Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2022, 07:45   #1

Boat: Voyage 480
Send a message via Skype™ to jerrypeters
Getting better response - hints

I receive the forum's newsletter and see that, in each newsletter, there are many messages posted with multiple pages of responses for each post .

I have submitted a few posts and receive very few, if any, responses. My posts, IMHO, are no more or less interesting than the posts I read in the newsletter so what am I doing wrong? Are there techniques or procedures for getting wider distribution and response.

Any thoughts are very welcome.
jerrypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:56   #2

Re: Getting better response - hints

The goal should be quality not quantity.

Put into the title those keywords that are most specific, also attractive to your target audience.

Do not imply you expect the help, always show gratitude for those volunteering their time and knowledge.

Search both the forum and google first, so you do not ask FAQs, and do not ask to be educated about 101-level basics - word the Qs as specifically as possible, able to be answered in a minute or two.

Posting "I have heard that..." (controversial misconception) can lead to people wanting to a corrective answer.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:02   #3

Thanks Paul. Good points all.
Old 14-10-2022, 15:33   #4

Well, so this is another example of my concern.

I have had one response to my original post and I am reading the current newsletter with pages and pages of responses to posts that are arguably not very interesting. I don't begrudge any other's responses I just want to make sure I'm not posting in a way that doesn't provide exposure.

I understand that quality is more important than quantity but if you don't get enough exposure and responses - the quality is not there either.

Anyway ... any other ideas?
Old 14-10-2022, 16:02   #5

Post in other forums.

Also social media.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 16:16   #6

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

I noticed your post that included a couple of photos got a handful of responses. That’s probably one pretty good hint. People are lazy, a wall of text scares a lot of people off.

Agree with quality over quantity. Do you actually read those threads that go on for pages? They rarely stay on topic, and are usually a waste of time after the first 20 or 30 replies.

Nothing wrong with replying to your own thread after a few days to bring it back to the ‘new posts’ page. CF seems to go through busy times and lulls.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 16:23   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Are you kidding? You hit a miracle around here

I looked at your threads and they were answers and/ or provided with the best possible solutions in short order. That’s a miracle. Be thankful you weren’t inundated with bad ideas, dreamy but unpractical suggestions, or meandering foolishness.
Old 14-10-2022, 16:35   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

What is your goal? This isn't social media, and you are not judged by how many likes or followers you get. Creating a conversation with a lot of replies isn't usually a goal here.

If you ask a question and the first person to reply answers it satisfactorily then there isn't much reason for anyone else to follow-up.

If you ask a question to which there is a lot of controversy, you might get a lot of replies, and not ever resolve the issue.
Old 14-10-2022, 16:48   #9

Getting better response - hints

You’ll get a rapid response if you post on Colregs, anchors, not clearing in or out, guns, batteries or corrosion.
I’m always curious about the threads that start and then the OP vanishes ....or the fake threads with some inane question as a “first post, joined 1 hour ago”
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 17:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
You’ll get a rapid response if you post on Colregs, anchors, not clearing in or out, guns, batteries or corrosion.
I’m always curious about the threads that start and then the OP vanishes ....or the fake threads with some inane question as a “first post, joined 1 hour ago”

You forgot Lithium batteries and “Blue Water”

Seriously Jerry if you just want to chat, plenty will. But if you ask reasonable questions you may be stopped short by reasonable answers. Go ahead and try this: ask a fairly basic question that’s ambiguous, add a bunch of details nobody will read, and it will go for pages- but don’t follow any of the advice.
Old 14-10-2022, 17:11   #11

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post

Nothing wrong with replying to your own thread after a few days to bring it back to the ‘new posts’ page. CF seems to go through busy times and lulls.
Ha! Quoting my own suggestion because I didn’t even realize that’s exactly what you had just done. And sure enough, 5 responses in an hour or so. Maybe I actually know things sometimes! (Emphasis on sometimes)
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 17:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You forgot Lithium batteries and “Blue Water”.

Sorry - I appreciate this is off topic, but we should also mentions cats vs mono. That’ll stir a few pots.

But seriously; the advice above is good. And +1 responding to yourself if you don’t get the traction you want.
torpnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 17:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'm sometimes reluctant to start a thread because I know there'll be a bunch of off-topic or thread-drifting posts to sift through, and usually if I post it's because I'm looking for a clear answer to something.
Old 14-10-2022, 17:38   #14

Ok, ok, I get it. It's just sometimes I see a dozen responses that provide a variety of views and I think that's often quite helpful. By page 2 or 3 I agree, there is considerable drift and little value. Anyway, I appreciate the response here. thank you.
Old 14-10-2022, 18:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypeters View Post
Ok, ok, I get it. It's just sometimes I see a dozen responses that provide a variety of views and I think that's often quite helpful. By page 2 or 3 I agree, there is considerable drift and little value. Anyway, I appreciate the response here. thank you.
You don’t want hundreds of opinions. You want those that have experience and knowledge behind them. You need time here to figure out the two dozen to listen to.

If you want to chat that’s ok too. You could discuss something of your experiences. Or anchors.