Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2023, 19:00   #1

Brrown Searunner 31 A-frame for sale

This is an opportunity to have a quality built trimaran sailboat with just a few months rather than several years of work.
We built then lived on this boat for eight years and sailed it during summers on the British Columbia coast.
In 1980 we got jobs overseas so we put it in covered storage on San Juan Island where it has been ever since then.
We always planned to put it back in the water but now the realities of age and health will require that we part ways with this old friend that took us on so many adventures.
This is the A-Frame (open wing) version (the same model that Jim Brown built for himself)

The boat was built with the best of materials
- Marine Mahogany plywood.
- Vertical grain spruce.
- Epoxy saturated fiberglass sheathing.

The boat was built for simplicity. It is set up for outboard not inboard power although everything is in place to install an inboard if desired (we wouldn't, it just complicates things!)
It comes with a set of sails (main, staysail and genoa) built by Northwind Sails back in the day. They are in good condition and been stored in inside heated storage.
It is also equipped with quality winches.

What it will need:
The decks refinished with nonskid.
Exterior paint if you're fussy about looks (the original paint job was excellent but is now old)
Bottom paint.

I would think of this as a completed boat, built with quality materials and no structural issues that would benefit from having the exterior cosmetics refinished (paint and nonskid)

The boat is sitting on a strongly built cradle which is sitting on a trailer. It is possible the trailer might no longer be reliable after having sat so long so the cradle may have to be jacked up and placed on a trailer of your own for transport. The amas (outhulls) are on a separate trailer.

The boat is located on San Juan Island.

Photos of the boat are from before it was put into storage.

Our asking price price is less than the cost of the materials to build it in the 1970's and way less than the materials would cost today! We just want someone to love it again.

Don't let the price spook you, this is a structurally solid, well built boat that just needs reassembly, outfitting and the repairs listed above. It's priced low because we are selling the property we have it stored on.

We look forward to hearing from you if this "unique" situation sounds of interest to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slides010.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	284785   Click image for larger version

Name:	slides003.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	284786  

Name:	slides008.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	284787   Click image for larger version

Name:	slides011.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	284788  

Name:	slides007.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	284789   Click image for larger version

Name:	slides004.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	284790  

cruzahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 12:35   #2

Re: Brrown Searunner 31 A-frame for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzahome View Post
This is an opportunity to have a quality built trimaran sailboat with just a few months rather than several years of work.
We built then lived on this boat for eight years and sailed it during summers on the British Columbia coast.
In 1980 we got jobs overseas so we put it in covered storage on San Juan Island where it has been ever since then.
We always planned to put it back in the water but now the realities of age and health will require that we part ways with this old friend that took us on so many adventures.
This is the A-Frame (open wing) version (the same model that Jim Brown built for himself)

The boat was built with the best of materials
- Marine Mahogany plywood.
- Vertical grain spruce.
- Epoxy saturated fiberglass sheathing.

The boat was built for simplicity. It is set up for outboard not inboard power although everything is in place to install an inboard if desired (we wouldn't, it just complicates things!)
It comes with a set of sails (main, staysail and genoa) built by Northwind Sails back in the day. They are in good condition and been stored in inside heated storage.
It is also equipped with quality winches.

What it will need:
The decks refinished with nonskid.
Exterior paint if you're fussy about looks (the original paint job was excellent but is now old)
Bottom paint.

I would think of this as a completed boat, built with quality materials and no structural issues that would benefit from having the exterior cosmetics refinished (paint and nonskid)

The boat is sitting on a strongly built cradle which is sitting on a trailer. It is possible the trailer might no longer be reliable after having sat so long so the cradle may have to be jacked up and placed on a trailer of your own for transport. The amas (outhulls) are on a separate trailer.

The boat is located on San Juan Island.

Photos of the boat are from before it was put into storage.

Our asking price price is less than the cost of the materials to build it in the 1970's and way less than the materials would cost today! We just want someone to love it again.

Don't let the price spook you, this is a structurally solid, well built boat that just needs reassembly, outfitting and the repairs listed above. It's priced low because we are selling the property we have it stored on.

We look forward to hearing from you if this "unique" situation sounds of interest to you.

What is the price?
Celestelunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 14:45   #3

Sorry, I thought I included that. The price is $9500.
Richard
Old 14-01-2024, 15:34   #4

LOA, Beam and max draft please? Is it this one on sailboat data and are the figures there accurate?

Also, what's the interior like? How many can sleep on it? How's the galley? Head?
babyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 16:26   #5

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

If you want to know about the design and thoughts that went into this boat

http://www.outrigmedia.com/books/cruising-trimaran.html

Jim Brown is a legend, and one of my personal heroes
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 17:37   #6

Beam 18'
Main hull for transport 8'
Draft 2'
Draft centerboard down 5'
Accommodation: Short trip 4
Long term 2 or 2 plus a kid.
Interior layout is largely to stock plans.
Head and galley are basic as per the designers recommendation for simplicity.
If I can answer any further questions you could email me directly at:
cruzahome65@gmail.com
Old 14-01-2024, 18:36   #7

thanks it's too wide unless I modify my slip
Old 15-01-2024, 07:02   #8

Thanks for posting this. I read about searunners all night. Very interesting. I'd have to figure out a lot of things in order to take on this project. First is I'd need a place to work on it, 2nd I found out my marina association would allow me to modify my slip, I"d need to rent or buy the one next to it. But this could be a very cool project. Doubtless someone else will scoop it up before I get close to figuring out how I could do it.
Old 21-01-2024, 10:22   #9

Hi Cruzahome please say if the searunner project is still available or not. Yes I'm interested here is what I'd have to do:

1) Find a boat yard near Galveston that would allow me to work on it myself
2) Figure out how feasible it is to ship the project there.

Assuming I can figure out how to do 1 & 2. Next thing would be to get a surveyor's opinion of the project. Then I can guess how much work is actually involved.
Old 21-01-2024, 10:25   #10

Yes, it is still available.
Old 22-01-2024, 09:15   #11

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Hey Babyhauler, tri's are different from a normal boat, they are light, you don't necessarily need boatyards, just a yard. Years ago I looked at getting an A-frame Searunner, the thought was to take the amus off and slide it in a 40' container and ship it anywhere.

Jim Brown, the creator, is still with us and could probably help you with your project. Anyway, read the book, totally different concept, before him tri's were totally experimental and thought to be useless for cruising and dangerous.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 09:24   #12

Thanks I read Jim's book and loved it. I like how trimarans can stay afloat even if capsized. I like the option to sail fast to maneuver away from unpleasant weather. I also like Jim's ideas about keeping accommodations and systems on the boat extremely simple for maximum reliability. Yes I had the idea from another thread here to just use any available yard or lot to do the work. Like maybe even the backyard of the house I'm living in right now, unfortunately I'm in the process of moving to a new place with no yard. But I'm looking around the place I'm moving to. Maybe I can find a lot there or a DIY shipyard.
Old 22-01-2024, 10:28   #13

Glad you got a chance to read Jim's book (actually he has several). If anyone has perfected the cruising trimaran design it is him. He is practical and has really thought things through.

Tags
for sale, sale, Searunner