Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2021, 07:59   #1

Lightbulb Jeanneau SO ˜45ft or alternative?

Dear sailors,

I am strongly looking for community help. In upcoming year I plan to buy a used sailboat to cruise with family (2 + 2 kids) around Mediterranean and (may be) Caribbean. The budget is ˜200K$.

In the past I crossed Atlantic using 2003 Jeanneau SO 45.2 and I can say I loved the boat! This experience puts some pressure on the selection process, since I am looking for something similar. However, I believe there are quite a lot of alternatives on the market, so would be great to get your opinion on this topic!

Also, would be helpful to learn if there any positive experience buying ex-charter sailboat. Looks like this category is more frequent on the market compared to "owned" one.
DmitryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 08:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Jeanneau SO ˜45ft or alternative?

Let me put it this way—- As a former Charter guys and now a delivery guy who is a proud Tartan owner, if I didn’t own a Tartan, I would own any Jeanneau expect the 64. I’ve run everything from their 35 to the new 64.

Only ding is the stupid retracting bow thruster on the new boats. It solved the problems caused by emptying the bow water tank before the main, but the stupid thing takes 20-30 seconds to extend, and then goes up with no notice.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 10:35   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Did you mean to post this in the monohull forum?
Old 21-12-2021, 10:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Did you mean to post this in the monohull forum?
You mean there are still some mono hulled yachts

Magic on its way, this thread is moving.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 11:23   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Pete, the mono hulls are the ones with their masts pointing up.
Old 22-12-2021, 09:51   #6

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have a 2010 SO 44i, 3 head,3 birth version, I love the vessel, I have sailed many different boats over the 40+ years in many conditions, this boat is fast and responsive. (9.7 knots with 20 knots of wind on a beam reach) I changed out all the hot,cold, gray, black waterlines and the heads and faucets when I bought her took 3 weeks and 4K and reupholstered the salon cushions 3.5k and bought new foam for the mattresses 1.5k with a thoughtful cleaning she was as good as new.
I have had her in 35 knots of wind with just a 3rd reefed main reaching and running and this vessel handled as good as any vessel I have been in the same conditions with, some with 3x the price tag.
“Blue Water officials” may look down their noses, but Jeanneau builds a good boat, better than most “production boats”. There is room at this size to add water makers, HVAC, more refrigeration, food storage solutions bellow the galley, and space in the salon and cockpit for time on anchor. There is also room to modify a bathroom into a stand up fridge/freezer and a washer dryer if they would serve your needs well.
Small enough to single hand and day sail, big enough to carry you and 3 others on passage of up to about 2 weeks, after that you may need fuel and water.

And specific quest PM me. Or ask Jeanneau 44i owners on Facebook.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau