Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2021, 10:53   #1
JAU

Boat: Jeanneau Odyssey 45
What does this switch do?

I have a 2007 Jeanneau SD and have cruised on it for 5 years. We have a house but normally cruise East Coast 5-7 months a year.

Well when we got the boat the sails rep showed me how to use refrigeration and stove. So I blindly followed his instructions. On the panel in order I have:
Cooling Set which turns on blower fan, Frigoboat turns on unit in refrig, than one that is labeled "FANS", WHAT FANS???? then Galley Blower and USA LP Gas Control, so I always turned on Fans when using refrigerator and it's always on when I use stove since I have Refrigerator on, but can't figure out what the purpose of FANS is? If I turn it on by itself I don't hear anything and have taken a flashlight to look behind blower around stove and refrig.

The documentation on boat and online never shows a picture of control panel with explanations.
JAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 17:57   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: What does this switch do?

Without more info, I would guess the possibility of a "spillover" or "circulation" fan inside the refer/freezer. You may have them (or not.) They may have been an option, so the switch is just sitting there unused.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 05:59   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Maybe the fans were removed long ago.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 09:03   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

Is there any wire connected to the breaker behind the panel? My boat came with a bunch of unused breaker positions (presumably for factory options) that were unpopulated. Including FANS, RADAR, and others.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 11:15   #5
JAU

Boat: Jeanneau Odyssey 45

yes when I look behind panel I can see a set of wires attached, I do have some empty breakers for washing machine and dishwasher
JAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 11:27   #6

Some dude on sbo.com last week said he'd lost $800 by flipping an unknown switch that released his halon when his engine was running! Costly stupidity.

You have a 45 foot boat and you don't know how to trace wires? Please... First thing I did when I bought my then-12 year old boat in 1998 was to trace wires and draw wiring diagrams, which confirmed that the diagram(s) my PO gave me were terribly wrong.

You've had this boat for five years and are asking now? Why? Do you think it is an OEM feature that someone else who has that boat will know about? Have you asked a dealer? The boat's not that old (about how old mine was when I bought it).

You can figure this out. How do think we can from behind our keyboards millions of nms away?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 11:37   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAU View Post
yes when I look behind panel I can see a set of wires attached, I do have some empty breakers for washing machine and dishwasher
Next step - find out where the wire goes...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau