Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2021, 01:03   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How to close my account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
In addition to the Meet and Greet forum should there not also be a Bon Voyage equivalent? So an existing user can kind of say good bye and not just disappear. For example if a user with a very large amount of posts were to 'retire' from posting (which obviously has happened many times in the past), isn't it appropriate to kind of say 'it's been fun, am stepping out now' or words to that effect? I for one am curious about what happened when an active poster simply disappears and, to be frank, sometimes very slightly concerned...
If it is a planned departure and they want to say goodbye, they start a thread for it, and people exchange good byes.

I remember Deckofficer had quite a nice goodbye thread some years back. The software is as it is, but it allows you to start that kind of thread with no problems.

And, everybody who wants it gets closure, too, which is a good thing.

Ann
Old 16-05-2021, 02:00   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40

PM me your password and I'll get her closed for you in no time mate.
Old 16-05-2021, 14:16   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^
Hi, Raymond, thanks for the chuckle.

In the off chance what I wrote was not clear enough, what I was getting at is that people do tend to feel better when they get to say their goodbyes. It is often hardest when they had unfinished business with the person who has left without the courtesy of a goodbye. Especially with death.

But we're talking about people like young Kelsey B, who might just disappear. She is a member whom lots of people tried to help, and fixed up her own 2nd hand boat, and took a voyage in it. When/if she leaves, people would like to say good bye, and fair winds.

Also, as people get older, and become more accepting of the idea that they, too, could *disappear* suddenly, saying goodbyes to sort of protect both parties happens more often, along with telling them and showing them that you care about them. It protects the leaver because they know when they leave they may not see their friends again, and they are somewhat protected in that you had the courtesy and caring to make a point of a pleasant goodbye.

Ann
Old 16-05-2021, 20:40   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
^^^^
Hi, Raymond, thanks for the chuckle.

In the off chance what I wrote was not clear enough, what I was getting at is that people do tend to feel better when they get to say their goodbyes. It is often hardest when they had unfinished business with the person who has left without the courtesy of a goodbye. Especially with death.

But we're talking about people like young Kelsey B, who might just disappear. She is a member whom lots of people tried to help, and fixed up her own 2nd hand boat, and took a voyage in it. When/if she leaves, people would like to say good bye, and fair winds.

Also, as people get older, and become more accepting of the idea that they, too, could *disappear* suddenly, saying goodbyes to sort of protect both parties happens more often, along with telling them and showing them that you care about them. It protects the leaver because they know when they leave they may not see their friends again, and they are somewhat protected in that you had the courtesy and caring to make a point of a pleasant goodbye.

Ann
Hi Ann, I wholly concur with the above but not because I would like the closure. Knowing exactly when I was going to fall off the perch would give me the opportunity to get the last word in on a lot of buggers I'd like to cheat of any right of reply.
Old 17-05-2021, 04:47   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
. Knowing exactly when I was going to fall off the perch would give me the opportunity to get the last word in on a lot of buggers I'd like to cheat of any right of reply.
thats the spirit. Most only completely leaving due to the buggers