Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 08:02   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Ads that grab the screen and I can't navigate back

There are a couple of ads being served from the site that put up a page that I can't back out from. Especially when I use my phone.

One is some sort of spinning wheel game

The other offers a free Amazon card for 100 bucks.

The only way out is to retype in your url or sometimes kill the browser.

Thanks for all you do.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:12   #2

Re: Ads that grab the screen and I can't navigate back

Same.

Also got the same on some reputable news sites so I'm thinking there's an ad network service compromised or something.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:13   #3

Tom,

I use an iPhone, which helps in two ways:

1. The Safari browser that comes installed seems to have a pop-up blocker, which seems to solve that issue. Perhaps the browser that you are using has this option.
2. I can install the CF application, which does not appear to have pop-ups, though it does have inline adverts that sort of look like topics or threads.

Hope this helps.

-BC
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:41   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

New phone I just got is doing this, too, but but not always. I appreciate the suggestion.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I'm thinking the pop up ad's are coming from somewhere other then CF. We don't take ads from non marine service folks, Least I don't think we do. Google and Amazon are known to do this. Even if your not using an amazon or google product at the time.

Several ideas
Go clear your cookies and catch in your browser and delete temp files on the PC/tablet/phone. Cookies are generally located under settings/privacy. Doing this should stop our friends from google and amazon and others from bombarding pop up's

Enable pop up blocker in your brower. Note the included pop up blocker may not block all pop up's..

If your browsers does not have a pop up blocker, perhaps visit Adblockplus.org and download an extension for your browser.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:17   #6

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I'm thinking the pop up ad's are coming from somewhere other then CF. We don't take ads from non marine service folks, Least I don't think we do. Google and Amazon are known to do this. Even if your not using an amazon or google product at the time.

Several ideas
Go clear your cookies and catch in your browser and delete temp files on the PC/tablet/phone. Cookies are generally located under settings/privacy. Doing this should stop our friends from google and amazon and others from bombarding pop up's

Enable pop up blocker in your brower. Note the included pop up blocker may not block all pop up's..

If your browsers does not have a pop up blocker, perhaps visit Adblockplus.org and download an extension for your browser.

This is an issue that google ad services has had for years. The mentioned steps are required as well as you should be signed out of google on your browser as well. Use your computer to go to google setting and clear you cache and history.

For android, stay signed out of google, go to settings-google-reset ad ID,
clear cache for google play store and google chrome in setting-aps.

These are all temporary, it will show back up again as either a gift card, or you have a virus pop up. Staying signed out of google services seems to help indefinitely, but I can't seem to as I need some of them. I have also sent several notes to google, they haven't responded to me-go figure
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
This is an issue that google ad services has had for years. The mentioned steps are required as well as you should be signed out of google on your browser as well. Use your computer to go to google setting and clear you cache and history.

For android, stay signed out of google, go to settings-google-reset ad ID,
clear cache for google play store and google chrome in setting-aps.

These are all temporary, it will show back up again as either a gift card, or you have a virus pop up. Staying signed out of google services seems to help indefinitely, but I can't seem to as I need some of them. I have also sent several notes to google, they haven't responded to me-go figure
very good point.

I never sign into google, etc. Also for pc's a half way decent adware cleaner is SuperAntispyware.com SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
I use that and malwarebytes to keep "colossus", my laptop and myself happy...
That and adblockplus and I never get a pop up ad.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:51   #8

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

sailorchic, i've ran it all, and generally the computers do well. I have never had a malware or virus issue on a computer as long as I have had one....android, that's another matter. I have tried all sorts of blockers, anti malware etc. This new crop of pop up bypasses all the adblockers and does not appear as a virus or malware, so even live filtering wont catch it. Once you get in their sights, it gets worse and worse. I have found I can stay clean completely as long as I Never sign into google with my phone...but that also means you loose some other very important services as well. The only other surefire way to stop it is to disable JAVA in your browser. This creates a whole new set of issues that makes your browser useless. It is google ads somehow as it will show up across all your browsers, not just chrome
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:11   #9

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Some of you are getting disrespected, I get offered a $1,000 gift card occasionally. If I was rich I would throw my Ipad against a brick wall like I used to do with my company phones every once in awhile. Now I just keep going backwards deleting stuff until it ends.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:18   #10

AdBlock Plus has a browser for Android, works very well. I use it for problem sites that leak popups. Rumor has it that Google will incorporate an ad blocker in the next major upgrade, due in February, for all its platforms. I would guess that you'll see more Google ads and less Amazon/Facebook/Microsoft ads. But popups sent by the site visited will be blocked. Firefox has browsers that will accept ad blockers that you can adjust. A few sites will block you from reading them if you put blockers in place.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:43   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
AdBlock Plus has a browser for Android, works very well. I use it for problem sites that leak popups. Rumor has it that Google will incorporate an ad blocker in the next major upgrade, due in February, for all its platforms. I would guess that you'll see more Google ads and less Amazon/Facebook/Microsoft ads. But popups sent by the site visited will be blocked. Firefox has browsers that will accept ad blockers that you can adjust. A few sites will block you from reading them if you put blockers in place.
I use the AdBlock browser on Android, what a godsend!

Don't hold your breath for Google to implement any real ad-blocking. I read the same rumors, but the details were underwhelming. They also seem unwilling to do anything to stop HTML5 auto-play video and audio. The net effect of their updates tend to make these things harder to stop, not easier.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:06   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
There are a couple of ads being served from the site that put up a page that I can't back out from. Especially when I use my phone.

One is some sort of spinning wheel game

The other offers a free Amazon card for 100 bucks.

The only way out is to retype in your url or sometimes kill the browser.

Thanks for all you do.
if you are using the mobile app, you might try deleting it, doing a restart and reloading from the app store. if you are using a regular browser, try emptying your cache and see if it helps.

it's possible you've been cookied up with some adware.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen