Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2023, 11:25   #1

In-mast furler banging when rolling

Hi,

I'm a first time boat owner of a 2008 Sun Odyssey 50 DS. The mainsail furler is banging on the inside of the mast cavity when the boat rocks from side to side. Even the slightest rock in the calmest of waters is causing the heavy internal furling to clatter off the inside of the mast. The sound down below is driving us demented and we haven't slept a single night in a couple of weeks .

The mast is Sparcraft. We had a new mainsail installed. When the sail was out of the furler the sound of metal on metal was horrendous. Now the new sail is installed the sound is deadened but still there, and enough to keep us awake.

We are heading back to the marina for some repairs and a new furling line, so we'll have access to the rigging team. Has anyone any ideas on how to stop banging or some guidance/suggestions for the sail maker?

Here is a link to a short video - https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bon9i...8f2gtpeu9&dl=0
Old 01-07-2023, 11:55   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: In-mast furler banging when rolling

I feel your pain. My previous Jeanneau 49DS had the same problem. As does my current J57. I've found a combination of furling tension and tightening the outhaul after furling that stop the sound now, but didn't find that solution on the 49DS.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:57   #3

What you describe is not normal. Did it make these noises before the sail was changed?

Without some kind of mitigation, pretty much every in-mast furling system has this problem when there is no sail installed. There are a number of creative solutions to that problem, but none of them would be at all appropriate to routine use in a system with a sail hoisted.

I have never heard a furling system make ANY banging noise with a sail hoisted. Certainly ours never does. The only thing I can think of is that the new mainsail is made of sailcloth that is much, much lighter in weight than the system was designed for. I can imagine this might leave a lot more room inside for things to move that normally would not. But that is just a guess.

I'd start with contacting Sparcraft. Their USA offices are in Charlotte, NC
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:09   #4

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I don't know anything about mainsail furlers ... double-check that the residual noise is indeed coming from the furler, and not coming from halyards or wires banging inside the mast ... I have some very annoying unsupported wires that slap against the inside of my mast.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:21   #5

@Kelkara - I'm on my 4th boat with Sparcraft in-mast furlers. I had thought the same thing before, but it turns out that it is the furling main and not other lines going up the mast.
When storing the boat with the mainsail installed I had a line looped around the midpoint of the furling mechanism that was tightened to the tip of the boom to prevent internal slapping.
I'm lucky that my master cabin now is far aft; but on the 49DS it was forward and that noise was absolutely loud and nasty.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:32   #6

Thanks for the response (and the sympathy LOL) - our master cabin is forward and we are going crazy because we haven't slept well in a couple of weeks. Anyway, I've contacted Sparcraft and sent them the video - hopefully they have a solution. I can't believe this is something people have to live with.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I don't know anything about mainsail furlers ... double-check that the residual noise is indeed coming from the furler, and not coming from halyards or wires banging inside the mast ... I have some very annoying unsupported wires that slap against the inside of my mast.
I hear you - I originally thought that it might me the heavy co-axe cable from the TV antenna, or a halyard, however I can see through the sail intake recess the internal furler rod with the sail furled around it moving from side to side and slapping off the internal mast cavity, thus creating the banging noise.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
What you describe is not normal. Did it make these noises before the sail was changed?

Without some kind of mitigation, pretty much every in-mast furling system has this problem when there is no sail installed. There are a number of creative solutions to that problem, but none of them would be at all appropriate to routine use in a system with a sail hoisted.

I have never heard a furling system make ANY banging noise with a sail hoisted. Certainly ours never does. The only thing I can think of is that the new mainsail is made of sailcloth that is much, much lighter in weight than the system was designed for. I can imagine this might leave a lot more room inside for things to move that normally would not. But that is just a guess.

I'd start with contacting Sparcraft. Their USA offices are in Charlotte, NC
I didn't notice the problem when the old sail was still installed. The problem started when the sail was removed and boy the metal-on-metal banging was keeping the whole marina awake. The sail maker came back and ran a line back from the middle of the furler back to an aft cleat and also stuffed the cavity with foam. This worked as it stopped the furler for moving. The new sail is newer and looks a lot more flimsy than the original to be honest (no vertical battens - just a basic sheet of Dacron - I've asked the sailmaker for the specs/weight).
Old 01-07-2023, 15:25   #9

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I have some very annoying unsupported wires that slap against the inside of my mast.
Apologies in advance for going a little off-topic. We had a similar problem. We got used to it, but visitors who’d spend a few days with us often left sleepless.

When we did a major re-fit with the mast down I replaced the main mast wiring harness. As I ran the new harness thru the mast, I secured a zip tie about every foot or so. I didn’t clip the tails. I placed them randomly so the tail of no adjacent zip tie was pointing in the same direction as its neighbor. When the harness was completely run in, all of the tails on those zip ties acted as little shock absorbers to prevent the harness from banging the inside mast wall. It has worked well. Fifteen years on, not a peep. Cheap, easy- if your mast is down.

I wish I could claim credit for this, but I don’t recall where the idea came from. It’s clearly a lot easier than stuffing shipping peanuts in, and those eventually turn to itty bitty pieces anyway.
Old 01-07-2023, 16:17   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

A neighboring boat had the same problem. No one was aboard for Xmas Break. I went over and released the main halyard. Worked like a charm. Told the owner on his return. He retensioned it just before he left and said thank you, he now knew how he o get a good nights sleep in a rolly anchorage.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 00:05   #11

interesting... I opened the clutch but unfortunately it's still banging.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 02-07-2023, 13:18   #12

Guess what kiddies, New technology is not always superior to tried and true. In-mast furling is indeed labor saving and is a favorite amoung the sailing yuppie set. But, in addition to your noise issue, it is not “fail-safe” in fact it can be “fail-catastrophic”. It is an unseamanlike abortion.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 13:31   #13

@ChrisCringle - I absolutely disagree. What you are stating is almost verbatim what was said when jib/genoa furling was introduced. When is the last time you saw a bigger sailboat without a furling jib (that wasn't a 100% racer)? I'm on my 4th boat with in-mast furling and it has been a life-saver for me as a single-hander. To use the noise of a sail banging in the mast as a reason for stating "fail-catastrophic" is a bit of a stretch...
Old 02-07-2023, 14:57   #14

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

Had the same issue with the furled main thumping on the inside of the mast. I lowered the main, tightened the furling rod a couple of turns and the problem was fixed. This was a Selden furler and very easy to adjust.
zippy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, furler