Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 09:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Making money off other cruisers

In Addition to the thread, Making money while cruising, it has come up that to opperate under the radar, your target of oppertunity would be to gain employment from other cruisers.. And we've seen this, pulling into an anchorage, within minutes, we've been approched by people offering their services,
But, often we send them away, as I do most all the work on our boat ourselves..
Save once, a lady approched us shortly after we dropped anchor offering fresh hot Tamales wrapped in foil.. that we purchased..
So the Question is from the other side, What would you be looking for that you cant take care of yourself???
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 09:16   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Making money off other cruisers

i want a mast monkey for lil stuff....and rewiring.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 09:39   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I get approached from time to time by people with pets if they recognize my house flag's caduceus.
Old 13-04-2012, 11:59   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Shore based diesel mechanics are either expensive or expensive liars and it is difficult to tell them apart at first.

I think a reliable diesel mechanic with a reasonable pricing scheme will always survive in this sailing world.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 12:02   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Now that I come to think of this probably a knowledgeable boat electrician may survive too - I see plenty of people having no idea of what is going on in their alternators / chargers / gensets, etc.. The bigger the boat, the more help they tend to need.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 13:09   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
I think a reliable diesel mechanic with a reasonable pricing scheme will always survive in this sailing world.
Agreed, always a need for a good diesel guy (or girl) as well as an electrican and or fridge/freezer guy with all the equipment and a few spares.
A rigger is always handy for tuning the rig or going up the mast to inspect or fix things.

I don't have much to offer except for classic good looks and so far the demand has been low..
Old 13-04-2012, 13:14   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I prefer employing local business persons whenever possible, especially if fabrication is involved.
Old 13-04-2012, 13:48   #8

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

We aren't cruising yet, still stuck in the marina doing a refit but I am shocked at the amount of people who never have time to lend a hand on our boat but feel ok asking if the DH would mind installing their autopilot/or other electrical equip...for free. :-/

Obviously I am not referring to the people on the dock who've lent us a hand, they get assistance with a happy heart. I'm speaking about the weekend warriors who find out the husband's credentials and seem to think proximity on the dock means they are entitled to free engineering... Thread drift but this came up again this weekend. It comes up almost every weekend. Sigh.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 15:46   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
We aren't cruising yet, still stuck in the marina doing a refit but I am shocked at the amount of people who never have time to lend a hand on our boat but feel ok asking if the DH would mind installing their autopilot/or other electrical equip...for free. :-/

Obviously I am not referring to the people on the dock who've lent us a hand, they get assistance with a happy heart. I'm speaking about the weekend warriors who find out the husband's credentials and seem to think proximity on the dock means they are entitled to free engineering... Thread drift but this came up again this weekend. It comes up almost every weekend. Sigh.
Come on you owe me!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 16:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I get approached from time to time by people with pets if they recognize my house flag's caduceus.
I guess the big "V" would be the give away......for those in the know of course....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 16:16   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I am not good at catching lobsters - sinus problems prevent me from doing much diving. When someone pulls alongside with lobsters for sale, that makes my day.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 16:23   #12

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
I guess the big "V" would be the give away......for those in the know of course....
True....
Old 13-04-2012, 17:20   #13

The first thing to remember is MOST cruisers have little or no money. There is a strong ethic of helping each other out, and this is a good thing. Like for like seems to be the method of remuneration Time and effort seem to be on the top of the list.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 17:23   #14

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

ok, so here is a vet question, Big V -- and all you others who have pets out there -- I get my dogs all their vaccinations and certs or whatever in the us and then I go down to the caribbean and spend winters in tobago or by the abc's. If we drift around and don't come back to the states for 5 or 6 years, how do I keep my dogs current on their shots, etc.

Could a cruising vet do that? Or do you get shots for your dogs anywhere along the way when they expire?

Just wondering, we are a couple of years away yet.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 17:32   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post

So next time you're new to a marina and someone asks you husband what he does/did for a living, instruct him to respond that he is/was an undertaker.

They'll leave you alone.

Tags
money