Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 16:32   #1

ad.doubleclick.net Causing Slowdowns?

Don't know if it is just me but I am waiting 10+ seconds per click for the ad.doubleclick.net ads to serve and my page to load when I click on a subject. This is really bad. I would simply ad block but I know you guys depend on the income for this free board.
Is it just me? Can something be done?

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 17:42   #2

10 seconds only? You are lucky. I frequently have to kill my browser (IE) after 30+seconds because it stops responding while retrieving ads. It sucks...
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 19:17   #3

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
there is all sorts of stuff online about doubleclick, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to block it

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 19:22   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Sometimes.......it............takes............... me.....................ten......m........i........ ..n.............uu............t.............e..... .............sss.............to send an email
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 19:38   #5

LOL

another prob with cruiser's forum is something that I guess is tied to their advertising.

a.collective-media.net

My computer always spends about 3-4 times as long loading that (whatever it is) as it does the actual site, and half the time the page fails to load while waiting for it to do whatever collective-media does.

Old 28-05-2009, 23:45   #6

Boat: Any time now!
Install adblocker and then only block doubleclick. And any other ads that annoy you. Leave the unobtrusive ones to display etc.

Whatever company will get the message eventually that ads that slow your browsing down, and make your browsing that much more unpleasant will simply be blocked.

Ironic that Google is the giant it is today thanks to its unobtrusive search and ads, and now it owns Doubleclick..one of the worst offenders
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 02:25   #7

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
i block all outbound traffic to doubleclick (and lots more bad sites)
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 04:37   #8

+1 for Mozilla Firefox and the AdBlock Plus Extension. Problem solved. Buh-bye to annoying ads on sites everywhere.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 04:46   #9

WOW! I just added that adblock plugin and cruiser's forum is like lightning speed now!

Old 29-05-2009, 05:07   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
IE7Pro!

For those using Internet Explorer, one of the best "add-on" is IE7Pro - The Ultimate Add-On for Internet Explorer . This will block Ads, Flash Frames et al and accordingly significantly increases access speed.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 08:38   #11
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
I am really sorry that some of these services are causing the pages to load slow as reported. The best way you can help our community is reporting the following which will help me track down the issue.
  1. If the page seems to hang waiting for an ad, please look in the bottom right of the status bar to see what it's hanging on. So far a.collective-media.net & ad.doubleclick.net have been reported (thanks).
  2. Once the page loads please take a look at the ad that actually loaded at the top of the page. Knowing what ad is being served when the hanging is happening helps me have more info to address this issue with the ad serving providers. If possible, please get me the URL to which the ad leads to as well so I can have as much info about the ad.
  3. Run a traceroute to the URL that is causing the page to hang. So far a.collective-media.net & ad.doubleclick.net have been reported. If you can run a trace route to that URL and post it here it will help me understand where the bottleneck is. Here is more info on how to run a trace route and copy/paste it here:
    How to Use the Traceroute Command

To copy text such as traceroute and ping results from an MS-DOS prompt, you should right-click on the MS-DOS window and choose Mark.

Then select the text with your mouse and right-click or press Enter on your keyboard to save the marked text to your clipboard. Then you can paste it by pressing Ctrl+V.
Once again, my appologies for these issues. If you all can help me gather a bit more feedback I will contact the ad server folks ASAP.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote