Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 09:20   #46

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Extremely well known boat I want to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Tin Can, Flyin Hawaiin, Bounty, Titanic?

Some assembly required...

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:34   #47

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Sure - the OP wants to avoid "drama," hence the vague and mysterious teaser, and allusion to the impolite mentioning of what is surely a highly historical, prestigious and valuable asset, to the envy of all.

The lower classes are not to be trusted with such knowledge, lest they sully this refined moment.

Turns out, the OP has decided not to sell it after all. That sucks for us.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:45   #48

Boat: Catalina Capri 22

Reminds me of the ad I saw in one of the New York papers around 1983 after some America's Cup trials in Newport: 65 foot daysailer for sale, foreign registry, call for details.
Rightbrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:48   #49

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

This is silly. Just tell us what "well known" one-of-a-kind boat you have!!
SailShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:00   #50

Please send pictures and info. drcot3@gmail.com

Kind regards David
drcot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:04   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Why are you guys giving the OP such a hard time over trying to keep the sale of his boat Private and confedetial between the Buyer and Seller?

There are a number of valid and personal reasons why he would want to do this and he was just struggling with the format of how to get the message out.

If the boat is well known, then his identify becomes obvious to the whole Forum, which he tries to avoid just as we all remain incognito by using fake names.

To the OP.... good luck, I think open forums are a waste of time in your case....perhaps there is an owners association specific to your type of yacht that would have a better targeted audience.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:19   #52

Boat: no boat any more

"... johnny depp..." that's him! (- ask any kraut native speaker what "depp" means...)
Old 28-12-2018, 10:27   #53

Boat: Catalina Capri 22

Why are we guys giving the OP such a hard time? Because we're all sitting here staring at our screens with nothing better to do and along comes this guy who asks a funny question and sets us all off. And then he leaves in a huff, which makes it even better and now we're all rolling on the floor laughing at our own cleverness.
Rightbrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:30   #54

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Why are you guys giving the OP such a hard time over trying to keep the sale of his boat Private and confedetial between the Buyer and Seller?

There are a number of valid and personal reasons why he would want to do this and he was just struggling with the format of how to get the message out.

If the boat is well known, then his identify becomes obvious to the whole Forum, which he tries to avoid just as we all remain incognito by using fake names.

To the OP.... good luck, I think open forums are a waste of time in your case....perhaps there is an owners association specific to your type of yacht that would have a better targeted audience.
What are those "number of valid and personal reasons" you are thinking of? How can anyone possibly sell anything without advertising what they have for sale? This precludes having the fact that the boat is for sale and then sold kept secret, but it doesn't mean we need to know any details of the transaction other than it was completed or any personal details at all.

Regarding the identity issue, almost every poster either mentions the name of their boat or it's in the photo of the boat beside their screen name so if we all wanted to be nosy about who we all are in real life, we could probably look it up on the USCG registry for documented vessels or similar sites for owners outside the US. But to my knowledge, nobody has done that and used it in a harmful way so I'm not sure why someone would worry about that.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:34   #55

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I am curious as to why no pictures as well, but I do have one observation. First I was in life insurance for a number of decades and basically was in business for myself, that included marketing me. I was given a lot of training in marketing, what to do and not what to do. But I have learned over the years is that what may appear obvious to you and me, definitely doesn't appear obvious to others - translation: many idiots out there.

So lets discuss idiot number one, he did two things less than optimal. 1) He had a retail store in a hobby and he had a particular item that was valuable, but in terms of boating prices of many items, not that valuable. But, valuable to him. So he hid said object for fear of theft and would tell no one about it. Go on, guess how long it took to sell...nope... longer.

The second thing he did was hold sales in his shop, nothing strange about that, but he would only hold surprise sales, never any announced sales, like Black Friday, etc. Why? Because he didn't want his customers not buying something today when they knew it could be on sale two weeks from now. Amazingly, he has done quite well in retail despite himself.

Idiot number two. I will try and translate this into boating, unfortunately power boating (less people here are aware of some well known power boaters). In power boating, there is a rough equivalent of the Pardy's - Tony Fleming and his boat Venture. Imagine I have just scored a free one day package to silent auctioned off at a boat show, the winner will leave from Campbell River over to Desolation Sound on the Venture and flown back. (video of one of many, showing one of many cruises of the Venture). I know, I want it too! Now imagine this delight entered into the boat show auction but it is never advertised at all. Many who might be interested but avoid silent auctions wouldn't know about it, others without more information wouldn't bid. This happened to me, I was the one who scored the offer and it sat with one bid offered and it went for $100.

Idiot number three. A hobby group was hoping to get others involved in the hobby based in a building they were fortunate to score. The meeting was advertised, good job done getting people in. And many came to the meeting, standing room only - good job. But, you know there has to be a "but," no one took any contact information, offered any times to meet, in fact one group couldn't get into the small room where what was being offered was laid out. This group had to stand in another room and never did get the information. You can imagine how many didn't show up for further meetings, which of course they didn't know about.... lol. You can't make this stuff up.

So I thought of the retailer who hid his expensive product away for fear of theft when this chap in this thread wanted to advertise his boat without pictures, same kind of deal. Marketing is more complex than it appears and marketers are kind of looked down on, but if you watch "Mad Men" you realized the skill involved was far more difficult than it looks to the general public.

I have other examples, but then this would be a very long post:

One of the Fleming videos:
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:55   #56
cruiser

It is just so hard to take pictures of a boat at the bottom of 50 fathoms of water. lol
Shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:08   #57
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Some assembly required...
The Antelope? (Barrett's Privateers)

Oh, the year was 1778
How I wish I was in Sherbrooke now
A letter of marque came from the king
To the scummiest vessel I've ever seen
God damn them all! I was told
We'd cruise the seas for American gold
We'd fire no guns, shed no tears
But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier
The last of Barrett's Privateers

Oh, Elcid Barrett cried the town
For twenty brave men all fishermen who
Would make for him the Antelope's crew

The Antelope sloop was a sickening sight
She'd a list to the port and her sails in rags
And the cook in the scuppers with the staggers and jags

SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:44   #58

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

This thread is priceless.

I've met people exactly like the OP @ yacht club mixers, which is why I no longer do yacht club mixers.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:50   #59

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

It may be well known in the far reaches of your mind but without pictures or a name this is total BS!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 15:15   #60

I don't know why, but I just have to have this boat. How much is it again?

And, after I send you the check, can I see it?

Tags
boat