Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 02:59   #61
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A Call To Better Spelling

Quote:
SS: And yes, I do think spelling and punctuation is fairly important. I agree with many of you, and find myself struggling to plough through posts which are difficult to read, just because I know the poster has something valuable to say.

DOJ: But the style is part of the message that a poster is conveying (intentionally or not) - given that Internetland is non-verbal and non-facial, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take away another clue as to WTF is going on.
I agree. 'Different strokes for different folks', 'Variety is the spice of life' - all of that. I do, as I'm sure do most people, appreciate the variety of writing styles we have on the forum. I never intended to come across as heavy handed in my post, and I apologise if I did.... And of course we have better things to do than editing spelling and punctuation. And ironing is not on that list, but thank you for your kind offer!!

Let me put it differently. I have just done a course on accessibility. It is proven that ALL CAPS IS UNPLEASANT AND DIFFICULT TO READ, ESPECIALLY IN LARGER CHUNKS. It is also proven that 'sans serif' fonts (without tails) are easier to read on-screen than serif fonts - especially in longer chunks of text.

It is also hard to follow writing that has no punctuation or paragraphs. Many people have trouble reading large chunks of text, and need obvious breaks when reading. A simple and effective way of doing this is to keep paragraphs to three or four sentences, then when you slightly alter course, simply make a new paragraph.

In my post, I was trying to be helpful not to cause offense... and I am in total agreement that this is a forum about cruising - not academic standards!!!! I am sure none of us have any intention of marking members' spelling and grammar, or making 'league tables' and giving CF Burgees to those with the best grammar.....

So anyway....

Target 3: Start sentences with capital letters.

Target 4: Try to keep paragraphs to four sentences, and add a space between paragraphs!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:07   #62
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Wouldn't it be "A Call for Better Spelling" since better spelling is not a place. "A call to spell better" might work better.
I had read this as in "A Call to Prayer" - after all, isn't good grammar a sacred tool which should be venerated, to uphold Civilisation and avoid the collapse of society?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:32   #63

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Saucy Sailoress will FIX mi spllaing msitaks your the best mod and most fun keep it up

Old 03-04-2011, 04:08   #64

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Saucy Sailoress will FIX mi spllaing msitaks your the best mod and most fun keep it up
LMAO
Old 03-04-2011, 04:28   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

diksleksia ruls ko
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29   #66

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

One sure doesn't see such a laissez faire attitude around CF when the subject is swing room, anchor choices, ferro cement, guns, total scope length, snubbers.....

But grammar? Forghetaboutit!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:33   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
You know, I wasn't asking to take anyone to task, or even point out their mistake.

All I was asking was if the Mods could correct the TITLE of a thread. Not even the body of the text, just the title.

And, the answer was YES. And they did correct it. I don't know if the OP even knows if it happened. But, I know my eyes are happier when I scroll the "new threads" page.

thanks moderators.
Correct spelling, especially in thread titles, makes the forum much more searchable.
You'll never find an "electricle" thread by searching for "electrical".

Old 03-04-2011, 05:56   #68

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Merican Mr. Chipping trumps Miss Jean Brodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
I had read this as in "A Call to Prayer" - after all, isn't good grammar a sacred tool which should be venerated, to uphold Civilisation and avoid the collapse of society?
To this question, I answer: "hell yes!"

Here's the curse, captains and ironers: Willy-nilly Capitalization. I have an aquaintance who uses Upper Case whenever she writes Something she feels should Stand Out. And she laughs about it. LAUGHS ABOUT IT!!!

In the CF "be nice" kind of way, let me point out also, the misspelling of "civilization", and how I can generously almost overlook it as I know Kate speaks Merican as a second language; almost overlooked, but noted and compiled in the league book. These odd spellings come from standing in the noonday sun according to Wackipedia.

Beyond that bit of nonsense, I agree with Starbuck that posts should stand as is, warts and all.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:58   #69

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

My son, who has degrees in 3 languages, and was born without vision, could not understand why we used something as crazy as cursive, when he had to learn to develop a signature. He is presently working on his law degree, specializing in, of all things, Interlectual Property law.
I learned to read Braille visually a long time ago--not easy.
If you ever get the opportunity, look at an equation, with fractions, written in Braille.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10   #70
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Changing the thread title is fine. But I think the mod should ask the poster if it is OK, and maybe give the reasons.

One of my pet peeves is a title like "Hey, look at this!" or "Can I do this?". I have absolutely no idea what the thread is about.

So, for my reason, and the issue of search that Gord pointed out, changing the title with the permission of the author makes sense. But, if a poster wants it left like they wrote it, it should be their right.

I think this thread is great. It's fine to communicate to people how better to communicate. But that's as far as it should go. I agree with comments (Starbuck, tgzzzz, et al.) that the grammar/punctuation/etc. gives me clues as to the persons personality. Keep it, warts and all.

My opinion: No changes to posts without the authors permission.

On to another point:

My sister, an English professor, says the old rules about commas have been relaxed. In general, commas can be used in places not previously considered to be correct if it helps disambiguate a sentence, or makes it easier to read. In the previous sentence I think she'd say the second comma was not required, but acceptable.

-dan
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23   #71

Boat: Finnsailer 38

As a writer/editor/publisher I prefer to see reasonably well composed posts, but there are, and should be, fairly lax standards on an Internet forum, just as there are in a harborside bar. In fact, that's what I think we're doing here--having a nice chat over a few cold ones or a hot cuppa while looking out over the anchorage where our boats lay at anchor (hopefully on new generation anchors with plenty of scope out). Actually, I think the posters here tend to be quite clear about what they want to convey, for the most part. I will add my vote to making your post title explicit as to what the post is about in order to help us all find your amazing thread.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:36   #72
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Beyond that bit of nonsense, I agree with Starbuck that posts should stand as is, warts and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDH View Post
Alternatively we could accept posts with a few mistakes that sometimes come across as quite amusing and all go sailing..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
If anyone edits anything I create, I'll be very pissed. I'd rather my whole post were deleted than to have it altered in any way whatsoever. Who the hell are you to change my bad spelling, or ungainly usage, or lack of coherence?
In my entire three weeks as a moderator, I have never heard of a post being edited for bad spelling, punctuation or grammar. I don't believe any of us would wish to do so. We do sometimes remove OTT formatting, for example if entire posts are written in bold colour - or capitals, if the CAPS LOCK BUTTON HAS BEen hit by mistake. This is in accordance with CF rules. Which I'm sure you've all read But in case you haven't:
Quote:
The standard font size is 2. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion; e.g. all caps or excessive color.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41   #73

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I'll just spell everything finetically. fonnetickly.
You put the "fun" in "funetiklee"

John
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56   #74

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
If we don't make any attempt to correct, and if we accept lazy composition, we will get more of it as time goes on. Ultimately,we all get lazy together until no one cares and no one knows how to do it right anymore. I believe that imprecision in language is responsible for some of the social problems we are facing.

Should we all abandon the rules of sailing? The rules of driving? How 'bout the rules of civil discourse and public behavior? If you want to communicate, do it right, or at least well enough that you can be understood without extra effort.

Interestingly, precise terminology and clarity of commands is required for safe and efficient seamanship.

Jonh
I cudn't agre wit u mor. Texting is destroying an entire generations ability to spell.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57   #75

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
having a nice chat over a few cold ones or a hot cuppa while looking out over the anchorage where our boats lay at anchor (hopefully on new generation anchors with plenty of scope out).
I'm tied to a channel marker - dat OK wit you?

John
Closed Thread