Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2006, 05:18   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Yanmar 3YM30 Overheating

I have just seen the following post on a different forum and would like to bring it to your attention. The post refers to what has happened in UK, obviously I have no knowledge of other countries:

"Approximately the first 5,500 Yanmar 3YM30 diesels supplied to boatbuilders and fitted in Jeanneaus and US-type Hunters (amongst others) have an overheating problem, usually showing up only after about 100/150 hours running, and when the sea water temperature rises in summer. On my engine the overheating warning light/beeper was going off, and a check by an engineer with a temperature guage showed the engine was genuinely overheating, not just having an over-sensitive warning light sensor.

Yanmar and their distributors in the UK, EP Barrus, know of this problem, and are fixing it under warranty. However they are NOT warning users in advance of this known problem. They also appear not to be even telling their service dealers about this - the first my local dealer knew was when I told him - I found the first references to this on the web relating to US-marketed Jeanneaus.

Fortunately I found the problem on my engine (in a 2005 model Sun Odyssey 35 with 90 hours) before departing on a longish cruise, and it was fixed just before departure. I met up two days ago with another owner of a similar boat who had to delay his cruise west mid-holiday while the Weymouth Yanmar dealer got the parts and did the fix on his engine (at 125 hours).

These early (2004/2005) engines have a 38-tube heat exchanger, and some very early engines were reportedly also fitted with a smaller capacity water pump">raw water pump than is now used. The fix is to replace the original 38-tube heat exchanger core with a new 63-tube one, and change the water pump if necessary.

If you have a Yanmar 3YM30 with an engine serial number under 6,000, I suggest you phone EP Barrus and ask if your engine is affected. I am not sure of the exact number of the last of the faulty batch, but Barrus know. Don't rely on your Yanmar dealer having just serviced the engine to know about this!"
Old 22-07-2006, 10:36   #2

I am experiencing the same problem. I have two 3ym30 engines on my cat. The port engine, with the water heater, will overheat if I run it at 3000 rpm or above. The starboard engine will overheat if I run it full throttle for more than 10 minutes. I guess I'll call the dealer and ask him about it on Monday. It would be great if this were the issue and it is readily resolved. I'll give an update with what I find out.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 11:12   #3

Old 15-08-2006, 12:41   #4

Well, the yanmar service representitive came out today. He removed the heat exchanger from both my engines, took them to the shop, cleaned them out, replaced the cores and reinstalled them. He even left me spare anti-freeze! Now that's what I call service. We did not get a chance to sea trial them, but he is confident the overheating issue is resolved. His only comment was that I should lower my sea strainer a bit, it should decrease the wear on my impellors.

That's what I call service! I'll sea trial it when I get back down to the boat. Off to NY for a week or so.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks again Talbot!
Old 15-08-2006, 12:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I had heard of that issue sometime ago. Maybe a year or two back. But I was told it was a Jeanneause design problem, not getting the cooling side spec'd correctly and not the yanmar. So that is interesting if it was a Yanmar issue. That could answer a lot of questions for other users.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 14:28   #6

Glad to have provided the info, but I was just passing along somebody elses data from another forum I inhabit!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:38   #7

I have a Yanmar 3YM30 which I have had since 2005. It does not overheat however I have used 3 raw water pumps since the engine was new. I have taken them apart and they have all failed because of inferior metals used for the pump shafts and bearings. Due to a rusty pump shaft the seal starts leaking and then the pump sprays salt water all over the engine. The pump bearings then turn into a pile of rust. Then the engine pulleys all rust and cause the pulleys to start chewing up alternator and water pump belts. I bought the engine in Florida and the boat and engine are now in Fiji. I am in the process now of rebuilding the failed pumps with all stainless components. I have had new pump shafts made in 316 stainless and am in the process of locating stainless bearings and other internal parts. I have contacted Yanmar several times and they act like there is nothing wrong with this engine. Anyone else experiencing similar problems? Watch out if you are planning to buy a yanmar 3YM30!
hughfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 12:41   #8

Another couple of years, No reoccurance of the overheating issue! I have run them up to max for up to 1/2 hour on many occassion, they seem to take it just fine.

The only issue I have had is after I have the boat hauled, I have to prime the raw water side by closing the seacock and pouring water in the strainer. This flows down both to the intake side and the raw water pump. I then put the top back on the sea strainer, open up the seacock, start the engine and I am good to go! I suppose I should lower the sea strainer a bit!
Old 25-02-2010, 03:56   #9

sounds pretty cool.
Old 25-02-2010, 04:51   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfree View Post
I have a Yanmar 3YM30 which I have had since 2005. It does not overheat however I have used 3 raw water pumps since the engine was new. I have taken them apart and they have all failed because of inferior metals used for the pump shafts and bearings. Due to a rusty pump shaft the seal starts leaking and then the pump sprays salt water all over the engine. The pump bearings then turn into a pile of rust. Then the engine pulleys all rust and cause the pulleys to start chewing up alternator and water pump belts. I bought the engine in Florida and the boat and engine are now in Fiji. I am in the process now of rebuilding the failed pumps with all stainless components. I have had new pump shafts made in 316 stainless and am in the process of locating stainless bearings and other internal parts. I have contacted Yanmar several times and they act like there is nothing wrong with this engine. Anyone else experiencing similar problems? Watch out if you are planning to buy a yanmar 3YM30!
I have 2 of these engines both with around 750 hours, I just replaced 1 pump .because it was leaking, im going to rebuild it and keep it as a spare-could be just the impeller and seal bad on mine , i have not opened it up yet
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 18:14   #11

Boat: Beneteau/343
Re: Yanmar 3YM30 Overheating

Not ignoring that this is a ten plus year old thread......

I was going up river with the engine running at about 3000 rpms. Suddenly, the engine starts making a very deep sound, then the overheat alarm went off( briefly confused with the sound of wind whistling through the standing rigging). I stopped the engine, we saw steam billowing out of the engine compartment. Later investigation showed the raw water strainer slightly obstructed. The oil was in good shape. No other obvious clues. The coolant was in the bilge. The engine has about 850 hours and has been reasonably well taken care of. I had one somewhat similar problem last year when one of the belts broke. We also changed the impeller at that time. This time, the belts are in good shape.

Suggestions on where to go next? Impeller? Other recommendations? Obviously I have to refill the coolant.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ym30, overheating, yanmar