Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Want a new forum category for Fishing and Bluewater Sports?
YES! Love the idea. 46 63.89%
NO! I don't like it. 23 31.94%
I'd spend a lot of time there! 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 11:13   #1

Lightbulb Can We Get a New Forum Category?

Hi Forum Masters!

I've been a member at Cruisers Forum for several years now. Though I havent posted as frequently as others who joined around the same time, I have spent a lot of time here and like reading through various threads from time to time even if I don't write a response, as many users tend to do... Not to mention I don't think cruisers tend to fish for recreational purposes! It's a great way to get fresh food in their bellies.

Anyway, I feel like there is a gap in the forums related to a very important niche of cruising. Is there a place to request that a new category be added to the forums?

More specifically, I feel like one thing that every cruiser does or eventually ends up doing is fishing.

Now I know, that sounds really simplistic. And I know that there is a Recreation, Entertainment and Fun board under the "Life Aboard a Boat" category. But that category really doesn't provide the knowledge I've been craving. I need to know specific things before I go sailing and there isn't really a place to find it at Cruisers Forum right now. Just a few old threads from a few years back.

Furthermore, I'm not just talking about a simple hook and line fishing category, I propose that it be called something to the effect of "Bluewater Sports and Fishing" because there is a TON of content out there that could be added to increase your reader base. I really feel that it could become one of the more popular categories here at Cruisers Forum.

Sure you can perform a basic internet search for informative articles, but I greatly value learning from others' stories and experience.

I don't like consuming some obscure slice of knowledge I found sitting on an old plate at a retail website that was written several years ago. (People from my generation actually enjoy reading stories and learning sound wisdom directly from others even more than you might think! [The Mellenial Gen])

If there were a "Bluewater Sports and Fishing" category, it would be the perfect place to find a smorgasbord of popular subcategories directly related to cruising. I feel like it would attract an onslaught of new readers and encourage current members to spend even more time with the community.

It might look something like this:

(I've also included a few links to show just how much content is available. I bet Cruisers Forum members would have a ton of knowledge and experience to share and would really enjoy interacting with others there in general.)

Bluewater Sports and Fishing
  • Favorite Destinations and Advice (Where you really like to dive, fish, surf, etc)
  • Other Stuff (Things that don't fit anywhere else in this category)
Of course none of the information would be considered legal advice or anything, but I would still want to learn everything I could from people who have been there and done what I want to do while sailing the world.

For myself I would ask for advice about the best wetsuit to buy for snorkeling and spearfishing, what to watch out for when doing so in international waters and also what types of bait and lures people have the most success with for catching certain types of fish. (That's 3 or 4 threads right there.)

I know that I was originally asking where I should post this type of request, but I decided to go ahead and type everything in here to avoid double posting somewhere. Sorry if this was not the right place to do so!

Thanks for reading!
-PK

(If anyone else thinks this is a good idea for a category, please add a response communicating that to our incredible Forum Admins and Staff. Or if you don't like the idea, post that too if you'd like. I would really love to be able to learn more about these categories from the people I trust here at Cruisers Forum rather than some retail or marketing website somewhere.)
PlumKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 11:22   #2

Re: Can We Get a New Forum Category?

I read this forum nearly every day. I just did a Google custom search on "fishing" on this forum and found lots of hits for that very subject. Since it seems to have been discussed so often, two things occur to me: One, you CAN find information using that search engine right here; Two: it wouldn't hurt to add your suggestion, at least you'd have a good starting point.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 11:32   #3

Thank you for sharing!
Old 28-01-2016, 11:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

We will take your suggestion under advisement, and certainly will take into consideration feedback on this thread.

Just a heads up. We want to ensure that the board does not get too segmented, so no promises.
Old 28-01-2016, 12:38   #5

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Smile Re: Can We Get a New Forum Category?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
We will take your suggestion under advisement, and certainly will take into consideration feedback on this thread.

Just a heads up. We want to ensure that the board does not get too segmented, so no promises.
I for one endorse this idea as it is a great idea. As far as the segmentation issue, I don't think it is. I normally look at the Portal or do a search. If I'm really bored I might go to the Forums tab and click on one of interest so adding more to the list just gives more options. No way to get too confused.

A dedicated fishing forum could also include thread on the best ways to cook various species. Also we could discuss how to anchor to catch fish and the art shooting fish with a firearm, how to account for parallax for example.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 12:43   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I can show you how to kill fish with a battery and an old Ford coil....
Old 28-01-2016, 12:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Thank you very much! I am grateful for your response and I understand completely. Just the willingness to consider it is greatly appreciated.

I really just felt like I would love to have access to a category where I could ask advice of old salts who are actively browsing the same areas of interest. (Fishing, sport activities as a cruiser/live-a-board, etc.) They all have to do something to maximize enjoyment at their destinations or to occasionally try something new they might not have thought about before, right?

As for advice in general, I feel like most Cruisers Forum contributors really want to share their knowledge with others. You just never know if someone experienced in what you're asking about is actually browsing general topic forums. They might never know that you are wanting to learn from them if they don't visit general discussion areas very often and don't see your post.
Old 28-01-2016, 13:05   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Lol. We should have a category in all polls for "I don't care.".
Old 28-01-2016, 13:28   #9

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I can see this as being its own category. Maybe having people discuss cruising areas where fishing is restricted, or where fish are known to have higher levels of ciguatera than others.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumKrazy View Post
Hi Forum Masters!

I've been a member at Cruisers Forum for several years now. Though I havent posted as frequently as others who joined around the same time, I have spent a lot of time here and like reading through various threads from time to time even if I don't write a response, as many users tend to do... Not to mention I don't think cruisers tend to fish for recreational purposes! It's a great way to get fresh food in their bellies.
Realized I made this silly mistake in the first paragraph.

The emboldened line was supposed to be here instead:

Now I know, that sounds really simplistic. And I know that there is a Recreation, Entertainment and Fun board under the "Life Aboard a Boat" category. But that category really doesn't provide the knowledge I've been craving. I need to know specific things before I go sailing and there isn't really a place to find it at Cruisers Forum right now. Just a few old threads from a few years back. Not to mention I don't think cruisers tend to fish for recreational purposes! It's a great way to get fresh food in their bellies. "

Not sure what happened there.
Old 28-01-2016, 14:02   #11

Boat: Cal 2-27

Think this is a fantastic idea that makes perfect sense.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 08:09   #12

Good idea. When we caught a hammerhead shark on our trolling gear(trying to get an ahi) we were at a loss for good ideas how to get the guy off the hook(literally and figuratively). Some days are just not worth getting out of bed for.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:08   #13

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

PK, I like the idea. Fishing is luck and skill at the same time. I have almost no skill when it comes to ocean fishing. On charter's I just do what the captain tells us to do. On a real sailing trip or just local cruising I am clueless. I would troll this segment of CF with relish. thanks for suggesting it...hope our fearless leaders are listening to the impatient natives...smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:28   #14

Maybe food gathering rather than just fishing...... when does the veggie truck arrive in Georgetown? Is there a fish market in Bequia? what day? etc etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 10:09   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Seems to me that 'fishing' is both too general and too broad a thread. Perhaps more specific threads like fish preparation and safety or fishing off a sailboat might work.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum