Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2022, 03:28   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Hunter Sailboat

Sorry Vinylester. Which is a gel coat. Gelatinous
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 17:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Sorry Vinylester. Which is a gel coat. Gelatinous
Oh, it's not JelloCoat????
ZoroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 20:55   #18

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Rubbish. At the time he was a Hunter employee.

Greatest Lakes said it nicely: all boats are compromises. Fact is, Hunters are ergonomically and visually well done.

Someone else said they’re flexmasters. And they are. I could go on and on with shortcuts and design hiccups, I could complain about the windage. But the most significant element is that they’re not built to take a beating.

Don’t whine to me, and please no more silly claims based on paid advertising. We have a Legend 37.5, and love it. It’s roomy and fast. And if I wanted to lose it in a storm by summers end, I could. They are what they are, let’s not pretend they’re Brewers or Valiants or Hallbergs.
I'm curious about your take. What other boats have you sailed, and what specifically have you noticed about your 37.5 that informs your (seeming) opinion that it's lightly built/whatever?

I have only sailed a handful of other ~~40 foot boats, however have inspected many many in the 30 foot range. So far I'd judge my 20k lb 40 foot Hunter as medium built in overall strength. A bit heavier than a Beneteau, similar to a Catalina, lighter than an Island packet. Looking at sailboatdata.com bears this out. All very good hardware, well done top quality wiring, cabinetry looks great with solid pieces but is built just average. Kinda perfect for my price point, because if needed I could beef up the cabinetry which already looks amazing and is hardwood/teak (no need really), but the hardware is all lewmar, bomar, selden, harken, etc so no need to alter that.

I took a friend sailing who owns and IP and he was pretty amazed at how fast my boat is too Frankly so am I, even my weather router who works w/ race boats was. My boat has won plenty of races with the original owner in Oregon, and has been over the Columbia bar and to Alaska 20 times.

Someone else mentioned it, but bashing a Hunter is already mostly ignorant given that the models went through so many design changes. I won't argue certain models and others experiences about some models being bendy. Glad I haven't seen that on my model including on it's build quality.
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 21:13   #19

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

If I was looking at another boat, out of the production boats, Catalina and Jeanneau would be at ones I'd be open to. Some year Hunters I would steer clear of based on my readings, like an H36. The chain plate style of the Hunter 410 gives me creeps. But then again, I just heard from some youtube channel about how some Island Packet needs its chainplates replaced so most boats have issues of some kind that need to be addressed.

I don't think there's a lot of technical continuity to compare a late model Marlow Hunter to a Legend to a Cherubini. I would assess each one independently.
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:54   #20

Boat: Hunter 36

I'm a Hunter owner. First, keep in mind that ALL the major equipment on a Hunter are shared by other major brands - Selden mast, Lewmar Hatches, Raymarine instruments, Yanmar engines, etc. So the real issue in quality is the hull and interior finish.

I remember when I bought my 2006 H36, it was stunning. There was a 2008 H36 nearby that seemed noticeably lower in quality. Hunter has had good years, apparently 2006 was a good year. Hunter has also had years when it was less good. Any survey will tell you where you stand.

I have noticed my boat sacrifices nothing in terms of safety, in fact, it went overboard. Most of the quality issues I did notice were easily fixed. For example, using different sized screws in the same panel, not heat-shrinking the butt splice connectors, etc. One thing I can't fix is that the portside cockpit locker lid won't completely close because something is warped. But that's also a small issue.

Overall I love it. It has a better head layout than any other boat I've seen in that size, the master cabin has a full size queen mattress, it's as strong as my friends Catalinas and Beneteaus, looks better than any of them, and has some unique features they don't (like a dish drying locker with a UV light).

I am not a fan of the curtains or the color beige everywhere, but those are personal preferences, not quality issues.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:16   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I'm a Hunter owner. First, keep in mind that ALL the major equipment on a Hunter are shared by other major brands - Selden mast, Lewmar Hatches, Raymarine instruments, Yanmar engines, etc. So the real issue in quality is the hull and interior finish.

This isn't strictly true because there is variation in the manufacturer, product, and quantity across boat makers. Higher dollar boats will have more hatches, more portlights (particularly more operable portlights, and likely stainless rather than plastic even if from the same maker), Wichard blocks and fittings rather than Harken, more/larger winches, larger windlass, possibly better/different tankage, etc. There is also variation in rigs. Hunter often uses B&R fractional rigs which have the advantage of keeping the cockpit clear and requiring smaller and therefore cheaper primaries.
Old 01-08-2023, 13:27   #22

Quote:

I remember when I bought my 2006 H36, it was stunning. There was a 2008 H36 nearby that seemed noticeably lower in quality. Hunter has had good years, apparently 2006 was a good year. Hunter has also had years when it was less good. Any survey will tell you where you stand.

I have noticed my boat sacrifices nothing in terms of safety, in fact, it went overboard. Most of the quality issues I did notice were easily fixed. For example, using different sized screws in the same panel, not heat-shrinking the butt splice connectors, etc. One thing I can't fix is that the portside cockpit locker lid won't completely close because something is warped. But that's also a small issue.

Overall I love it. It has a better head layout than any other boat I've seen in that size, the master cabin has a full size queen mattress, it's as strong as my friends Catalinas and Beneteaus, looks better than any of them, and has some unique features they don't (like a dish drying locker with a UV light).

I am not a fan of the curtains or the color beige everywhere, but those are personal preferences, not quality issues.
As a Hunter owner and someone who has a history with the brand---Do you know anything about the Hunter 28.5, 1986 year manufacture?
ZoroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoroMan View Post
As a Hunter owner and someone who has a history with the brand---Do you know anything about the Hunter 28.5, 1986 year manufacture?
I'm not familiar enough with the brand to tell you that. However, there is a Facebook group that is fantastic for asking specific Hunter questions like that. There is always someone on there with that exact same model. You will get speedy answers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hunterowners
Old 30-01-2024, 08:03   #24

Boat: Currently Boatless

My first monohull was a Hunter 37.5 which we owned for 3 years. Really loved the layout of this boat. Full size head with separate shower, full aft cabin - it checked all our boxes. Perfect for 4 people and could scale up to 7 if required. The boat is over-canvased to get reasonable performance - you had to start thinking about reefing at 15 knots. The cockpit lazerettes were not watertight - this ok for coastal cruising but any offshore work and this is a liability. With a bit of work, these can be made into nice coastal cruisers and I would buy one again. Good value for the dollar IMO.
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 10:38   #25

Boat: 2004 Hunter 36

I have a 2004 Hunter 36 so I am totally biased. I have a lot of experience on other folks' boats and have love for a lot of the ones I have spent time on.

Sailboats are complex entities. The life they live, how they are taken care of and how they were originally designed informs their performance. The shared componentry is also a big point to take. So, take away life lived, and the maintenance done to a boat and we are left with purely design choices.

Here are the biggest complaints I have heard on Hunters:

1) High Freeboard: This is a design choice to have a larger cabin that you can stand in. I like it being taller I never hit my head:-), but it is a PITA at dock if you can't back in.

2) B&R Rig: Means the boat doesn't attack into the wind quite as well, but it flys downwind (At least my boat). It also leads to the cockpit being large and easy to fit. (Just the other day with only 5knts of wind we were running at 4.9 quite nicely).

3) Hullflex/Cheap construction: Haven't seen much of this. So ours is 20 years old. No water in the fiberglass or the rudder. 2 years I needed to replace a clutch, starter, and some lines. Maybe I got lucky, but even my delivery Captain and the inspectors were suprised the shape she was in.

4) Not a raceboat: So I have raced ours, she did quite well, but really I got this for husband and wife fun. I can single handle her quite easily.

5) Picnic Basket arch: People make fun of this, but I see 0 negatives at all. Its gorgeous for the bimini, i love being at help and able to adjust traveler and keep the boat flat or let her heel like mad. I also never worry about someone in the cockpit getting nailed by the boom either.

A friend bought a newer hallberg rassy 44 at the same time. Its only 10 years old, but hasn't had the same good maintenance. He's still working out the kinks and we sail on my Hunter in the meantime. Take that for what its worth, each boat is going to be hyper unique by the time they are 10-20 years away from factory.

Finally, I was walking the dock the other day and I made a bold statement. All sailboats are beautiful. I stand by this. Some may be cute and functional, some (looking at you Swann's and Saber's) just rock gorgeous lines. Change your lense to appreciate and admire.

will
wpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 18:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatch View Post
2) B&R Rig: Means the boat doesn't attack into the wind quite as well, but it flys downwind (At least my boat). It also leads to the cockpit being large and easy to fit. (Just the other day with only 5knts of wind we were running at 4.9 quite nicely).

Are you sure that's not backwards? I have the same boat. The B&R rig is fine for going upwind (only limitation is my shoal keel), but sucks for going downwind because the spreaders get in the way when you try to broad reach or wing/wing. But a spinnaker is still good.

And I've never gone to 4.9kts in just 5kts of wind. In fact, the boat barely even moves in anything less than 6kts. With a spinnaker I maybe could do it though.
Old 08-02-2024, 09:02   #27

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Are you sure that's not backwards? I have the same boat. The B&R rig is fine for going upwind (only limitation is my shoal keel), but sucks for going downwind because the spreaders get in the way when you try to broad reach or wing/wing. But a spinnaker is still good.

And I've never gone to 4.9kts in just 5kts of wind. In fact, the boat barely even moves in anything less than 6kts. With a spinnaker I maybe could do it though.
My experience also. I bought an asym for off the wind. Works great from light winds on the beam to up to 20 on the stern quarter. Doubles my boat speed downwind.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 09:23   #28

Quote:
2004 36 here too (also on the Bay). I think we can sail in 5 kts true wind but certainly not at 4.9 kts - maybe 2.5-3 kts on a good day. We have a traditional main so perhaps a bit more sail area? As you mentioned, down wind is not great and we would probably jibe our way down or just sail on the headsail.

When we were looking at boats we knew some people didn't like Hunters but we kept seeing lots of them out sailing and they offer a lot of living space and comfort for a good price. We also appreciate the good sized holding tank compared to some EU boats.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 09:52   #29

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

I've had my H410 for 11 years now. Sailed 5100nm this last summer CA to Hawaii and back singlehanded. I'm good to go again.
Bless those Hunter bashers, they don't know not what they're talking about.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 10:08   #30

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I've met more fools on "offshore sailboats" over the years than I'd care to mention to this esteemed Forum. The majority of sailboat captains will never venture offshore and are either harbor bound storytellers or coastal sailors. So, what's the point of that Hans Christian that needs 20 knots of wind to sail? Hunters were/are built for a specific market based on price and real needs of the average recreational sailor. And, they've been successful and survived when quality boats like Ericson, Pearson, Cals, hit the bricks in the late 80's/early 90's. Get the right tool for the job however, I still believe short of a certified derelict boat . . . IT'S THE CAPTAIN THAT MATTERS AND HIS CREW. Hunter has found their niche. Enough said!
Rognvald

Tags
boat, hunter, sail, sailboat