Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 08:09   #1

Comparing Jeanneau DS models....and Catalina 400

Hi There - my wife and I have been looking for solid candidates for our liveaboard plans in the coming 2 years. We own a Catalina 27, have crewed offshore on a friend's Beneteau First 35, and done 4 weeks of bare boat chartering on production monohulls and catamarans in Bahamas, USVI and Mexico. We really like the interior light, large cockpit, and large aft stateroom on the ~40' Jeanneau DS models.

Is there a good place on the web to read about comparisons of the 40, 41, 42, 43? I have looked at the sailboat data...data, so see that they are slightly different in some specs, and have different designers...but until we actually get out and sail a few, trying to do some research and learn about the models and years.

I am also throwing the Catalina 400 in here bc it has a lot of the same high level features...and there seem to be enough of them out there to consider.

Appreciate any pointers or info from folks with direct experience.

Thx
TJohnson36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Comparing Jeanneau DS models....and Catalina 400

Welcome to the forum, TJohnson.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:16   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The DS except the 400 are dolls and just a touch lower performance than the Sun Odyssey borrowed hull. They are more luxurious than SO. Better winch layout on most of them. The 50 is a doll.
The Catalina every bit the Jeanneaus peer looks kinda 1990 with the bullnose coach roof.
The new Beneteau First 36 is a doll cost more than a 40.1 cause it’s finally a first hull and nasty fast. Not a live a board.
If you are searching old the Beneteau 473 or Jeanneau 43 will cost way less than the 44 SD version and easier to find .
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:54   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Took an older model 45 DS through a big Atlantic storm a few years ago , very impressed, good sea boat , strong , stable and well mannered.
Old 02-05-2022, 22:20   #5

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I just completed a long list of up grades on a Catalina 400 that had been sitting long term ashore, the new owner's hired me to do a number of project's, including drilling some holes , i was impressed with the boat for a production boat and sails beautifully.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:06   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have a 2004 Jeanneau 43ds. Very happy with it and impressed how it handled some enormous seas very well going S across Biscay in F5-6 shortly after a westerly F9 so the Atlantic rollers were impressive. I almost bought a second hand 45ds but while there is a little more space the finish inside is plastic made to look like wood, those long forward sloping saloon windows look nice but make the saloon worse than a greenhouse in the summer. Hull construction of the 45ds is with an inner hull lining instead of the classic longitudinal stringers in the 43ds. Each aft cabin of the 45ds only has two opening hatches compared to the 43ds which has 3.
What to look for if you go for this model? The ver i have is the one with the removable panels so the aft 2 double cabins can be opened out to make one large double, the full width of the boat. Much better in the summer since you get a better through draft. The forward two double cabins can also be opened out to one and make the head en suite but i usually leave that as it is since i find the smaller cabin w the 2 pullman berths is useful for storage of cases and other stuff on the lower bunk, leaving the upper as a single. The 43ds with these removable panels makes it v flexible if you are on your own, just two, or have family/friends visiting since you have a choice of the cabin configuration between 2, 3 or 4 double cabins.
If you find a pre-2004 ver be careful and inspect the step under the SS mast support. This had a habit of getting a bit crushed, particularly if it got wet. It causes other problems such as the fit of the saloon windows which might start leaking bec the deck is slightly collapsing around the foot of the mast, it also means you cannot get the rig tension correct. There is a solution but the mast must come off. Not sure of costs but $10-15,000 is probably in the ball park. 2004 versions and later did not hv this prblm. The 43ds came with a 54hp Yanmar as standard but most have the optional 75hp Yanmar which is basically the same engine but has a turbo. Both have an excellent reputation but i would go for the 75hp if you can. Consumption of the 75hp is a fraction under 3 litres/hour at 2,000-2,200rpm and 6-7 Kn. I did a lot of upgrades on mine incl new sails with an in-mast furling vertically battened main which gives about 20% more sail area than the standard in-mast furling main. We have created a section within the Jeanneau Owners website for the 43ds which has some passionate followers all keen to share various challenges and potential modifications/upgrades. (https://jeanneau.proboards.com/board...n-odyssey-43ds )
Best of luck in your search
Andrew
"Genal Bee"
Old 03-05-2022, 05:30   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
I have a 2004 Jeanneau 43ds. Very happy with it and impressed how it handled some enormous seas very well going S across Biscay in F5-6 shortly after a westerly F9 so the Atlantic rollers were impressive. I almost bought a second hand 45ds but while there is a little more space the finish inside is plastic made to look like wood, those long forward sloping saloon windows look nice but make the saloon worse than a greenhouse in the summer. Hull construction of the 45ds is with an inner hull lining instead of the classic longitudinal stringers in the 43ds. Each aft cabin of the 45ds only has two opening hatches compared to the 43ds which has 3.
What to look for if you go for this model? The ver i have is the one with the removable panels so the aft 2 double cabins can be opened out to make one large double, the full width of the boat. Much better in the summer since you get a better through draft. The forward two double cabins can also be opened out to one and make the head en suite but i usually leave that as it is since i find the smaller cabin w the 2 pullman berths is useful for storage of cases and other stuff on the lower bunk, leaving the upper as a single. The 43ds with these removable panels makes it v flexible if you are on your own, just two, or have family/friends visiting since you have a choice of the cabin configuration between 2, 3 or 4 double cabins.
If you find a pre-2004 ver be careful and inspect the step under the SS mast support. This had a habit of getting a bit crushed, particularly if it got wet. It causes other problems such as the fit of the saloon windows which might start leaking bec the deck is slightly collapsing around the foot of the mast, it also means you cannot get the rig tension correct. There is a solution but the mast must come off. Not sure of costs but $10-15,000 is probably in the ball park. 2004 versions and later did not hv this prblm. The 43ds came with a 54hp Yanmar as standard but most have the optional 75hp Yanmar which is basically the same engine but has a turbo. Both have an excellent reputation but i would go for the 75hp if you can. Consumption of the 75hp is a fraction under 3 litres/hour at 2,000-2,200rpm and 6-7 Kn. I did a lot of upgrades on mine incl new sails with an in-mast furling vertically battened main which gives about 20% more sail area than the standard in-mast furling main. We have created a section within the Jeanneau Owners website for the 43ds which has some passionate followers all keen to share various challenges and potential modifications/upgrades. (https://jeanneau.proboards.com/board...n-odyssey-43ds )
Best of luck in your search
Andrew
"Genal Bee"
We have a 2002 43DS, the same as SaltyMetals. Everything he says is bang on. We've had ours since 2013 and very much enjoy it for months of liveaboard at a time. The huge aft cabin is a luxury; the forward small cabin makes a great storage cabin, and the v-berth is adequate for guests (if they aren't too big). She sails very well too.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:29   #8

Lots of great info in here, thx for all the details. Exactly the info I am trying to gather.

I have been dubious about this idea of the removable cabin dividers....but from your info it sounds like that was something supported by the factory, not an aftermarket alteration by certain owners. The configurability that you mention would be very appealing to us. Mostly just the two of us, and appreciating extra storage, but then when two kids in their 20s want to come visit, having more cabin options.

Thx again!
TJohnson36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:47   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

TJ,
I did put together diagrams and a machining program for those 43ds owners who wished to add the flexibility resulting from the removable cabin dividers (but only for the aft cabin since the fwd cabin is a lot more permanent in the 43ds 2 cabin version and would be difficult to change). Details are on the Jeanneau 43ds owners website but you need to contact me for the program.
Much easier to buy the 43ds ver which already has the conversion possibilities if you wish to have the 2,3 or 4 cabin flexibility.
Best of luck
Andrew
Old 04-05-2022, 12:18   #10

Really nice to hear from owners with experiences. They are Jewels in every club.
I’ve always seen them with the huge aft master. There is a White 50’ in Michigan for sale a touch over 3. They hold there value really well. There is a 50 in dark blue in the city. The owner keeps it perfect. You might also try IVT in San Diego. He can probably find you the right model.
Old 04-05-2022, 13:08   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I had a Jeanneau 42DS and a Catalina 42. Both great boats. Loved the Jeanneau aft cabin. The Jeanneau has little storage for things like sails and other bulky items. I’ve looked at the Catalina 40 and thought the aft cabin a little cramped.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 14:48   #12

BEneteau and Jeanneau have several models with moving walls. One configuration of the new Jeanneau SO 60 has a convertible twin bow which converts to a big single Queen. The panels have a storage space in the boat. Life changes or even weekend invite list so it’s a great feature.
Old 04-05-2022, 17:16   #13

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I kept my 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i with a local Jeanneau dealer, they are a Catalina dealer as well. I poked around used vessels they had for sail with the brokerage. When I compare the two at similar sizes up and down the lines, the Js are slightly cleaner and longer in the lines of design, and to that point larger in volume of interior and cockpit space. The Js tend to have more modern attributes, I do not personally like the DS design because of the windows just me. Try visiting the Facebook groups and reading there treads, you may even find a seller.
They are both good strong well built production vessels the Jeanneau has a broader cruising range is what the dealer has stated, Catalina is easier to find replacement parts for if you are looking to do straight swap outs, upgrades can be found on Amazon.
The Yanmar 4jh5e, 3jh4e and similar models of Yanmar are great low maintenance motors my local marina has 3 launch’s with the 4jh4e’s and they do a rebuild every 10k, they have one motor on the 4th rebuild, to me that’s indestructible.
I would search the Jeanneau models that have glassed in grid systems to support there hull skins found in vessels 2012 and earlier. I have a performance version and the dealer says that’s the best version of every model if offered by Jeanneau, it was actually not mentioned by the seller when I bought it, the deeper drafts point higher and track truest.
PM me if you are loooking for more.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, jeanneau, model