Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2012, 16:25   #1

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Empty Response Error

G'Day all,

Wonder if anyone else is having a new problem with CF? Since the days when we were warned that some site improvements were happening (around 21 Feb) I have been getting the following error message on a regular basis:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Reloading, sometimes many times, has so far overcome the problem, but it is an aggravating nuisance, and I was wondering if it was something on my end (flakey wireless "broadband" connection) or at the CF server?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-02-2012, 16:29   #2

Re: Empty response error

Jim
I have not had any issues, did you try to dump your cache memory in your web browser? that seems to help sometimes...

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 18:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A few problems here on Win 7 using Firefox browser. I have seen 2 times when the database was down recently but it seemed to be only for a short time. Maybe they are still making upgrades and/or migrating the database to a new system.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 01:17   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

Wonder if anyone else is having a new problem with CF? Since the days when we were warned that some site improvements were happening (around 21 Feb) I have been getting the following error message on a regular basis:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Reloading, sometimes many times, has so far overcome the problem, but it is an aggravating nuisance, and I was wondering if it was something on my end (flakey wireless "broadband" connection) or at the CF server?

Cheers,

Jim
Hmm... I have noticed the same (almost). It only happens from home and only when the wireless connection is flakey (i.e. when usage is heavy from the rest of the nearby browsers). Never happens at work with its fast ADSL copper connection. It has occured a little more since the upgrade but perhaps that is just a red herring.

BTW, how was the mini heatwave down Hobart way, it was weird to see our Perth temps. 10 lower than yours!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 02:19   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Using Google Chrome I've had no problems
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

If you have this issue you can clear your browser cache. On wireless connection you may wish to reboot the access point, as over time, they can become wonky.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... I have noticed the same (almost). It only happens from home and only when the wireless connection is flakey (i.e. when usage is heavy from the rest of the nearby browsers). Never happens at work with its fast ADSL copper connection. It has occured a little more since the upgrade but perhaps that is just a red herring.

BTW, how was the mini heatwave down Hobart way, it was weird to see our Perth temps. 10 lower than yours!
Thanks to you and the others for their responses. Today the problem seems to be gone (touch wood)... we'll see what follows!

FrankZ: how does one empty the browser cache? And how often would this be required? The error message implies that the server terminated the contact, not the browser... but I'm pretty ignorant in this area.

The heat wave? Well, the Saturday was the NICEST day I've ever had in Tassie, sailing down the Derwent to Kettering. About 30 degrees, warm N'ly winds of 10 +/- kts, clear skies and air... just lovely! But on Sunday, heading for Esperance, it was hotter, smokey from bushfires with flying ash everywhere, stronger,very gusty winds. And later, a big williwaw coming down the slopes of Mt Royal caused a violent accidental gybe which broke our bloody boom! Not our best day ever... Repairs pending.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-02-2012, 20:45   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

FrankZ: how does one empty the browser cache? And how often would this be required? The error message implies that the server terminated the contact, not the browser... but I'm pretty ignorant in this area.
It would depend on which browser you use. You can do a Google search for clear cache <browser> and it will tell you.
Old 01-03-2012, 00:23   #9

Quote:
Thanks to you and the others for their responses. Today the problem seems to be gone (touch wood)... we'll see what follows!

The heat wave? Well, the Saturday was the NICEST day I've ever had in Tassie, sailing down the Derwent to Kettering. About 30 degrees, warm N'ly winds of 10 +/- kts, clear skies and air... just lovely! But on Sunday, heading for Esperance, it was hotter, smokey from bushfires with flying ash everywhere, stronger,very gusty winds. And later, a big williwaw coming down the slopes of Mt Royal caused a violent accidental gybe which broke our bloody boom! Not our best day ever... Repairs pending.

Cheers,

Jim
Ouch - sorry to hear about the boom, guess you are OK 'cause you are still posting.
Normally I use Safari and / or Firefox and resetting cache is fairly easy to find as a menu item BUT right now I am using Windows IE so I can't give clear directions re Safari or Firefox as I need to be sitting in front of them to recall how to use 'em.

As for IE, well even though I have it open, I can't find the reset option .

Anyway, you will have more fun working it yourself , it will be a pleasant change from repairing the boom
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-03-2012, 06:23   #10

Quote:
Further to this aspect, now I am home and can see the browsers
Safari (ver 5), use the pull down menu under Safari and choose Empty Cache...
Firefox (ver 3.6) is a little harder. Choose Perferences... under the pull down Firefox menu, then the Advanced tab (on RHS), then Network, then use Clear Now button in the Off-line storage part.

Can't help with other browsers - sorry.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Empty Response Error

In Firefox you can also select...

<Tools/Clear Recent History> and make sure "Cache" is checked in the list
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30   #12

Boat: Haida 26

Same here, only affects CF. All others OK. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 13:46   #13

G'Day all,

Thanks for the many suggestions -- your interest is appreciated.

I am using Chrome, and indeed there are instructions for emptying the cache in the "wrench" menu.

But, once again procrastination solved the problem, for late yesterday (2 March here in Hobart) the problem went away on its own.

So, possibly it was a problem with my mobile (not so) broadband connection, but if that was so, why did it only happen on CF? Or possibly it was a cache problem, but again, the exclusivity is a puzzle. Or just possibly (dare I say it?) it was a problem with the CF server that had originated with the modifications recently attempted. I surely don't know, but I'm glad that it cured itself.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-03-2012, 14:27   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
G'Day all,

Thanks for the many suggestions -- your interest is appreciated.

I am using Chrome, and indeed there are instructions for emptying the cache in the "wrench" menu.

But, once again procrastination solved the problem, for late yesterday (2 March here in Hobart) the problem went away on its own.

So, possibly it was a problem with my mobile (not so) broadband connection, but if that was so, why did it only happen on CF? Or possibly it was a cache problem, but again, the exclusivity is a puzzle. Or just possibly (dare I say it?) it was a problem with the CF server that had originated with the modifications recently attempted. I surely don't know, but I'm glad that it cured itself.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Cheers,

Jim
Glad it seems to be working now.

One of the frustrating things with issues like this is it could be client side, it could be server side, or it could be that bit in the middle that causes the issue (and there's not much we can do about that).