Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2012, 07:53   #1

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190
ATN Topclimber

ATN topclimber,as new-$275.00. E-mail me at jonreiter@wildblue.net or call 805.570.4804 and I'll send photos from my phone. Fair Winds, JLS
Old 01-12-2012, 15:04   #2

Boat: 32ft 1978 center cockpit O'Day
They are $260 from the company...
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39   #3

Boat: Lotus 9.2 by Alan Wright
Re: ATN Topclimber

Hi All, I've only just registered to enable myself to tell the correct story about these products as I see them mentioned in this wonderful forum often.

To clearly state my allegiances, I have worked with and built websites for TopclimberInternational.

The original Topclimber was invented, and is built in the Netherlands by TopclimberInternational They were originally distributed in the USA by ATN, who began calling them and selling them as the ATN Topclimber. A dispute quickly arose over the ownership of the patented idea when ATN started making their own versions and attempted to take over the branding. Eventually ATN skirted around the issue by creating their own slightly different design, with the open ascenders and marketed as a 'Mastclimber'. The original 'Topclimbers' still offer the safer closed line grabber.

So, long story short, due to aggressive, competitive and somewhat underhanded business practices by a US distributor there now appears to be two types of Topclimbers on the market. But there is only one original, and it is still built in the Netherlands and they can be bought directly online and currently at very competitive prices, as stated above. The quality of the original product has not changed.

I also own one and have used it often, the last time was when a topping lift shackle at the top of the mast gave way suddenly, it almost killed a bloke in the cockpit when the boom missed his skull by an inch. But later I was able to climb the mast with ease and replace the bent shackle pin with a completely new one. I had plenty of company at the time and so also had a crew mate easing up an attached spiniker halyard as a second safety line. See photo here

That was aboard the Lotus 9.2 to which my username refers, last summer in Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand. I hope that clears up some stuff and is useful. Love the forum and keep up the good work. Cheers Rick
Old 04-12-2012, 08:21   #4

The ATN TopClimber, from Hollywood, Fl.,is listed at $450.00. This is for the "improved" model that doesn't require a seperate static line, but fits over a halyard that you still have to set up taut. Mine, you set a static line taut, clip over a halyard, and Bob's your uncle, you climb. Apples and oranges. I priced mine at $275 because it is ostensibly new and cost around $350.00 years ago when I bought it. I'm open to offers on everything I offer for sale, but am thinking of just keeping it for use aboard Karen and everyone can go out and pay retail+tax for a new unit, which is $450.00 from "the " company. Fair Winds, JLS
Old 04-12-2012, 09:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You don't need a separate static line to use the Top Climber. I use mine on the main halyard. You do have to be able to thread the ascenders onto from the end of a halyard, however. If you have internal halyards with a spliced shackle and/or high tech line with the cover strippedl it becomes an issue. That is where the ATN Mast Climber comes in. They have a removable pin on the ascender that allows them to be clapped on anywhere on the line, not just threaded from the bitter end. You get to pay for that convenience, however.

Since the break up of the ATN/Top Climber marketing arrangement, Top Climber is marketing theirs directly at a much reduced price from what ATN sold it for. For those of us who bought the ATN marketed Top Climber, we'll have to take a haircut on the resale. For those that already have a Top Climber but want the ATN ascender, ATN is selling just the ascenders but they are pretty dear.

The Top Climber has been the best piece of non sailing gear I've bought for the boat. Totally rerigged the boat, R&R'd the furler, painted the spreaders, etc. Did almost all on my own with very occasional help and then only for a minute or two from dockmates for the furler. Might have been able to do that by myself but didn't want to risk kinking the extrusion.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10   #6

Isn't this essentially rock climbing equipment and a bosuns chair? I would think the components can be had for much less than the packaged price. No?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:36   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The ascenders for both the Top and the Mast Climber are proprietary. They work similarly to mountain climbing gear but the ropes are captive and can't accidentally become detached. A safety feature or an inconvenience depending on how you look at it. What I really like about the Top Climber is the harness/ seat. It's comfortable for hours and doesn't give you the feel it's trying to dump you out like every bosun's chair I've used.

I was originally going to buy mountain climbing ascenders, foot straps and harness. Got to thinking about all the modifications I'd have to make to the gear since none of it was set up like the MastClimber. Decided to spend the not so great amount of extra money for the Top Climber that was ready to use out of the box
Old 05-12-2012, 09:47   #8

We did a lot of research on this topic when deciding what to buy for our boat, so let's clear up a couple of the statements in this thread. Some of the information put forth so far could be misleading to prospective buyers of either the new or used climbers being discussed.

To the OP, no one is going to pay "$450 + tax" for either of these. You may have found a retailer charging an exorbitant amount for your item, but it's disingenuous to represent that as the going rate. Your climber is listed NEW at the MFG's web site for $260 including delivery.

Topclimber - Mastclimbing System - Mast Climber - Bosun’s Chair - Top climber -USA

I understand you paid more, and anyone would be frustrated about that. Unfortunately there was a falling out between the US distributor and the Mfg (I don't know the details behind that relationship). As Roverhi has stated, those private parties that wish to re-sell their original Topclimbers will have to adjust their asking price.

The ATN Mastclimber has a list price of $490. It is currently for sale at Defender for $365 plus shipping. That's not even their sale price, it's their everyday offering. It can be bought for even less during one of their many sales throughout the year.

ATN Mastclimber Bosun Chair

In regards to Lotus 9.2's statement:

"But there is only one original, and it is still built in the Netherlands and they can be bought directly online and currently at very competitive prices, as stated above. The quality of the original product has not changed."

I've looked at both products and they appear to be very well made. However, during my research I came across the following discussion from 2010. It's only 1 data point but worth noting for others looking to make a decision.

ATN's new Mastclimber! NOT!

We bought the Mastclimber because of the changes to the ascenders. The chair webbing appears to be reinforced compared to the pictures in the above thread. As far as I can tell in comparing the two, the ascenders are the only real difference other than color/badging. (I was comparing a Topclimber from about 2010 and a Mastclimber from 2011). If the closed ascenders don't bother you, save the $100 and go with the Topclimber.

It's a very comfortable setup and easy to get up and down the mast. I hook up a spare halyard on a harness for redundancy.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48   #9

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion, especially RoverHi, who pointed out what was, to me, the most useful info. I've decided to keep my TopClimber, that it was a pretty good deal in 2004 and wouldn't be worth letting go of. I'll try rigging it onto the main halyard which I'll run through a fairlead clear of the mast partners and back to it's winch. Thanks again for all your input. I'll let the thread run for any further discussion. Fair winds, JLS
Old 06-12-2012, 14:59   #10

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I think I am going to have to buy one of these.
Old 06-12-2012, 15:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jonathan, one of the things that made the Top Climber experience way better was switching out the StaSet X main halyard for a Dyneema cored one. Seemed like I was wasting half my energy in the bounce caused by the stretch the StaSet halyard. I didn't like the StaSet X line in any case and got a good deal on the new one on Ebay. Was looking for an excuse to change it so it didn't hurt so much to have to cut the old halyard when it got an override that locked up solid. Added a winch pad under the halyard winch and no longer have overide issues.
Old 08-12-2012, 17:35   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Jonathan, one of the things that made the Top Climber experience way better was switching out the StaSet X main halyard for a Dyneema cored one. Seemed like I was wasting half my energy in the bounce caused by the stretch the StaSet halyard. I didn't like the StaSet X line in any case and got a good deal on the new one on Ebay. Was looking for an excuse to change it so it didn't hurt so much to have to cut the old halyard when it got an override that locked up solid. Added a winch pad under the halyard winch and no longer have overide issues.
roverhi you seem to have a lot of knowledge on the subject,My question since you have to secure both end's of the line you have no swinging room that is the ablity to swing out to the end;s of the spreadrers.Am I,missing something or am I corret.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 17:11   #13

Boat: Com-pac 25

I have one and consider it safe (for my son to use). You could also use a quality safety tether and wear a life-vest with the D rings while going up. I don't know which one I have but it sure impressed me as well made and genius concept. Mine is not for sale.
Old 09-12-2012, 21:38   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You don't need to secure the line you climb on. I used to fasten the old halyard to a padeye at the mast base and crank it up tight but that was to take as much of the stretch out of the line as I could with a winch. With the Dyneema halyard, tie it loosely. Was able to paint the spreaders that way.
Old 09-12-2012, 21:48   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440

Have ordered one from Holland, Franz will supply and deliver for 195euros, Cheap!!!