Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2023, 08:37   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Hunter 40.5

Hello all,

After considerable search available and obviously limited used boat inventory, I found a Hunter 40.5 that has the features I need and seems to be in good shape. In particular, a generator and AC, absolute requirement of the girlfriend.

I'm going to see the boat in the next couple of days, interested to know if anyone has any experience with this particular boat. What to look out for, known problems, etc.

I fully understand that this is a production boat, not exactly top quality, but I am a coastal sailor, maybe some short open water passages. Sufficient for my needs.

Appreciate any help or insight you all can provide
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:00   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Hunter 40.5

We owned one for about 10 years and cruised up/down the East coast. It's actually a great boat to sail. No real criticisms but in heavy weather, the full roach main can easily overpower. In-mast furling main isn't big enough to matter much in this regard. Never had any problems with the boat or it's construction. Forward hull shape easily cut through waves with no pounding.

As to things to look out for, the anchor locker hatches have piano hinges, each with over 10 screws. Check for moisture in the deck area there as some owners dont pay attention to proper maintenance. Only systemic problem with this model is the aluminum holding tank which was prone to leaking. Easy replacement if not already done.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter