There are also Menonites & Amish but they might not be as open to walk ins...best to know someone on the community.

From my perspective, one of the joys of cruising is getting to know other cultures. That could be expanded to their religous practices. Im not religious, but have an academic interest. In addition to more main stream Western religious ceremonies, Ive attended Mayan Shaman ceremonies, Kuna indian ceremonies, visited shrines of Maxímom in Guatemala (a very interesting Catholic/Mayan hybrid "saint"), and buddist monk ceremonies in Nepal.

Guatemala offers some amazing examples of hybridization of religion. The Mayans adopted many elements of Catholicism into their practices. To the extent that there are mixed Catholic/Mayan churches and services....amazing to see.

So cruising offers an oppotunity to expand your religious experience.
Old 31-12-2019, 07:39   #14

When we take our annual vacation (throughout the Caribbean islands and eastern Central America by land or boat), we have generally been very successful in finding a congregation that is focused on the purposes of worshiping God and encouraging one another. As @Gadagirl said, with the internet now you should be able to find an appropriate place for you to worship. You can use the internet to plan your cruise to be somewhere you can worship (weather permitting).
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 08:34   #15

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I am not a religious person, but this weekend I leave on a 6 week Caribbean cruise on Princess. Aboard a cruise ship is the only time that I attend religious events (other than funerals). Friendly, interesting people, the best challah bread and free wine.

But I must admit that I enjoyed Thomm225's humerous earlier entry, as well as his reply.

However as a former Marine, you should remember that religion is one of the 3 topics banned from the mess.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote