Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2022, 08:49   #1

Internal rigging tie-rod_Jeanneau SO 50.1

Hi All, I'm searching for advice again!

I want to drop my rig for a full inspection/renovation on my 1996 Jeanneau SO 50.1. However, the critical "foundational inspection" I require is the inspection of the internal stainless steel tie-rod (more like a prop-shaft!) that connects the deck fitting (shroud/inters/aft lower deck tang) to the main structural member in the transverse floor on the hull, where it is seated in a hangar with 3 large nuts.

The tie-rod is about a 1" shaft, and threaded on both ends. It can take a socket to lock the nuts at the bottom, but it cannot turn as their is no room to rotate the shaft. The top fitting at deck level, is a female socket at the base of the substantial shroud "chainplate" where I assume the thread is inserted with lock-tight?

Now the tie-rod has the notches that allow spanners to be attached and torque to be applied.

Should i assume that the way to remove this tie-rod for inspection is that there is a left hand thread at the top fitting and that it is removed by turning the tie-rod, in the same way one slackens or tightens a rigging thimble.....or do I have to completely dismantle the vessel to inspect the tie rod, which mean no tie-rod inspection, and resorting to prayer.

My rigging contractor says I should use insurance to cater for the unlikely failure of a tie-rod.

I do not like either solution, destroying the interior, or leaving it to insurance. This boat was built with frankly excellent access to all services and installations, and I refuse to believe this tie-rod was designed to be left in situ forever with no way to inspect or remove....

I'm grateful for any advice from someone who has dealt with similar.
thanks,
Paul
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau, rigging