Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2023, 05:39   #1

boat shopping, opinions on jeanneau?

hi all,

im in the market for a new boat, and i will have the ability to pull the trigger on one this summer.

i really like the Jeanneau 42 deck saloon, especially that king size bed in the aft stateroom. this will be used as a west coast boat ie canada and mexico and maybe hawaii with home being washington.

would love to hear opinions
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:40   #2

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: boat shopping, opinions on jeanneau?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook92 View Post
hi all,

im in the market for a new boat, and i will have the ability to pull the trigger on one this summer.

i really like the Jeanneau 42 deck saloon, especially that king size bed in the aft stateroom. this will be used as a west coast boat ie canada and mexico and maybe hawaii with home being washington.

The 43 DS was on our short list when we bought our current boat. We were really taken with the ability to see out while seated below decks. We also sailed side by side against a 41 DS in our old boat, and were pleasantly surprised by the speed.

One comment that we noted was that the older generation, the 41 and 43, seemed to fit our needs better than the new generation like the 42. It has been too long to remember why, but I do remember we did not like the new ones. You may want to step aboard a 43 and see what you think.

One thing that we were puzzled by, not just in this boat but in any aft cabin boat, is ventilation. Our last boat and our new boat both have forward bunks, and a hatch opening directly down onto the bunk. With a wind scoop, or sometimes without, the fresh air blowing directly on you helps keep the temperatures down. We weren't sure that you would have that same air flow in an aft cabin layout. On the Chesapeake, this is important, perhaps not so much in your area.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:33   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook92 View Post
hi all,

Our son had one for a year or two and sold it because it was tended to slam. That seems to be a common issue with many Bennys/Jennys because of the hull shape forward of the keel. Other than that, he thought it sailed well.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Our son had one for a year or two and sold it because it was tended to slam. That seems to be a common issue with many Bennys/Jennys because of the hull shape forward of the keel. Other than that, he thought it sailed well.
This is probably the single hardest part about buying a boat. Some boats, like Jeanneau, are common enough that you actually have a chance to charter one or know a friend with one where you can personally sail it or at least ways get a lot of user feedback.

Our ultimate boat, there were 54 made. We have friends who actually crossed the Atlantic on ours, and we have talked with other owners and seen some boats. But we literally bought our boat without ever seeing it sail. The sea trial during survey was the first time we'd ever been on one not attached to a dock.

Finding how a boat performs in less than moderate conditions is a huge challenge. It's easier to get on one in one foot seas and 10 knots of wind, very much harder to get on one in 30 knots with 6 ft seas! Or even 20 knots and 3 ft seas or Chesapeake Bay style chop.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:56   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The design of many new French boats make them tend to slam. Also on the older Jeanneaus, if you empty the forward water tank first, the bow thruster will cavitate.

That said, I really like moving the 42-44' Jeanneaus. System hold up well and the accommodations are nice.

I moved a new big Jeanneau USVI to Grenada and really didn't like the boat. It has no hand holds from the helm to the seating area. 99% sure I cracked a rib on that boat!

But the smaller boats have good handholds below and in the cockpit. Some are rigged with the German main sheet- try to get one with a traveler. A tad less convenient, but better sail shape.

IMHO- if you can't buy a Tartan, buy the Jeanneau
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:07   #6

I have a Jeanneau, bought new in 2017.
Overall, they tend to be very comfortable boats, especially at anchor and at the dock (they are designed with that in mind). At sea, not so much. Construction quality is so and so, IMO, but probably on par with other mass-production boats.
Not sure my next boat will be a Jeanneau, though.
The plus is that they are boats that are nimble and easy to sail even shorthanded in mild/average conditions.
The [main] minus is that they are excruciatingly slow in light winds and the way they are rigged leaves a lot to be desired if you like to fine tune the sails. Generally, they do not point very well. Also, they do not do particularly well in steep chop.
One huge plus of the newer generation of Jeanneau's, however (which may counteract any minus they may have), is the walk-in decks. We have chartered two Jeanneau's with that feature, and I must say it is truly a game-changing idea; it makes a significant difference in comfort and safety while at sea (but also, albeit to a lesser extent, while at anchor or at the dock), especially as we get older.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
I have a Jeanneau, bought new in 2017.
Overall, they tend to be very comfortable boats, especially at anchor and at the dock (they are designed with that in mind). At sea, not so much. Construction quality is so and so, IMO, but probably on par with other mass-production boats.
Not sure my next boat will be a Jeanneau, though.
The plus is that they are boats that are nimble and easy to sail even shorthanded in mild/average conditions.
The [main] minus is that they are excruciatingly slow in light winds and the way they are rigged leaves a lot to be desired if you like to fine tune the sails. Generally, they do not point very well. Also, they do not do particularly well in steep chop.
One huge plus of the newer generation of Jeanneau's, however (which may counteract any minus they may have), is the walk-in decks. We have chartered two Jeanneau's with that feature, and I must say it is truly a game-changing idea; it makes a significant difference in comfort and safety while at sea (but also, albeit to a lesser extent, while at anchor or at the dock), especially as we get older.
Interesting - I never felt the Jeanneau’s I’ve sailed on had any problem pointing. (39i, 379 & 409), and was quite pleased with how they performed. However that is probably a factor of keel and sail type. The ones I sailed on had full keel and a nice suite of sails (Classic mains and not self tacking jibs). And I think that generally both Beneteau and Jeanneau benefit from a light wind Code 0.

I agree with the other comments about most modern sailboats pounding a bit more when hard to wind in a seaway (379/lesser on 409). So, you crack off a bit. It is a result of the flatter hull form and shallow forefoot.

I’ve heard complaints of late model build quality, but I can’t really attest to any long term issues. I dislike the lightweight laminate (Alpi et al) that pretty much most builders are using these days. The “wood” laminate surface dings and chips easier. IMHO they may as well go with a modern plastic laminate. The look is pretty much the same, and the durability is definitely greater.

When I was shopping boats a couple years ago, I actually was seeking a later model Jeanneau. In addition to their ease of sailing, and decent performance, I like their layouts and the fact that they install more usable cabinetry (cupboards) as opposed to their sister ships from Beneteau. Unfortunately, the number of Jeanneau on the west coast is much less than the east coast in my searches.

Lastly, while the expansive windows in the DS versions are excellent for light, later in life, these large flat windows built into the cabin tops end up leaking like crazy. Newer boats that have multiple well sealed hatches overhead are easier to deal with and less prone to expansion caused leaks. The larger the window, the greater the heat expansion movement these large sections of plastic generate.

Your mileage may vary.

Edit: also - I agree with FabioC - in that the sloped walkway from the helms to side deck is fantastic, and really is no impact to the spaces below deck.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:47   #8

The pointing issue is due to the way newer Jeanneau's are rigged. They eliminated jib lead tracks in favor of low-friction rings, which are simply impossible to tune in such a way that the lead is in the correct position for pointing. The problem would be solvable by installing some extra blocks to bring the ring inside and low, but the deck is not strong enough in the area where those blocks should go.
The result is that with 15 knots or less, we point 5 degrees lower than other, more-sporty boats, no matter how hard we try (we have membrane racing sails, which improve things a bit, but cannot do miracles).
Also the "German" mainsheet of the newer Jeanneau's is not such a great idea in a keel boat, IMO, as it does not offer the same effectiveness of a traveler in tuning the main. The absence of the traveler and jib lead tracks are great for simplifying the deck layout, not so great for sailing performance.
The bottom line is that Jeanneau's are no rockets by any means (except above 12 knots under asymmetric spinnaker, when they really come alive and take off), which can be frustrating at times (I am talking about the Sun Odyssey's, not the Sun Fast, of course).
I think all production boat manufacturers have their own idea of how to best balance comfort vs. performance. I think Jeanneau (with the Odyssey's) is getting skewed a little too much towards comfort. Nothing bad to it, they go where they think the highest demand is, and they seem very successful in doing that (and, as I said, the walk-in decks are a game changer). Just something to keep in mind.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
The pointing issue is due to the way newer Jeanneau's are rigged. They eliminated jib lead tracks in favor of low-friction rings, which are simply impossible to tune in such a way that the lead is in the correct position for pointing. The problem would be solvable by installing some extra blocks to bring the ring inside and low, but the deck is not strong enough in the area where those blocks should go.
The result is that with 15 knots or less, we point 5 degrees lower than other, more-sporty boats, no matter how hard we try (we have membrane racing sails, which improve things a bit, but cannot do miracles).
Also the "German" mainsheet of the newer Jeanneau's is not such a great idea in a keel boat, IMO, as it does not offer the same effectiveness of a traveler in tuning the main. The absence of the traveler and jib lead tracks are great for simplifying the deck layout, not so great for sailing performance.
The bottom line is that Jeanneau's are no rockets by any means (except above 12 knots under asymmetric spinnaker, when they really come alive and take off), which can be frustrating at times (I am talking about the Sun Odyssey's, not the Sun Fast, of course).
I think all production boat manufacturers have their own idea of how to best balance comfort vs. performance. I think Jeanneau (with the Odyssey's) is getting skewed a little too much towards comfort. Nothing bad to it, they go where they think the highest demand is, and they seem very successful in doing that (and, as I said, the walk-in decks are a game changer). Just something to keep in mind.
In mast main furler? That's a big reason boats wont move or point. No leech.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 13:22   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Lot of comments here with few details about the boat they are talking about. I have owned a 2010 Sun Odessey with a performance keel (draws 7.5 ft) for 5 years it is the 3 birth,3 head version. I daysail 70% of the time and cruise 30% of a 6 month season. I find my 140% cruising Genoa starts moving my vessel at about 4 knots of wind with a hull speed of 2 knots. I have sailed the vessel with the fastest hull speed to date of 9.7 knots close hauled with a full sail plan. We have had no issues pointing, in fact my vessel points higher than most.
I just happened on the performance hull and at first I was a little concerned because I thought it would be more limiting that it has been. The vessel I have came from the Jeanneau factory in France and is the best of what they can do, the entire grid system is glassed down with multiple layers of Kevlar over the grid tabs, most production vessels are glued down now. I have had my vessel apart inside and out, and I have helped others with their hoods, hunters, Bene’s, Oysters, o days and Catalina’s they all have there advantages and disadvantages.
One of the reasons I choose my vessel is the ease of space, a big cockpit with twin helms opens up the transom. A large salon below helps with space to move about on anchor or underway. The 44 has significant areas inside the vessel to add systems for prolonged use.
I have been off shore in several vessels, they all slammed close hauled, even the oyster I road across the Gulf Stream at Hatteras sometimes airborne in the bow of one.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 13:25   #11

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In mast main furler? That's a big reason boats wont move or point. No leech.
Good point, and also experience trimming
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 13:28   #12
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

We love our 43DS (2 cabin version). We like the 43DS'es more than the 42DS'es due to their interior. Supposedly the one we have is one of the last two 43 DS'es built (it is a 2006 model).

We deliberately looked for this model, we put an offer for another 43DS before this one but the owners decided it to pull her out of the market. I am glad they did since our current boat is much better equipped.

With a full enclosure and good heater, it is a great PNW/Washington/Canada boat.
Old 03-01-2023, 17:36   #13

boat shopping, opinions on jeanneau?

I have had a jeanneau 38, 42 and 46. They have been fine boats for the east coast and Bahamas.

For their size, they are large in internal volume and light. Expect slapping in choppy seas. You also swing a lot at anchor. People in the forward cabin get jerked around a lot. Light vessel with high freeboard. This can be addressed through different techniques and preparation.

Storage is a bit lacking if you are living aboard. But the lack of storage does provide a nice open layout. I personally would consider the 43 to be on the small size because of the storage.

Sailing ability on these improves the longer they are. With such wide hips, I always felt that the 38 was dragging butt. 5 knots was good speed on this one.

The 46 can keep a decent pace. We see 6-7 averages on our trips.

All of them have been easy to sail with good handling and decent deck layouts.

Obviously none of the issues have stopped me…
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 03:53   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 45

I was very disappointed with the quality of the Jeanneau boats at the Southampton Boat Show. I found a screw protruding through the centre of one model, could have made a nasty cut on someone hands...

screw

My biggest problem however was the lack of storage space (cup boards & shelving) on the sides of the cabin. The seller said it was not possible to get anymore (and something about the competition not doing it either, which was complete nonsense).

no shelves
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 07:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtickles View Post
My biggest problem however was the lack of storage space (cup boards & shelving) on the sides of the cabin. The seller said it was not possible to get anymore (and something about the competition not doing it either, which was complete nonsense).
no shelves

This was one of the things we liked about the older DS 41/43 instead of the newer 42/44 version.

But, yes, I have often opined that builders are "selling air" and the smaller you make the cabinetry, the more "air" you have in the cabin -- and that really makes a difference at the boat show. As a buyer, it's also really hard to notice that the cabinets are all only 4" deep instead of 12" deep (it shows up when you have the first stack of dishes to put on that shelf!).

Two other things that are hard to notice at a boat show:
* High/small port lights. We are vertically challenged, I'm 5'8 and she's 5'4, and many boats these days we can only see sky through the ports. But you aren't looking outside when you are at the boat show. But of course, a DS solves this (really well on the 41//43) and why we were attracted to the Jen DS43.

* No headboard. At home, the head of the bed is against a wall,holding your pillow in place and letting you sit up to read in bed. And against that wall is a side table holding a lamp. Many boats with a centerline queen make that a challenge (and it works in many too). Until you lay in bed and read (often the first night after you bought the boat), you don't realize the problem.

Tags
boat, jeanneau, shopping