Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2023, 13:13   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: No sailing experience but wanting to buy a 41ft morgan out island as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

I'm no beginner.
You actually have to start cruising to become a beginner.
Old 22-05-2023, 13:54   #47

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: No sailing experience but wanting to buy a 41ft morgan out island as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You haven't cruised. All you have done is go anchor in a creek somewhere.

Yeah, then I sail home from that creek. (if I was lucky enough to anchor in a nice calm creek instead of the numerous rough anchorages I have been stuck in)

I can't wait to sail to the very Northern end of the Chesapeake Bay and not have to worry about getting back but I have sailed, cruised, and explored the lower or Southern most 100 miles on the Western and Eastern sides plus fished near Tangier and Watts Island as a teenager on my own boat.

I may have to get another small power boat when I retire so I can get into the shallow spawning areas of the Speckled Trout near my home on the Eastern Shore

Btw, good to see you finally got off that mooring in Marathon where you have been "Cruising Florida" for the last 6 years.

I know how much you love my videos so....these two are a couple of my best cruising trips because when I was ready to get the hell off the boat, I got home quick!

Once from 35-40 miles out and the other from 20 miles out.

Got home in three hours from 20 miles out due to the 30-35 knot winds.

I must say though I was a bit worried about the rigging on my $2,000 sailboat during that crossing as it is at least 20-25 years old.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Specks.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	275711  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 14:12   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

The Trump story telling of cruising cracks me up. Between the covid thing and some family things have not cruised as much as would have like the past 6 years. So have only done about 16,000 miles around that mooring ball in Marathon.
Old 22-05-2023, 14:17   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Geez, guys, calm down. There are many ways to cruise, from crossing oceans and going to foreign countries, to sailing coastally, or only on weekends while working.

The purpose of this thread is to help someone decide if he wants to live aboard an OI 41 at anchor AND work -- in a hurricane zone. And, in truth, it is not the most convenient nor inexpensive alternative.

Carry on, rudeness will cause thread closure.

Ann
Old 22-05-2023, 14:19   #50

Quote:
The Trump story telling of cruising cracks me up. Between the covid thing and some family things have not cruised as much as would have like the past 6 years. So have only done about 16,000 miles around that mooring ball in Marathon.
(Ann, last one) Btw OP is still on post #1. He may have already bought the OI 41. If so, I hope it works out, and he has a few years with no major storms while he learns.

Covid?

That's good.

We worked the entire time here, and I only got Covid twice. (with just one death in the workforce but he also smoked and was overweight)

(Age 59. total shock as he was about to be released from the hospital then he was gone. That antibody reaction thing I guess)

Lungs just now recovering so I now only need to stop 3 times on my 3 mile runs and struggle for air/oxygen. That stuff is important my body keeps telling me during these runs.

The Pilots, NFO's, and technicians had to get their training regardless.
Old 22-05-2023, 14:44   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
(Ann, last one) Btw OP is still on post #1.
I doubt this is the last one Thomm, the temptation to be right is over powering.

In regards to the OP only posting once...can you blame him? I would have left too and joined a religious sailing cult forum after a belly full of this rhetoric.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 15:30   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I doubt this is the last one Thomm, the temptation to be right is over powering.
I meant last one to SB1. (that argument is over)

As far as being right, I have been right the entire time as you know. (but can't face your mistake)

That isn't the point.

Btw, I'm thinking a 14' Lowe Jon Boat w/25 HP Mercury 4 stroke will be my next boat to use for speckled trout at home when I retire.

They call it the circle of life so I'll go back to a boat similar to what I had from 15-19 years old plus have my Bristol 27 if I need to escape during the Winter and head back to someplace like Pensacola, FL. (the ex lives at my house also. We got divorced in 1997. House is 2100 sq ft so that helps)

I can also use it below the dam at Pickwick Tennessee, Tennessee River for Striper where I fished in the 80's and early 90's catching smaller 8-10 lb striper..

https://crisfield.com/gold/rigs/Lowe...Rig/index.html

Old 22-05-2023, 16:07   #53

Should have added this about Pickwick.

This is above the dam in the lake which is where the sailors are.

I would take breaks from fishing over there to see the sailboats.

I once met a lady sitting on a wooden sailboat at the marina there in 33 degree weather.

She was reading a novel and I was walking the docks planning for the sailboat I'd have in retirement.

I was around 35 years old and didn't know I'd be transferred back to the coast this time to Pensacola, FL in a few years

I had yet to buy my first beach cat as I had only 2 years before completed getting my degree, BA in History. I was working full time and going to college. My wife was raising our son and didn't work yet

Anyway the boat had the mast down and I asked her about it. She said they had come down from I think Chicago headed to the Gulf via the Tombigbee

She was about the age I am now late 60's. She said her husband was asleep below as they had come in during the night

Btw, there are some very nice sailboats sailing on that small lake. See in video.

I crewed on a Pearson 30 and Beneteau 35.5 just a few years later there. I was asked after winning a couple Hobie 16 regattas plus folks always needed crew on those boats especially since that lake was 100 miles away from Memphis.

Old 22-05-2023, 16:28   #54
Marine Service Provider

I am completely baffled
Old 22-05-2023, 16:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I am completely baffled
Could be Dementia.

You are about that age when it can occur.

Please see a doctor.

I'm starting to worry about you.
Old 22-05-2023, 17:01   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I am completely baffled
bet not anymore
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 17:19   #57

Quote:
bet not anymore
Right.

I think I was able to help.

Hopefully he will see someone soon.
Old 22-05-2023, 17:24   #58
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
bet not anymore
NPD .....
Old 22-05-2023, 19:23   #59

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I feel for the OP. He didn't deserve this...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 19:52   #60

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I feel for the OP. He didn't deserve this...
His plan was to buy a 41 foot sailboat with zero experience to save money. So it might be a good thing if he was scared off of it.

Living aboard a boat because you love boats sounds like a good plan. Living aboard a boat because you are handy and want the DIY challenge why not. Living aboard a boat with zero experience to save money usually ends terribly. It is never as cheap as people think. The minor inconvinences in a weekend trip are far more frustrating day in and day out.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, liveaboard, morgan, morgan out island, sail, sailing