Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2022, 10:58   #1

Black water tank smell

I have a black water holding tank bottom of boat AND about 14 feet of 1 1/2 ABS sloping upward to the toilet. The tank is vented outside. If I leave for the day I smell the sewage more so in the bathroom. I thought about installing a p trap at the holding tank. First shouldn't the I think it's called duck bill vale in the base of the toilet prevent the gas from coming back up into thr bowel. Regarding the p trap I'm thinking that because unlike in the home there's not the volume of water behind the solids and this might sit at the bottom of the p trap then eventually build up.
Anyone have any thoughts
Rick
Trickyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:11   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Black water tank smell

Search here for similar threads to get suggestions for your problem. Could be the hose or the vent. How old is your hose?
Old 11-09-2022, 13:23   #3

There is no hose to speak of I used ABS pipe with a short peice of hose from toilet into the ABS but it's only about 6 inches
Old 11-09-2022, 14:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Holding tank material ?
Old 11-09-2022, 14:48   #5

I had the tank fabricated out of 5/16 plastic about 6 years ago.
Old 11-09-2022, 17:36   #6

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

If it's salt water flushed you'll smell it at the toilet for sure. Regular daily use helps a lot, I remember that from past boats.
Also use a digester in the tank, I use Noflex, expensive, you'll really need to shock the tank with a lot and then I add 1 teaspoon at least weekly, more often if using regularly. It makes a big difference although your usage and choice of digester will probably be just fine and help.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 18:57   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

No the valve won’t stop all smells. You have effectively a riser to the toilet, a vent. Some gasses rise.
Old 11-09-2022, 19:27   #8

It's fresh water. If Noflex Digestor is the only way to fix the oder I'll give it a try. I have an 80 gallon tank so that would be a lot of product as we live on the boat year round. Does any one have a comment on installing p trap at the tank
Old 12-09-2022, 00:05   #9

Recently purchased and living aboard a 1990 Hunter Legend 35.5 sailboat. The sewage tank was seeping and the system was smelly so after doing some research, decided to switch to a composting toilet. Completely removed all old components: tank, hoses, macerator and toilet. Did a thorough cleaning. Installed a Nature‘s Head composting toilet. Attached vent hose to former pump out port. Repurposed macerator 12 V electric line to power built in electric vent fan. Added organic peat moss to solids tank. Liquids go to a separate 1 gallon collection container. Solids are mixed with the peat moss with a few turns of hand crank. There is no odour. Liquids can be disposed of in any toilet or a suitable distance from shore. Solids can be disposed of with compostable trash or used as compost.
Matt Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
I have a black water holding tank bottom of boat AND about 14 feet of 1 1/2 ABS sloping upward to the toilet. The tank is vented outside. If I leave for the day I smell the sewage more so in the bathroom. I thought about installing a p trap at the holding tank. First shouldn't the I think it's called duck bill vale in the base of the toilet prevent the gas from coming back up into thr bowel. Regarding the p trap I'm thinking that because unlike in the home there's not the volume of water behind the solids and this might sit at the bottom of the p trap then eventually build up.
Anyone have any thoughts
Rick
Hey Rick
I agree old hoses, or if you have a macerator pump they leak as well
)though slightly) 'also when I flush a # 2 , I add some shampoo my boat is smell free don't keep the waste level too High either
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 14:17   #11

That's great
I just spent $800 on a holding tank and $300 on a new toilet so I'd like to keep what I have.
I'm thinking about a 1 inch diameter p trap right at the toilet. Does any one know if the pump maturator has enough force to push the slug through the p trap.
Old 15-09-2022, 15:31   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

You shouldn't need a P trap. I'd just loop the output line up a little bit where it exits the toilet and then down to the tank. That should keep liquid against the joker valve and keep the bowl from going dry. That'll both help the toilet stuck waste when you first start flushing and prevent smells from coming up from the tank.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 15:41   #13

That's a good suggestion. I have to find a hose that I can make a small loop with without bending
Thanks

Tags
water