Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 09:31   #1

Buying a Boat in Venezuela

Help. My priced boat is located in Venezuela. The boat is a large 72ft boat I have been considering for years and is perfect. Refitted exactly how I like, etc.

The question is - how does a non-venezuelan male from the USA get in to Venezuela (without being mugged / shot / stabbed / ), legally take ownership of her and get her out without ending up on a youtube video with a ransom speech direct to camera on a fishing/pirate vessel?

Id imagine I would need to ask them to move her to somewhere a little more desirable than mainland Venezuela?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
no_plastic_sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:35   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Buying a Boat in Venezuela

Get a jet, land in caracas, move to the boat location, hurry up cast off dock lines and pull the pedal to the metal....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:39   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Have them sail the boat to Chagaramas Boatyard in Trinidad. Do the deal there.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:48   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Or down wind to Colombia or Panama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:02   #5

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Man, sometimes u just gotta walk away from trouble. Thousands of people in Ven. crossing the borders just to buy food in other countries. Ven. is on fire in many ways...not the time to go for a fire sale on a dream boat. JMO.

There is some serious serious troubles going on there. Even u mentioned it. Listen to your gut feeling.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:40   #6

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Buying a Boat in Venezuela

You'd better off asking them to bring the boat to Curacao you can take ownership there its only 30 miles away on a brad reach. You better stay out of there its really bad as you well know. Good luck
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:43   #7

Boat: Caliber 33

Bonaire or Curacao is the nearest easiest place to do the paperwork.
Puerto la Cruz to Trinidad is one of the most dangerous trips in the Caribbean right now.
PR/BVI are easy out of hurricane season.

The owner should arrange for a trusted driver to meet your plane, and put you in a safe hotel. I think you need a visa to fly in.
He should also sail with you to leave if his papers are in order.
Leaving without papers is risking serious jail.

Unfortunately (for you) I am out of Venezuela until September, but maybe can help you if you contact me at water craft plc at g mail dot com - without spaces.
OndinePLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:03   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_plastic_sea View Post
Help. My priced boat is located in Venezuela. The boat is a large 72ft boat I have been considering for years and is perfect. Refitted exactly how I like, etc.

The question is - how does a non-venezuelan male from the USA get in to Venezuela (without being mugged / shot / stabbed / ), legally take ownership of her and get her out without ending up on a youtube video with a ransom speech direct to camera on a fishing/pirate vessel?

Id imagine I would need to ask them to move her to somewhere a little more desirable than mainland Venezuela?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
at this time, one does not consider being usa citizen and voluntarily appearing at the closed borders of venezuela.
you wanna go-- there are already 12 american citizens in prison in vene--the excuse for arresting these vacationers and a newly wed was espionage. they are considered spies. they are in political prison inside vene.
maduro hates usa because his nephews are incarcerated in usa prison for trafficking drugs. oops narconephews. retribution happens, and is happening there.
word from inside vene yesterday was there is no international telephonic communications, no open ports and borders are closed. an army general is now in charge iof food distribution and the ports. ok. sounds really friendly to me .
running out to buy a boat in a nation bordering on revolution is not always the least pricey way to go. might wanna consider something in a nation not caught up in major issues.
as a usa citizen, iff you are able to get across borders without being arrested, checking into the country might just be a slight issue in and of itself.
i think you would do better in long run buying in mexico or panama.

it willnot be the pirate fishing or other vessel you have to concern self with--it is government of venezuela being so very anti american at present.
ports close aug 1, so if you can get the owners to relocate, do it. mebbe they cannot and that may be the reason for the sale. could be the owners are in political incarceration in vene awaiting execution. cheap boats--just cannot move em out of vene. or ever claim rightful ownership. could be one of the yachts confiscated by govt, and unmoveable.
so many different possible scams on this one. be wary. there is a reason why the boat is so very very cheap. if it sounds too good to be true , it generally is that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 12:22   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

As has been said, it is extremely unwise to consider a trip to Venezuela at this time for any reason. Even in normal times it is a very dangerous place, but this is off the scale. Aside from the very real risks to your life, how do you plan on paying for this boat? You would be crazy to take a large quantity of cash into the country, and the banks are famously corrupt (don't get me started on my $9k loss) - you do not want to be doing such a large transaction there. And how do you know that this boat has clear title? If you are going to do this, do it in a safe place with good banking and legal systems. Curaçao is an easy trip and excellent Dutch business environment. Trinidad would also be a good place, but since someone familiar with the area has already reported that trip to be dangerous it sounds unwise.

Personally, if I wanted to buy this boat I would insist on the transaction occurring in Curaçao with the boat present. It will be a lot easier for the seller to get the boat there than for you to enter Venezuela and make it happen, and obtaining outbound clearance. Above all else you need to be certain of the provenance of this vessel, and that you will be buying it with a clear title and no questions of ownership or debts.

Sometimes a low price isn't a bargain...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 12:37   #10

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I bought my boat in Venezuela about 5 years ago. I feel very lucky to have gotten out alive and with the boat. It was nip and tuck. We loved the people, music and food but any government agency is a danger to you welfare.

Perhaps you could have the sale terms to include the seller moving the boat to Bonaire or Curaçao especially the latter if you want to do any work on the boat.

Hopefully you there are enough warning messages on this forum that you take note.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 13:04   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

Yes. Thank you, Dave, for the only sensible option.

I was in Venuzalea a few years ago and it was bad then. Impossible now.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 13:12   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

options are good. aug 1 vene ports close so move fast or may not be able to maneuver so easily.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 13:13   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Do not go.

Get the ex owner sail her to Grenada and deal there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 13:52   #14

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_plastic_sea View Post

Thoughts? Suggestions?
The boat is listed in the web??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 13:56   #15

2nd attempt at posting - looks like I messed something up editing.

I urge extreme caution and at best prudence. Venezuela is currently subject to sanctions, and if you're able to meet the vessel at a third location, if the owner is on the list of individuals deemed to be under sanctions due to their role in Venezuelan gov, you're going to be tainted.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...venezuela.aspx
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Venezuela