Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 17:11   #61
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Mooring Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i had a ball in western florida--beautiful beaches and quiet clean anchorages...some really cool surprises, loved apalachiacola and the icw between there and port st joe--is beautiful there and the "lil hick towns' are quaint and easy to find what you need. local stores and publix and walmart are not inconvenient--and , in psj, there is an awesome goodwill store just 3 blox from the boat....
water street hotel marina in apalach--was 1 dollar per foot per night in high season and we paid 50 cents per foot in off season..lovely place with a nice chubby raccoon. papa joes for seafood --awesome! kayak in the marshes--wear skeeter repellant...beautiful! and the fishing was ok too.
psj marina was 1 dollar per foot in off season, and 1.50/ft in high season.

The "skeeter repellant" is a good thing to have in much of Florida. The "No-seeums" are worse than the mosquitoes IMO. They feel like little sharp needles attacking you. I've seen them form "bait balls" in the air. Then they zoom in for the attack. It's like something out of a cartoon!

Zeehag wasn't kidding about the sometimes "confused waters" off the coast of Florida. You want to stay out of those waters at low tide if you can.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:16   #62

Sorry to post on your post but can someone tell me how to write a new post please?! Am I being really blind or stupid but I can't see a button anywhere! Thanks.

Found it! Don't worry.
arcticyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:19   #63

Boat: Allures 44

Kettlewell's Florida advice is great, from the 90% on the hook advice to the specific recommendations on where to visit - what I would say, but better written.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:14   #64

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The "No-seeums" are worse than the mosquitoes IMO. They feel like little sharp needles attacking you. I've seen them form "bait balls" in the air. Then they zoom in for the attack. It's like something out of a cartoon!
Good LORD, how I hate those buggers! If you try to screen against them, you'll get no breeze through the boat at night.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:10   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Good LORD, how I hate those buggers! If you try to screen against them, you'll get no breeze through the boat at night.
That's why I'm setting up my boat to use air conditioning at anchor. Hot nights I can handle if I can get a little ventilation and maybe a fan. Do not want to choose between being locked in an airless cabin suffering from heat stroke or opening the hatches and getting eaten alive by noseeums.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:42   #66

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac

That's why I'm setting up my boat to use air conditioning at anchor. Hot nights I can handle if I can get a little ventilation and maybe a fan. Do not want to choose between being locked in an airless cabin suffering from heat stroke or opening the hatches and getting eaten alive by noseeums.
I'd be interested in your plans for doing that. I imagine you'll need to run a genset? I was wondering if anyone has come up with an air conditioner that uses propane, like some refrigeration units.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:58   #67

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We avoid mooring balls altogether ... anchor all over the BVI's in the last few months. Day time on mooring balls is free so sometimes it is convenient to tie up to one in a nice spot ... at night we slip off and anchor nearby. As for No See Ums and mozzies ... terrible little guys ... tried everything and two things work really well for us. 1. our little but efficient air purifier which we add insect repellent to and also smells great. It really keeps the insects away. 2. Burning coils (the green ones) which we have in a small clay pot.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:46   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We avoid mooring balls altogether ... anchor all over the BVI's in the last few months. Day time on mooring balls is free so sometimes it is convenient to tie up to one in a nice spot ... at night we slip off and anchor nearby. As for No See Ums and mozzies ... terrible little guys ... tried everything and two things work really well for us. 1. our little but efficient air purifier which we add insect repellent to and also smells great. It really keeps the insects away. 2. Burning coils (the green ones) which we have in a small clay pot.

Something else people might try is using the coarser mesh -- and then spray it with mosquito repellant. I have holes in my netting for things like my split backstay. I haven't tried it yet but friends assure me that spraying even those larger holes will keep mosquitoes and noseeums out. If it would work on a hole a couple of inches in diameter it should work on regular screen. I live quite comfortably on my boat even in the summer most of the time, with netting always up except for sailing (it keeps the cats in) and there's enough air movement with fans that it's quite tolerable. I rarely use my hatch AC.
Old 11-10-2012, 00:33   #69

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Once again some very informative information that is slowly enabling us to get a clearer picture of how to "survive" the cruising lifestyle, thanks.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:10   #70

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

I think there is a language confusion here. OP asked about mooring fees. Does he mean, how much does it cost to pick tether to a mooring buoy held in place by a big anchor out in the harbor, or does he mean how much is a slip in a marina with dock lines holding the boat next to a wharf? In Virginia, I know of no moorings available, most harbors have room to anchor, and there are a zillion of protected coves where over night anchoring is wonderful and free. Marina slip fees here are mostly either per night or else by the year. Most marinas in my area, if you anchor out, will let you come ashore and take showers and use laundry machines for a small fee, $10 or so. I have always found swinging on the anchor more comfortable than being in a slip.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
I think there is a language confusion here. OP asked about mooring fees. Does he mean, how much does it cost to pick tether to a mooring buoy held in place by a big anchor out in the harbor, or does he mean how much is a slip in a marina with dock lines holding the boat next to a wharf? In Virginia, I know of no moorings available, most harbors have room to anchor, and there are a zillion of protected coves where over night anchoring is wonderful and free. Marina slip fees here are mostly either per night or else by the year. Most marinas in my area, if you anchor out, will let you come ashore and take showers and use laundry machines for a small fee, $10 or so. I have always found swinging on the anchor more comfortable than being in a slip.
Ok, perhaps I should clarify what I meant: I was trying to get an idea of both a slip (ie: alongside a slip/jetty at a Marina as well as an anchor buoy further out and also whether one is charged for anchoring out in a protected bay/area with a Marina close by.

Either way if anyone wishes to add some info they could just say what they are referring to when they mention a price.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I'd be interested in your plans for doing that. I imagine you'll need to run a genset? I was wondering if anyone has come up with an air conditioner that uses propane, like some refrigeration units.
Have not run into any propane or other alternative options so yes, going with a genset, but a smaller, cheaper option.

Since I would only use the AC in those rare nights when the combination of heat and bugs makes sleeping below intolerable I don't see the need for a heavy, expensive built in diesel generator. Also don't need to make it arctic cold inside, just kill the humidity and make it not hot.

So plan it to get a Honda EU2000 which I want for backup charging and other uses anyway. The problem is the Honda is very marginal in capacity to handle the high starting loads for A/C compressors so have added a Victron inverter/charger with A/C power boost feature that will automatically kick in to supplemental the Honda's power when needed.

I thought I saw a mention of DC air conditioning systems in a post somewhere but don't know if that was a mistake or if they really exist. Even if they do I think it would take a heap of battery capacity to keep one running overnight without some charge running.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08   #73

Please keep us informed as to what you find in 12 volt air conditioner units
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Kettlewell's Florida advice is great, from the 90% on the hook advice to the specific recommendations on where to visit - what I would say, but better written.

One of the great advantages to anchoring out is that mosquitoes and no-seeums are both shore creatures.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:20   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have not run into any propane or other alternative options so yes, going with a genset, but a smaller, cheaper option.

Since I would only use the AC in those rare nights when the combination of heat and bugs makes sleeping below intolerable I don't see the need for a heavy, expensive built in diesel generator. Also don't need to make it arctic cold inside, just kill the humidity and make it not hot.

So plan it to get a Honda EU2000 which I want for backup charging and other uses anyway. The problem is the Honda is very marginal in capacity to handle the high starting loads for A/C compressors so have added a Victron inverter/charger with A/C power boost feature that will automatically kick in to supplemental the Honda's power when needed.

I thought I saw a mention of DC air conditioning systems in a post somewhere but don't know if that was a mistake or if they really exist. Even if they do I think it would take a heap of battery capacity to keep one running overnight without some charge running.

Not sure how the thread changed to gensets etc? lol

Tags
fees, mooring