Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Want a new forum category for Fishing and Bluewater Sports?
YES! Love the idea. 46 63.89%
NO! I don't like it. 23 31.94%
I'd spend a lot of time there! 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 14:26   #16

Re: Can We Get a New Forum Category?

I really like the idea of having specific boards like Cheechako and Dave suggested. The five categories I suggested were based around the concept of a bluewater fishing/bluewater sports since they are both kind of related to entertainment as well. Just an example of what it might look like!

Bluewater Sports and Bluewater Fishing is definitely the type of category I would prowl through on a daily basis for advice about those areas and new ideas of how to enjoy myself while living aboard a boat for a long period of time, especially in some exotic location.
Old 29-01-2016, 14:44   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

FANTASTIC IDEA !

I've been thinking of this for some time, just not enough time to do what it takes to start it.

Would be a regular reader. There may be bits and pieces in other forums, but to have it all in one place - and the ability to subscribe to new posts - would be a real attraction to me.

Yes, one can search and find bits and pieces. But I'm thinking of the benefits of being able to look in one place to find thoughts and advice of interest, specific to salt-water.

Thanks for considering this. Let's all get behind it.

My first post would be: The Joys of Eating Barracuda - to Die For!

Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 16:39   #18

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

He'll I thought you just ask a question
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 17:52   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Only safe way to release a good size shark is by cutting the leader close to the shark, do not try to remove the hook.
I've seen several when diving swimming around streaming fishing line, and have been told the hook comes out eventually without harm.
Even if it's you favorite lure, let him have it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 18:22   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

be good to have a sticky for areas where ciguatera is prevalent with up to date info.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 19:28   #21

Boat: Beneteau 473

I support this new category. After buying a clamp on rod holder last year, not catching one fish, I got The Cruisers Handbook of Fishing for Christmas (from me, to me). I'd love to read discussions on what to catch, best ways to catch, prepare, identify, not get sick, troll, drop a line at anchor, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Cruisers-Handb.../dp/0071427880
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 19:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I can show you how to kill fish with a battery and an old Ford coil....
And dynomite.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 20:38   #23

Lol. Might run into a few customs issues there.
Old 30-01-2016, 21:00   #24

How about a section for all things sports i.e. parasailing, tournaments, etc. and separate section for food gathering as was suggested prior. Such as harbor fruit and veggie boats, local food/bar/market hangouts, do and don'ts of local fishing rules and customs, etc. Since food gathering is such a large component of any cruiser's life I believe it deserves a dedicated section no less important than engine or sails repairs or some such.

So that someone sailing in into an area can just turn to CF to see if that spear gun is generally OK to use or a big no-no there.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 23:45   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

The OP idea was Fishing - a category unto itself, IMHO.

If we begin to dilute it, i.e., food in general, and it begins to expand. Local markets in each village and town throughout the world, for example.

A place to go to learn the latest facts (and fiction, given this is a forum) about Salt Water Fishing, together with its strict relatives such as fishing equipment, fishing spots, fishing techniques, fishing bait & tackle, etc. without having to read all about aunt Millies favorite recipe for roasted marinated cockroaches. On further thought... that might fall under the 'bait' subcategory

I'd rather not have to sort through all the assorted topics related to 'gathering', etc.

Then again, I'm on limited bandwidth (read that, pay per message), an important factor to many of us cruisers.

Mission creep = bad.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 03:33   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Can We Get a New Forum Category?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
Mission creep = bad.
Too many words (can't get to the point) = even worse.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 06:29   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
Then again, I'm on limited bandwidth (read that, pay per message), an important factor to many of us cruisers.

Mission creep = bad.
More of the reason for a dedicated section so if one has limited bandwidth and just wants this or that info they can go straight to that section without wasting time and bites looking for specific posts about it. Unless of course one likes sifting through all the blah-blah to find the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 06:43   #28

I don't mind fishing topics as they relate to cruising, but there are plenty of other forums out there for fishing in general.

As for watersports, there are also forums for those.

If I want to discuss kayak fishing, I go to a kayak fishing forum. If I want to discuss cruising, I come here. If I want to discuss jet boating, I go to a site focused on that.

Yes, there is crossover, but I've found that people who want to talk about fishing are pretty passionate about that as a world into itself.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 11:15   #29

Very valid points from the last several posts!

Admittedly I love fishing in general, but I have a real fascination about fishing under sail combined with scuba or free diving. I wouldn't ask about freshwater fishing in a bluewater cruiser's forum, though and I wouldn't ask about saltwater fishing at a more general fishing forum if I wanted to do it while sailing.

My logic was that if there is a subcategory for bluewater sports in general, that you would have a place to ask about the arts of diving, snorkeling, surfing, etc and also get to read about a lot of other interesting things people do at anchor as well as their favorite places to do them at.

I've seen and heard of several cruisers who strap a kayak or surfboard to their rails and use them once they get to their destination. If someone has a question about kayak fishing, they could start a thread in the bluewater sports subcategory and have a great chance of learning more about it from someone who actually does that while sailing. Or, again, for me, how and where to spearfish and not have to worry about getting arrested, getting sick or any number of other unexpected things.

I've personally spent a little time on "spearfishing" forums and didn't really enjoy it or learn anythign relevant. Why? Because it was only for Florida, or it was for a retail website trying to sell their gear or it was for a particular club who does things a certain way. Just not really my cup of tea.

Going back to the original example in my first post, I would love to ask advice about free dive and scuba spearfishing as well as diving wrecks and other interesting places like Guardian of the Reef in Grand Cayman or Ocean Atlas in New Providence. There's just so much knowledge and experience at Cruisers Forum that readers could learn from! And all of these topics don't really need to have their own special subcategory in the context of a cruiser's lifestyle.

Based off of what I've heard so far, maybe a great subcategory to go under Bluewater Sports and Fishing could be related to gathering fish and other aquatic foods in general as well as preparation of said foods. So much potential! (The subcategories were really just examples of what might be found in the new category.)

I feel like these things are very much relevant to the cruising lifestyle and would provide a great avenue for newcomers to learn about them as well.

Surely you wouldn't tell a guest who's asking for advice to leave Cruisers Forum because there are better places to learn about their topic of interest? Or maybe because it's not related enough to be discussed???
Old 31-01-2016, 18:28   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumKrazy View Post
Very valid points from the last several posts!

Admittedly I love fishing in general, but I have a real fascination about fishing under sail combined with scuba or free diving. I wouldn't ask about freshwater fishing in a bluewater cruiser's forum, though and I wouldn't ask about saltwater fishing at a more general fishing forum if I wanted to do it while sailing.

My logic was that if there is a subcategory for bluewater sports in general, that you would have a place to ask about the arts of diving, snorkeling, surfing, etc and also get to read about a lot of other interesting things people do at anchor as well as their favorite places to do them at.

I've seen and heard of several cruisers who strap a kayak or surfboard to their rails and use them once they get to their destination. If someone has a question about kayak fishing, they could start a thread in the bluewater sports subcategory and have a great chance of learning more about it from someone who actually does that while sailing. Or, again, for me, how and where to spearfish and not have to worry about getting arrested, getting sick or any number of other unexpected things.

I've personally spent a little time on "spearfishing" forums and didn't really enjoy it or learn anythign relevant. Why? Because it was only for Florida, or it was for a retail website trying to sell their gear or it was for a particular club who does things a certain way. Just not really my cup of tea.

Going back to the original example in my first post, I would love to ask advice about free dive and scuba spearfishing as well as diving wrecks and other interesting places like Guardian of the Reef in Grand Cayman or Ocean Atlas in New Providence. There's just so much knowledge and experience at Cruisers Forum that readers could learn from! And all of these topics don't really need to have their own special subcategory in the context of a cruiser's lifestyle.

Based off of what I've heard so far, maybe a great subcategory to go under Bluewater Sports and Fishing could be related to gathering fish and other aquatic foods in general as well as preparation of said foods. So much potential! (The subcategories were really just examples of what might be found in the new category.)

I feel like these things are very much relevant to the cruising lifestyle and would provide a great avenue for newcomers to learn about them as well.

Surely you wouldn't tell a guest who's asking for advice to leave Cruisers Forum because there are better places to learn about their topic of interest? Or maybe because it's not related enough to be discussed???

Gosh, that's a lot of words.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum