Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 09:00   #1

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers

For Sale: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia (1993), $210,000, in Panama now, loaded with stuff that breaks, (almost) ready to cross the Pacific.

Read more about it here: Operation BABSAM. BABSAM is short for Buy a Boat, Save a Marriage.

My husband and I started cruising almost two years ago. We were newbs - sold and quit "everything" and sailed off into the sunset with no experience and no idea if this life would be a good "fit" for us. We cruised from Annapolis to Panama and through the Canal, intending to circumnavigate, and we were about to make the leap into the Pacific... but we decided to use our two-year "escape" clause. We have discovered about ourselves that the kind of travel adventure we're suited for involves more hotel rooms and fewer sanitation hoses.

Lots to learn from our mistakes, and Ean and I have made it our mission to be the "Cautionary Tale" - for example, here is a blog post I wrote after our first year of cruising: The Backside of a Dream

We haven't actually managed to STOP anyone from doing this cruising thing, as far as we know - dreamers are tough to deflect, as we well know! But our mission is to bring balance to the universe - the internet is full of Happy Bloggers, but we might be able to help potential cruisers manage their expectations and imagine an exit strategy. (And a good laugh at the absurdities is ALWAYS helpful.)

I have noticed in the blogging world that people who stop cruising often just fade away with no explanation and no honesty. Of course, people who blog are free to share as much or as little as they want - but why wouldn't you at least tell your readers the bare bones of what's going on? Are they ashamed or - what? They just want to move on, maybe.

Well, that was just a little dribble of consciousness, when I only intended to post a "for sale" sign - but I guess I'm in learning mode and feeling reflective, so there you have it.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 14-06-2013, 09:19   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers

I am sorry that you did not find cruising to your taste. It is definitely not for everyone. Glad you recognized that before going further. The anchorage in Papeete was full of cruisers that thought they wanted to circumnavigate and that was as far as they could manage. One needs to be very clear eyed before embarking on the cruising life. I wish you much happiness on your journey however, and where ever it takes you.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Well I won't say I'm sorry as it seems like the boating dream for you was not the ticket so I'll just wish the best on your next endeavor.

As you have found, cruising isn't for everyone. The care and feeding of a large, complex boat can be demanding and if your DIY skills aren't up to it or you just don't want to spend your fun time doing boat maintenance then sounds like time to move on.

Of course, you could always hire a captain/engineer/repair person and put him/her in a cramped little cabin at the other end of the boat to do all the dirty work.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:24   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I know a few people who had the dream of cruising the world, but, when it came to reality, it was more a nightmare than a dream.

We did do the whole circumnavigation thing and carried on another year but eventually decided we'd seen everything we wanted to see from afloat and are now planning land based adventures. My wife is guilty of just letting her blog fade away without explaining our decision. Must nag her to finish it off tidily!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 14-06-2013, 09:46   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Different lifestyles for different folks - absolutely nothing you should be disappointed about because it wasn't for you.

One thing that does come out of your blog and postings is your use of phrases like "completely over this boat", "it is a millstone", etc.

This will bring in low-ball offers like crazy, and those people will have good reason to stand pat on those low offers waiting for you to capitulate.

Personally, I would attempt to remove all of these tracks as possible from the web, take a different public approach as to why you are selling the boat, and wait until the boat sells to tell your whole story.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 14-06-2013, 10:08   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Please don't follow Marks advice. It is much more entertaining to see someone try and sell their boat with the same amount of research, insight and expertise as they did when they decided to sell all and sail around the world.
Old 14-06-2013, 10:23   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Tried to post before, but it didn't go through (crappy internet connection). Just wanted to say that Mark is probably right about the low-ball offers due to your candid post, but I have to say that it is very refreshing and I'd buy your boat if I had the bucks. Good luck!
Old 14-06-2013, 10:36   #8

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Mark is probably correct about the low-ball offers, given the candidness of your post, but I must say wholeheartedly, that I really like it.
If I had the bucks, I'd buy it.
Old 14-06-2013, 11:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Price seems about double what these boats have been selling for. I guess maybe less is broken than one might expect?
Old 14-06-2013, 11:31   #10

Yachtworld currently lists 7 of them between $220-335K. While those are list prices, it seems unlikely that they will sell for half of that or less. Where have you seen them selling for $110K?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 14-06-2013, 11:33   #11

BTW, it is difficult to check out your blog because I can't read the URL.

Mark

Old 14-06-2013, 11:46   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440

Good luck, you had a fair crack at it and we love the raw honesty, your boat will meet the market unless you want a fire sale or too much, somehow i believe you will middle road it.

Cheers and best wishes for the future ..... Frank & Vivi.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:02   #13

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Good Luck! I hope your experience selling Joy is a good one!
Old 14-06-2013, 13:37   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

I too applaud your honesty and also wisdom in going for Plan B (IMO boats is all about having a Plan B, with boat or without!). FWIW, me never even come close to setting off RTW and no great plans to do so (more a "I might do one day, but probably won't" thing!) but after 40 odd years (man and boy!) of "simply messing around in boats" I can certainly say that being married to a boat is my idea of a living nightmare. IME all the great adventures when on extended travels abroad tend to be ashore!, albeit likely because mine tend to involve people rather than views and stuff......

But I also vote for separating your honesty from your sale efforts - at the end of the day you are trying to sell a dream as much as a boat (doubly so if selling where presently located).
Old 14-06-2013, 15:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yachtworld currently lists 7 of them between $220-335K. While those are list prices, it seems unlikely that they will sell for half of that or less. Where have you seen them selling for $110K?

Mark
Those would certainly be optimistic prices for a 20 y/o charter cat. Have not really been following the market since I made other plans, but one sold here 18 months ago for 100K and I was close to a deal on one (FP 42 only now) for 75K that needed one engine replaced 20 months ago.

Tags
catamaran