Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2023, 03:09   #1

Boat: O'Day 34
Hunter 35.5 Legend Changing Shift/Throttle cables

I have changed the cables in numerous Edson pedestals, and the job is always a PIA but this boat is a real challenge. There just happens to be a sleeping area directly under the pedestal which means there is no way to access the pedestal from underneath. The cables are routed through a small hole in the bottom of the pedestal and immediately take a 90 deg turn to the stern. This is what's causing my problem. Due to the sharp angle the cables are hanging up and can't be moved. Using lots of cable lube I've managed to get the cable mounting bracket up out of the pedestal but things are totally locked up now. It looks like my next step has to be removing the pedestal (good luck). My question is "do I have to remove the steering cables from the quadrant?"
That would do the trick but due to very little slack and lots of corrosion on the quadrant that is open to the elements it might be very difficult to get the cables reinstalled.
I'm sure that someone of this forum has experienced this and if so, PLEASE share your experiences.
thanks,
Bill in JB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunter Quadrant.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	283814  
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 04:21   #2

Boat: O'Day 34
Re: Hunter 35.5 Legend Changing Shift/Throttle cables

To answer my own question for the benefit of others who might have this problem:
In order to remove the throttle and shift cables from the pedestal I had to remove the pedestal and the triangular deck mounting plate under it. I didn't have to remove the steering cables from the quadrant. There was ~3" thin walled piece of aluminum tubing jammed up into the pedestal, separating the cables from the steering cables. It was about 6"long. Once this was removed the cables were easy to replace in the pedestal. But, make sure to re-position the steering cables on the quadrant before mounting the triangular pedestal base plate, this will provide the necessary slack in the cables. I found this out the hard way. Even though removing the pedestal looks daunting, it was removed and reinstalled with few problems.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables, hunter, rot