Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2012, 15:04   #1

Errors with iPad App

Like the iPad app because it gets rid of all the advertising spew, but i get errors from it constantly. Connection timeout, parser errors, unknown server responses, etc. Is it just me, or is it junk software?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 15:13   #2
Lt.

I've never had this problems with my Android app.........just saying.........
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 05:23   #3

Re: Errors with iPad App

I think the problems all stem from having sparse communications, kinda like one has while cruising and using an iPad to access the web....

If I'm running the app, then set the ipad down for a while (an hr or overnight) when i pick it back up and refresh the current view, I get a half dozen or more errors. Eventually they clear and it starts working again.

I've also been on the old Edge network recently which is slow. I regularly get network timeouts from the app. i think it's timeouts are all set too short for slower networks. I'm posting this via a browser because it's the only way that works.

Also, there is no error recovery when an error occurs while sending a new post or reply. Multiple times I've gotten a timeout message, then the page goes into an infinite loop. The only way out is to cancel and you lose everything that you typed. That really sucks.

Hopefully this will help The developer fix these fundamental problems.

Standing by for version 2.0.......
Old 26-07-2012, 06:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Re: Errors with iPad App

If you have fundamental networking issues then no app is really going to work properly. It is the responsibility of your TCP/IP stack to handle and recover from packet lose/slow packets. If Apple's implementation of the stack doesn't handle this well, it won't really matter what any developer does at layer 7 (the app).
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 08:54   #5

Sorry, i don't agree. Tcp connections can be lost, and when they are, the app needs to reestablish and pick up where it left off, retry, or whatever is appropriate. Firefox and the cruisers forum use the same tcp stack in the ipad. Firefox handles these things without complaint and without losing my posts and without going into an infinite loop. The forum app does not. You can't blame that on the stack. This is the basics of error path handling, and is one of the things that separates good programming from bad.

Tags
ipad