Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2023, 07:25   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: No sailing experience but wanting to buy a 41ft morgan out island as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
How would you know?

Because I own a sailboat and have been at anchor on it for days in a row multiple times.

It's pretty easy to figure out how it would be to live that way 24/7/365 once you have that experience.

Well, I should say it's pretty easy for most folks to figure out with that sort of experience but some it appears need more help I guess.

Not sure if it's a mental problem or what.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 08:02   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: No sailing experience but wanting to buy a 41ft morgan out island as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Living at anchor and trying to work also would be a royal PITA.

Just doing laundry and getting groceries to and from the boat would take lots of extra time.

Then there's the unexpected weather.

Next are you good at anchoring? It seems to be a big subject here as many don't seem to understand how.

What will power your lights and A/C

It gets very hot in Panama City during the season, and there isn't always a breeze to cool things off.

Then for every storm there's a new problem to deal with. Even just a tropical storm. That bay gets quite a bit of wind in there at times, but I guess you have never sailed or been on a boat out there to actually see it.

Are you going to use a dinghy to get to shore or something you paddle.

An OI 41 is huge so if you need to haul it or paint the bottom or make repairs, it will cost quite a bit.

Speaking of living at anchor, does the boat have good anchors or will you have to buy those also.

How about a generator for the A/C?

It's doable but with no experience you can only see about half the problems/hurdles you would have to deal with especially at anchor then if you decide to abandon the anchoring idea and find a marina for that size boat in PC I'm guessing wouldn't be cheap. So what then?

Many here including me have had similar dreams, but then the reality hits and we have adjusted our dream.

Some of us get a smaller sailboat that we can stay on during weekends while we learn then make a plan to live on the boat or a larger one at anchor when we aren't working.

Everyone does it differently though.

Do you yell at teenagers to get off your lawn too?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 08:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Do you yell at teenagers to get off your lawn too?
I don't have a lawn over here.

And at the country house, there aren't any teenagers that walk around.

Actually very few people walk or exercise over there.

I have a work force though with some as young as 29, and I don't yell at them if that helps.
Old 22-05-2023, 08:16   #34

Go for it. If you change your mind later, you can just try something else. It's important to do what inspires you, even if it turns out slightly different than you expected (most likely it will).

I've bought boats, motorcycles, computers, etc without any experience and figured them out as I went.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 08:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
Go for it. If you change your mind later, you can just try something else. It's important to do what inspires you, even if it turns out slightly different than you expected (most likely it will).

I've bought boats, motorcycles, computers, etc without any experience and figured them out as I went.
His problem though would be that he is in Panama City, FL and thinks the rent is too high so maybe a huge sailboat at anchor would fix that.

If it doesn't work out, he could be in big trouble financially until he can get rid of the ancient old boat or find a place to store it

If you have the cash this "Go For It" attitude taking a shot at some dream works great, but if not, it can really mess up someone's finances and housing situation. (and social life)

And BTW buying a computer or motorcycle without experience doesn't compare with turning your life upside down to try and live at anchor on an old sailboat

Also, no one has even mentioned boat upkeep yet which can get expensive......

Just the old "GO For It" thing without any thought to possible consequences of such a decision
__________________________________________________ ________________

Speaking of rent, after Hurricane Ivan the rents started to increase the same way in Pensacola. (most all housing on Pensacola Beach was unfit to live in for a year or so) The apartment I lived in then and until 2009 was about $740/month. Now for the same 2BR/2BA apartment it's $1550/month (1010 sq ft)

My apartment was the one straight back in the photo in link second floor behind the pool

http://www.thejamestownestates.com/

https://www.thejamestownestates.com/.../conventional/
Old 22-05-2023, 08:31   #36

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

To be fair to Thomm living on the hook/mooring does bring challenges.

My wife and I live on a mooring in Key West and work full time+. You tend to plan your day in more detail in advance just to streamline the logistics. They're there but becomes routine.

It has done wonders for my budget and waistline. No last-minute runs to the store to get ice cream, you plan your food purchases out better. Limits impulse purchases because you need to limit weight on the dinghy. You think about things like electrical and water consumption, which automatically makes you use less as your more aware (living smaller was a big reason we went this route).

I used to think my Morgan was huge, that I had bought too much boat. Then the wife and dogged moved aboard....

I didn't realize it at the time of purchase, but the aft cabin is a huge psychological benefit. Being able to go to "the other room" is big for me for some reason. I've also lived on an aft cockpit as a comparison.

I miss having in house laundry. I HATE doing laundry, and having it eat up a couple hours each week on a day off vs just doing it while I sleep or whatever sucks.

One afternoon of watching dolphins frolick 5ft from your living room makes up for the challenges
Old 22-05-2023, 08:47   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
To be fair to Thomm living on the hook/mooring does bring challenges.

My wife and I live on a mooring in Key West and work full time+. You tend to plan your day in more detail in advance just to streamline the logistics. They're there but becomes routine.

It has done wonders for my budget and waistline. No last-minute runs to the store to get ice cream, you plan your food purchases out better. Limits impulse purchases because you need to limit weight on the dinghy. You think about things like electrical and water consumption, which automatically makes you use less as your more aware (living smaller was a big reason we went this route).

I used to think my Morgan was huge, that I had bought too much boat. Then the wife and dogged moved aboard....

I didn't realize it at the time of purchase, but the aft cabin is a huge psychological benefit. Being able to go to "the other room" is big for me for some reason. I've also lived on an aft cockpit as a comparison.

I miss having in house laundry. I HATE doing laundry, and having it eat up a couple hours each week on a day off vs just doing it while I sleep or whatever sucks.

One afternoon of watching dolphins frolick 5ft from your living room makes up for the challenges
I'm betting you have the money though to take it or live it.

As far as dolphins go I usually sail out on my boat, the one I bought for $2,000, if I need to see some dolphins frolicking around

It's pretty cool when they turn to look up at you as you are looking down at them.

Btw my apartment is about 2 miles from my marina which makes it nice so maybe I'm spoiled a bit. Marina is between work and the apartment. (and this apartment is under $1200/month so quite a bit cheaper than the one in Pensacola)

As far as laundry, we apartment dwellers have a similar problem as our machines can only be used during certain hours (not too early and not too late) so when I do go to my home I take everything that is even close to needing to be washed. Plus we have a well at my house and the water is free.

Old 22-05-2023, 08:55   #38

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
I'm betting you have the money though to take it or live it.
You'd lose that bet, lol. I make good money but not f*** it money. I'd have to sell the boat to move to land to start over. And I sure couldn't afford to live in the Keys on management salary.

I did do it in phases to build up to living on the hook. House with kids, to apartment when kids moved out, to living on a boat at a marina in Jacksonville, to where we are now.
Old 22-05-2023, 09:04   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Because I own a sailboat and have been at anchor on it for days in a row multiple times.
guess that is same as you knowing what cruising is like because you once had a beach cat
Old 22-05-2023, 09:16   #40

Boat: Tayana 37

If it is your goal to do this because you like boats and the water and while having no experience really want to learn to sail then it one thing. Go for it.

If you are doing this soley because you think it will be cheap well it likely won't and the frustrations & complications won't be worth the cost savings. Find some trailer park and live there to save money.

If you maintain your boat, make quality of life upgrades, have insurance, and regularly use a marina (even if not full time) it isn't going to be that cheap and boats are expensive depreciating assets. Boats don't make economic sense. Neither do racecars but for some reason nobody says I should buy a lambo and live in it to save money.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 10:38   #41

Quote:
guess that is same as you knowing what cruising is like because you once had a beach cat
Pretty much plus my time on power boats and my current cruising boat.

I at least knew enough to know about wakes from passing boats and banging halyards on windy days at most any marina both of which came as a total surprise to you when you started cruising as a total beginner.

You even posted about it not knowing that over half the owners of boats at most or many marinas rarely visit their boats and less ever take them out.

I'm no beginner.
Old 22-05-2023, 10:58   #42

The thing many don't understand about places like Pensacola and Panama City that have never lived in places like that is that when a major hurricane comes through it totally changes the place.

Rents go way up if you can even find one after a major hurricane.

The hurricanes destroy or damage so many residences that those people either move in with relatives or have to find a place to rent. Some of them have lots of money and may pay more to get a place

In 2004, Ivan destroyed most of the homes on Pensacola Beach and surrounding areas plus access was next to impossible for weeks to months. Those folks all had to find new homes and no one wants to leave in a FEMA Trailer Park.

That's worse than living at a marina where folks party until all hours.

Then there are all the contractors coming in and they need rentals or motels etc. and it goes from there.

On top of that the sheer anxiety that occurs every time a storm/hurricane gets into the Gulf can way on you.

First all the bread, batteries, water, and generators disappear then the gas stations start running out of gas or there is a long line to get gas
Old 22-05-2023, 11:37   #43
CLOD

[QUOTE=thomm225;3780398]Pretty much plus my time on power boats and my current cruising boat.

I at least knew enough to know about wakes from passing boats and banging halyards on windy days at most any marina both of which came as a total surprise to you when you started cruising as a total beginner.

You even posted about it not knowing that over half the owners of boats at most or many marinas rarely visit their boats and less ever take them out.

I'm no beginner.[/QUOTE

Yeah, meanwhile I have been a full time cruiser for 6.5 years and you are an internet cruiser "expert" who barely as been beyond sight of your keyboard.

this is sure to lead some "story"
Old 22-05-2023, 12:40   #44

Quote:

Yeah, meanwhile I have been a full time cruiser for 6.5 years and you are an internet cruiser "expert" who barely as been beyond sight of your keyboard.
That's your problem that you have been doing nothing but cruising for 6.5 years not mine.

I've cruised (for the past 12 years), worked, gotten new computer tech certifications, bought a home, a car for the ex-wife, etc., etc.

As far as internet cruising "expert", I believe you still retain that title with your 19,522 posts as of this moment.

At this time, I'm replacing my rigging while still sailing/cruising.

Already replaced the chain plates and a couple turnbuckles.

I'm doing it with the mast up. Ever climb your mast using a webbing ladder sailorboy1?

I sort of doubt it.
Old 22-05-2023, 13:02   #45
CLOD

Quote:

I've cruised (for the past 12 years),.
You haven't cruised. All you have done is go anchor in a creek somewhere. Everyone knows this as you spin it into your anticruise posts all the time.

Tags
enc, liveaboard, morgan, morgan out island, sail, sailing