Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2008, 19:27   #31

Boat: Which one?
Yarrgh!!

Laugh, by thunder, laugh, you scurvy dogs! Before the hour's out, ye'll laugh upon the other side.

Bring me another noggin of rum, now, matey!
DaveyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 20:31   #32

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
And just to keep things in perspective, actor Heath Ledger died of an "overdose"........ preliminary report is that he took different prescription drugs together (serious mistake) as opposed to "recreational" drugs.....
the truth is sometimes confoluted in the media..... this is quite possibly an accident...........a great actor, though!
Seems that he may have had pneumonia as well. He may have simply over medicated. What a tragedy.......seemed like a brilliant young man.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 20:45   #33

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
Pirate looks at forty

I tried looking for the pirate thread to find out if I should be offended or not. What was said, Unless it was patently offensive Perhaps should have been taken with a grain of salt. What ever happened to " I may not like what you said but I will defend to the death your right to say it" not the exact quote but you get the drift.
By the way do you know why Pirates are so mean? Because they ARRR.
Attributed to a nine year old
Sarge
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 23:23   #34

Oh this is where every one went

Hi all,
I was wondering why all the conversation stopped so abruptly. Well, yet again I am sorry for stirring up such a fuss. I'm really quite laid back and I really do my best to be agreeable.
This just seems to keep going. I must say I prefer "wally" to "ship dit" and I'm a little iffy on the "Keep it in the closet" remark. but all in all I feel like everyone has managed to avoid being intentionally offensive.
I definately understand Kanani's point. Things like Piracy will definately have a different effect on those who have been directly effected by it, but I think you will be hard pressed these days to find anything satirical that no one will find offensive. I am sorry that you had an experience that has clearly had such an effect on you. I guess what I'm trying to say is... We's cool right?
DreadPirateRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 10:00   #35

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I have no problem with you or anyone else on this forum. I just think that the topic has run it's course. It really isn't that important and started getting a little silly.

I merely reacted to your original post in the same manner as I would if a young person came to me and asked me how I felt about getting a tattoo or piercing (not that you asked). It's really none of my business but I felt compelled to let you know that this may be a controversial theme for you.

The hard core cruising community is a "culture" in it's own right. If you ever get there, I think that you will find that people are VERY tolerant and look out for each other....like family (literally). However, If someone were to show up in an anchorage in say.....Fiji, with a pirate flag flying or a pirate name on their yacht, they may have a harder time fitting in IMO. Kinda like showing up in a conservative Church with gold ring pierced through your eyebrow. There's nothing wrong with it but why do it and expect to fit in?

Bottom line is.....it's no big deal (just like a tattoo or piercing). I was just expressing an opinion as do others.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 13:26   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
If someone were to show up in an anchorage in say.....Fiji, with a pirate flag flying or a pirate name on their yacht, they may have a harder time fitting in IMO.
Excellent point. Flying a Jolly Roger in the Bahamas or Carribean might be tolerable - although I don't know.

However, flying any sort of pirate flag while cruising Asia will probably attract all kinds of unwanted attention. Primarily from authorities who will probably not be amused.

Also DPR - Topics don't last forever. There are new fields to plow.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 13:41   #37

Boat: Which one?
Kind of like the skull mask I was wearing when I rode through New York, NY.

The police stoped me and told me to take it off.

Athough it's common to wear a mask while riding when it makes you look like something fictional it's a whole new deal.

Most places have no problem with it. In Maine I seemed to fit right in.

Bring me another noggin of rum, now, matey!
DaveyJones is offline   Reply With Quote