Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2010, 06:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
The City does it in Key West, I'll check the price next time I'm at the Dockmaster's office, but I think its $5.... I don't know for sure because it is included in my slip fees, so I never have to pay. I always thought for those on the moorings, having a big assed tank of fresh water to sell would be a good profit center for a turd tug operation.
Old 13-12-2010, 07:42   #17

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Most pumpout stations and boats in the US are funded by the federal clean boating act, which is administered by each state. If the pumpout facility has accepted any of the federal funds, they are limited by law to charging $5 or less per pumpout.

If your pumpout facility charges more than $5, check with your state to see if they are overcharging. I got charged $10 in Newport RI, and an email to the state Department of Environmental Quality got an overnight response with an offer of a free pumpout to get me back even.

Many times the law means nothing to many including state/town governments. This is especially true with city/town governments. For example, I briefly heard on a local radio station last week about one of the RI towns having over 200 illegal "stop" signs. OK, this is not related to pump outs but it is related to expecting big brother to enforce their own laws.

A local town in Massachusetts installed several flashing 30 MPH speed limit signs two years or so ago. Unfortunately they failed to get state approval to lower the state's 40 MPH authorized speed limit. It took several of my letters to the Massachusetts Highway Department to force that town to remove those signs.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 07:48   #18

Boat: Silverton 42
On a blog I read, the mobile pump out left a roll of toilet paper along with a clever note after a pump out. Be creative - your service AND your personality will go a long way. Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 17:51   #19

capngeo - George, my thought exactly, bring out some water at the same time! (say Hi to Dave & Doc on the turd tug from "Kenny")

Here in Stuart, FL the Marion County pump out boat is supposed to be free but the operator does expect a "tip". I'm told $5 is customary. I understand they fired one guy last year for near extortion on the tips. Staying on a mooring here at Sunset Bay, the service is free at the fuel dock but I generally tip anybody who has to handle the pump out hose. So, since I need water anyway, going to the fuel dock is the answer.

And semi related to the subject. If you have not seen the movie Kenny you should give it a try. Absolutely hilarious! YouTube trailer at -

Greg
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 17:59   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
capngeo - George, my thought exactly, bring out some water at the same time! (say Hi to Dave & Doc on the turd tug from "Kenny")

Here in Stuart, FL the Marion County pump out boat is supposed to be free but the operator does expect a "tip". I'm told $5 is customary. I understand they fired one guy last year for near extortion on the tips. Staying on a mooring here at Sunset Bay, the service is free at the fuel dock but I generally tip anybody who has to handle the pump out hose. So, since I need water anyway, going to the fuel dock is the answer.

And semi related to the subject. If you have not seen the movie Kenny you should give it a try. Absolutely hilarious! YouTube trailer at -

Greg
HeHe, you don't often see David on the "tug" unless one of the boats in the marina is on fire! I'll pass your hi along!
Old 13-12-2010, 20:27   #21

Boat: pontoon ,steel ,30foot ..Harbour Contractor
pumping..

thank's guy's..about what I figgered .. but here in canada there is no subsidy that I know of ..just a corner that no one is dealing with . and if I get a paying job out of it ..great.. an' yes I saw "Kenny" ..it was a good show . scary we might both end up in the same job..
kenjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 20:59   #22

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I just sold my 3-year-old SF Bay Area pumpout service earlier this week. We charged $25 for single pumpout up to 40 gallons. A secondary tank was $10. Each additional 15-gallon increment over 40 gallons was $5. Tank rinse was $10, odor treatment was $5.

At these rates (average service event invoiced out at $30), it's all about quantity.
I can't swear to it, but I think the pricing for mobile service is about the same here in San Diego...maybe a little higher.

I use the pump out station at our police dock and at one of our fuel docks, and there is no charge. I think there about a half a dozen pump outs throughout San Diego Bay, and I believe they're all free.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 21:10   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Cheaper to use

"wag bags",,,they are bags with an absorbent/perfume inside.
Fit into a bucket or head.....We use them in the woods of Maine...Got-em at West marine.

Do they need to have a license?....If not by a small Carolina Skiff, a diaphagm pump and some batteries and hose. Charge 20 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I pay about $40 for a pump-out. Hard to give you an exact price since for some reason they charge a different price every time they visit. They do my marina on Monday. If you want service on a different day than the scheduled day for your marina it is about $80.

I would describe myself as very dissatisfied, but since they are the only game in town.....
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 05:51   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I use the pump out station at our police dock and at one of our fuel docks, and there is no charge. I think there about a half a dozen pump outs throughout San Diego Bay, and I believe they're all free.
I have never run across a pumpout station in California that wasn't free. As previously mentioned, most pumpout stations are federally funded and if you charge for its use, that means keeping a set of books for it, reporting it to the feds, etc., etc., etc. Not to mention having to have somebody man the pumpout.

I think the OP will find (as I did) that on any given day, most of his clients will be liveaboards. The rest will be those boaters who simply would rather pay to have somebody else deal with this particular chore or are unable to move their boat to the pumpout station for whatever reason.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 21:45   #25

Quote:
I have never run across a pumpout station in California that wasn't free. As previously mentioned, most pumpout stations are federally funded and if you charge for its use, that means keeping a set of books for it, reporting it to the feds, etc., etc., etc. Not to mention having to have somebody man the pumpout.

I think the OP will find (as I did) that on any given day, most of his clients will be liveaboards. The rest will be those boaters who simply would rather pay to have somebody else deal with this particular chore or are unable to move their boat to the pumpout station for whatever reason.
I don't mean to pry and don't answer if I am, but can I ask why you sold a pump out service. I would think it might be a good business.
Old 14-12-2010, 22:09   #26

Boat: Beneteau 393
Just a quick side note- got a Christmas card from my old pump-out guy today even though he hasn't serviced us in 9+ months. What a good guy! Always donates for the annual marina clean-up, is local....smart businessman, too. I know who I'll be calling if I ever need that type of service again!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 22:21   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I don't mean to pry and don't answer if I am, but can I ask why you sold a pump out service. I would think it might be a good business.
I sold the business because I had bitten off more than I could chew by starting it. I own a pretty successful little hull cleaning company and honestly, simply didn't have the time or energy to devote to developing the pumpout business to its potential. It will be a pretty good part-time gig for new owner with plenty of growth opportunity, but I had to pay a boat driver because I still have to dive almost every day. So after expenses, it just didn't leave enough left over to really make it worth it to me to deal with the headaches and administration duties. Again, to make any real money in the pumpout game, you gotta have a lot of clients.

That, plus my boat driver (who also happens to be my 79-year-old father) was making noise about re-retiring. Seemed like the right time to get out.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 00:27   #28

Quote:
I sold the business because I had bitten off more than I could chew by starting it. I own a pretty successful little hull cleaning company and honestly, simply didn't have the time or energy to devote to developing the pumpout business to its potential. It will be a pretty good part-time gig for new owner with plenty of growth opportunity, but I had to pay a boat driver because I still have to dive almost every day. So after expenses, it just didn't leave enough left over to really make it worth it to me to deal with the headaches and administration duties. Again, to make any real money in the pumpout game, you gotta have a lot of clients.

That, plus my boat driver (who also happens to be my 79-year-old father) was making noise about re-retiring. Seemed like the right time to get out.
Makes sense to me too.
Old 16-12-2010, 09:43   #29

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
It will be a pretty good part-time gig for new owner with plenty of growth opportunity, .

This almost describes how the town officials operate pump outs where I dock my boat. YES, FOR GOOD WATER SAKE, LET US PUMP YOUR BOAT!!!

That is just fine if you don't mind their operating hours, 9AM-12PM (3 hours) on Saturdays and Sundays excluding holidays. But poop happens regardless of their hours.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 10:13   #30

Boat: Cal 2-29
Pump out stations

Hi Kenjh

Here is something you might find usefull, a list of Pumpout stations in BC with fee's charged.

Good luck with your venture

jb

Marine Pumpout Stations in British Columbia, Canada
nylajo is offline   Reply With Quote