Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 08:06   #31

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'
Re: Want AIS on my Jeanneau; Raymarine AIS700 or Veper XB-8000?

I know that it looks like you've made up your mind - but I'll throw just one more option into the pot. I have an em-trak B954 Class B SOTDMA Transceiver (https://em-trak.com/product-b954-offshore-sailing/) and it works just fine. It has as many features as (if not more than) most AIS transceivers; (including NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, Wi-fi and Bluetooth connectivity), SRT-AIS engine, internal antenna splitter, internal GPS receiver, silent-mode function, average current draw (at 12V) of 280 mA (245 with wireless off), etc.

It took me about 10 minutes to install it. The vendor set up the boat information for me - but you can hook it up to a laptop via USB to adjust some of the information (or so I understand). Not sure about updating software over the phone, though.

Only one vendor (milltechmarine) that I've found - that sells the unit at a discount from the em-trak site. There may be others - don't know.
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:57   #32

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Consider MAIANA™: The Open Source AIS Transponder. Self-contained transponder unit with GPS, easy to mount, easy to connect. Available in USB, NMEA 0183, and NMEA 2000 versions for $200-250 (depending on version and shipping). Excellent support.

No affiliation, just a VERY happy user.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:00   #33

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

I noticed that since you have a Ray chartplotter, that it seems you are going to upgrade to another Ray product, you didn't consider Garmin. Can you explain why?

For those who responded the Garmin 800 is a B+ transponder;
* Easy-to-use, reliable communication transmits your vessel information to other AIS receivers in your area while receiving AIS target data
* 5 watts of transmit power with Class B/SO provides faster positioning reporting than ever before¹
* Built-in GPS with connector for optional external antenna
* NMEA 2000® connectivity for easy integration with compatible chartplotters and multifunction displays
* Internal VHF antenna splitter allows VHF and AIS to share a single antenna
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:01   #34

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I have the Raymarine AIS transceiver unit hooked to my Raymarine Axiom chart plotter. Works great. When on the inland waterways, it’s the ONLY way to “see around corners” (= bends in the rivers) Offshore, especially at night, and/or if sailing single- or short-handed, it’s a great adjunct to the Mark I eyeball. Highly recommended. It’s also nice to be able to identify other similarly equipped pleasure craft to be able to call them specifically, instead of “the white sailboat with a blue stripe off Point X”
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:09   #35

Boat: Cutter, Whistock 70'

Hi, I thought hard about replying to your post, initially because you had your heart set on a couple of specific models. Now having seen some of the other posts I will throw my cap into the ring. Firstly, what type of sailing do you do. Day sailing, offshore sailing, chartering? Obviously cost is a factor but to give you an example one of the most reliable units we have come across are the EM-TECH brand and the Furuno brands. Admittedly we are using Class 'A' units primarily because of what we do and where we go. However, the Em-Tech B954 is a very useful alternative. As an aside we have also tried splitting antennae etc and generally have found this to be functional but does not compare with a dedicated antenna located on a spreader for example. Both these units have proven very reliable and currently, we are using the A200 Class A, and quite frankly its great. Like I said. Just throwing my cap into the ring on this controversial subject. We couple this with a B&G V90 VHF so we have redundancy at least on receive.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 15:13   #36

I like the Vesper products but the new Raymarine is 5W and probably better although it does not have the nice features of the Vesper.
A difficult decision I am also trying to make.
The best option is the raymarine with the old vesper receive only display or you could use the XB8000 and turn off the transmit side?
The other factor is that the Raymarine has a built in splitter.
Paroo2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 17:41   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

We are two Americans in Darwin, NT, Australia, currently circumnavigating back to the US (now away 4 1/2 years). Last year when we planned to go from Bundaberg, Queensland to Indonesia which requires AIS, so we purchased and installed the Vesper Watchmate and are very happy with it. It was easy to install. They sell an antenna splitter separately and that was easy to mount and connect. We did not buy the special tuned antenna, just hooked up to our normal one. We have the screen unit mounted on the bulkhead at the nav table, and the built in GPS unit has no trouble connecting to satellites. Ours is a wood-epoxy boat, so receiving the signals through the coachroof above is not a problem.

Our navigation is done on an iPad using the iNavX app (two iPads, actually, one is always a backup to the other). The Watchmate can connect to the iPad via wifi so that the ship info can appear right on your chart on the iPad. I find this not necessary as we use the Watchmate screen exclusively, it is clear enough. It also has various alarm functions including anchoring functions.

Just after we left Bundaberg last year, the whole world closed down due to Covid. This year, we got as far as Darwin, and the world is still pretty much closed down. So we are waiting another 6 months or so for the world to heal itself while we contemplate our next legs across the Indian Ocean. The AIS is very helpful to identify other craft in your vicinity. We are very happy with the Vesper Watchmate.
ewsponberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 19:07   #38

For what it's worth; I installed a Raymarine 650 AIS transceiver 10 seasons ago along with a vesper antenna splitter and a e7 Raymarine char plotter. It has worked flawlessly.

The only wish list thing that I hope ten years or so would solve would be to be able to call directly (DSC) on your VHF to an AIS target without having to key in all the AIS numbers. I'm pretty sure the self contained AIS/ VHF units can do this.
Maybe some of the newer integrated VHF units can do this.
Nealnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 22:08   #39

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Vesper! I've had a Watchmate for 13 years, still looks good, still performs and has never given trouble.
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:45   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’d vote for the ais700
Old 05-10-2021, 07:05   #41

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Although I have all Raymarine Axiom MFDs The Vesper 8000 offers a better solution, the overlay setup on the Axiom took few minutes via the NMEA 2000 backbone and their iPad/iPhone app is way better. I’m very happy with it.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:19   #42

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Yikes

It's like 50%/50% for Raymarine and Vesper...
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:34   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Yikes

It's like 50%/50% for Raymarine and Vesper...

Easy- want 100% ray? By ray.

Want to allow any device andr software to use data from the boat’s sensors? Buy Vesper.

Vesper has added benefit of stand-alone anchor monitor.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:39   #44

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Ultimately it boils down to, do you want the extra features of the Vesper, or the extra price of the Raymarine?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:45   #45

Boat: Hylas 54

Noone has mentioned Garmin. I have a Garmin 600 AIS. It has n2k and a built-in VHF antenna splitter, and plays nice with the rest of my Raymarine equipment.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, jeanneau, marine, raymarine