Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 05:48   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
I Want to help improve CF - The CF Suggestion Box Thread

There's another website I was very active in that had a running thread for suggestions to make the website better... It wasn't perfect... Didn't ALWAYS work... But most of the time there was a very good compromise between the users and the Hosts-Mods-Techs....

Here's a redacted copy and paste from the chick ad thread to start it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress

Firstly, I did ask Andy R, the big boss, if he could make our vendors and their threads a little easier to find, since I know many of us like to support their giveaways, as well as other special offers they make. Personally, I think it is much easier to distinguish, now, between which ads are our own vendors, and which are targeted google ads. My objective achieved!

Secondly, there are no extra ads. They have simply been moved around to make better use of the space available to us, and give our vendors more prominence.

Now, if I can help to put something back in, as I try to do by handling our vendors, then it's the least I can do. And rather than being a tiresome chore, it is a pleasure to deal with businesses who can, and do, help us out by supporting the site costs through their subscriptions, and by supporting our members through their discounts and Giveaways. To me, it all seems like win/win. Especially given it's all still for free!

So we have found the culprit... Ah HA!!!! Bad Saucy....
Intentions are noble... the vendors are flip flappin' awesome here... I think we all support them... When I need a new anchor/snubber hook it will be Mantus... If Hopcar's got something I need and it's a few bucks around the best price... It's Hoppy... If WaterwayGuide has the material I'm lookin' for... It's them... Etc...

There's a TON of room on my browser to move the new vendor box in the right pane DIRECTLY UNDER the recent discussions list... Move it from between the posts to there, and I think we'll all be happy... I would bet my port preventer that's where 90% of us navigate the site from anyway... Way more than actual posting... ALSO... You can also get rid of the STUPID "popular topics" box there... It is completely useless with the tags of:

ais anchor arc Australia autopilot Bahamas battery Caribbean catamaran charts crew cruising diesel engine florida fuel garmin generator lagoon liveaboard marine mast member Mexico opencpn outboard Panama paracelle radar raymarine sail sailboat sailing sale solar volvo wanted water yacht yanmar

"sail/sailboat/sailing/water/yacht are my favorite need to have links...
I think we all can use the search function just fine...

AND FINALLY...... WHY ARE THERE NO ADS FOR ADBLOCKERS!!!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 05:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: I Want to help improve CF - The CF Suggestion Box Thread

Well gee. I think you covered the main points pretty well. Really can't think of anything to add.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 06:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well gee. I think you covered the main points pretty well. Really can't think of anything to add.
Thanks Skip... I had posters remorse thinking I started this way too wordy... Concise points and suggestions are what got things done on the other website... Should have been:

Mods!
The new ad placement is obnoxious and makes me want to quit CF...
1. Please consider moving the ads newly placed between posts to the right pane under recent discussions... This is where we all page navigate the website anyway...
2. Get rid of the "popular topics" box there... I am on a sailing cruisers website... I don't need a 30 link list with the tags of:
"sail/sailboat/sailing/water/yacht" It's a huge waste of your valuable webpage real estate...

We love our sponsors... Please don't make us install ad blockers!
THANKS FOR LISTNIN' !

Old 27-03-2014, 07:55   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Mods!
The new ad placement is obnoxious and makes me want to quit CF...
1. Please consider moving the ads newly placed between posts to the right pane under recent discussions... This is where we all page navigate the website anyway...
2. Get rid of the "popular topics" box there... I am on a sailing cruisers website... I don't need a 30 link list with the tags of:
"sail/sailboat/sailing/water/yacht" It's a huge waste of your valuable webpage real estate...

We love our sponsors... Please don't make us install ad blockers!
THANKS FOR LISTNIN' !
I guess I can "ditto" this, although to be honest, the change made me seek out more effective ad blockers. Now I don't see anything, and I love it. So perhaps I should thanks Saucy and Andy for making the change. Before I lived with the ads. Now I know I don't have to -- so thanks .

I do frequent the sponsors' sites when I'm looking for something. I especially appreciate those who also contribute to the community with advice and discussion. I've purchased from a few. I understand that businesses want to create need, and then fill that with their stuff; that's what advertising is all about. I choose to fill my actual needs when I choose.
Old 27-03-2014, 08:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I guess I can "ditto" this, although to be honest, the change made me seek out more effective ad blockers. Now I don't see anything, and I love it. So perhaps I should thanks Saucy and Andy for making the change. Before I lived with the ads. Now I know I don't have to -- so thanks .

I do frequent the sponsors' sites when I'm looking for something. I especially appreciate those who also contribute to the community with advice and discussion. I've purchased from a few. I understand that businesses want to create need, and then fill that with their stuff; that's what advertising is all about. I choose to fill my actual needs when I choose.
I posted this very same thought over in the chick ad thread...

For the mods: I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new thread started soon detailing the exact procedures to effectively install ad blocking software...

We fall all over ourselves with multiple posts giving gland packing recommendations... This really isn't a big reach...

Old 27-03-2014, 08:32   #6

Its easy. Any ad that is at the top , bottom or out of the way is good. Any ad that pops up or is big in the middle of the forum... those companies go on the "NO BUY/NO CONTACT" list.
I'm getting a pretty good list together already. Fortunately , most these places are ones I've never heard of anyway...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 09:15   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
You can also get rid of the STUPID "popular topics" box there... It is completely useless with the tags ...

I think we all can use the search function just fine...
The tags search box is there because different people use the site differently. Tags searches are pretty commonly used and we try to present and order info in ways to meet various surfing needs.

It's worth noting that on all forum pages, save the portal, you can disable the right column entirely by configuring your account settings (user cp>edit options...)

And it worth mentioning again that there is an option for Supporting Members to turn off many ads.

Usercp >edit options

or click here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...do=editoptions

Scroll down and select the view you prefer in the Miscellaneous section and then hit save. Ads keep the board online for everyone, but for those who help out as CF Supporters we have this option.

In either case, no matter which way you support the board (clicking on ads or as a Supporter) we appreciate the help keeping the lights on

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 09:38   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The tags search box is there because different people use the site differently. Tags searches are pretty commonly used and we try to present and order info in ways to meet various surfing needs.

It's worth noting that on all forum pages, save the portal, you can disable the right column entirely by configuring your account settings (user cp>edit options...)

And it worth mentioning again that there is an option for Supporting Members to turn off many ads.

Usercp >edit options

Scroll down and select the view you prefer in the Miscellaneous section and then hit save. Ads keep the board online for everyone, but for those who help out as CF Supporters we have this option.

In either case, no matter which way you support the board (clicking on ads or as a Supporter) we appreciate the help keeping the lights on
We like the supporting! We like the site!

On my browser and scale... I estimated 30" of unused space in the right pane scrolling from the lowest content to the horizontally adjacent box to post.... That's a LOT of unused space....

This is a lower priority issue... Tag links are common... If I was on a "Lime Aficionado" website though, tag links like this are wasted space...

Green/citrus/small/not quite round but more fat football shaped

All this is... Is a simple suggestion to make people happier and use the site more!!! = (more revenue)...

I hope this doesn't cut short the honeymoon debauchery in other posts...

Old 27-03-2014, 15:25   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FWIW, if one were where the vendor is, then one would certainly give them a chance at the sale, particularly so if the vendors' posts' were informative about the discussion under way. Sometimes they're thinly disguised ads that don't illluminate the subject.

Example: Yesterday, I read a post by Matt from Neptune's Gear. I thought it was well written and a persuasive argument. It made me feel respect. I would consider purchasing from them, in spite of my well known resistance to advertising. His post made a difference.

I am so tired of seeing inflatable kayaks advertised in between posts that I promise I shall never buy one--ever. Product recognition overwhelmed by negative reaction. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who feels this way.

I feel very much like Mike O'Reilly and second his post. And if the thread comes along that explains for the computer-stupid like me, I'll get a better ad blocker going, which will make the vendors' posts the only thing I see about them. And that could benefit both of us!

My personal preference is for ads that do not move, and are not in between posts.

Ann
Old 27-03-2014, 16:12   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FWIW, if one were where the vendor is, then one would certainly give them a chance at the sale, particularly so if the vendors' posts' were informative about the discussion under way. Sometimes they're thinly disguised ads that don't illluminate the subject.

Example: Yesterday, I read a post by Matt from Neptune's Gear. I thought it was well written and a persuasive argument. It made me feel respect. I would consider purchasing from them, in spite of my well known resistance to advertising. His post made a difference.

I am so tired of seeing inflatable kayaks advertised in between posts that I promise I shall never buy one--ever. Product recognition overwhelmed by negative reaction. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who feels this way.

I feel very much like Mike O'Reilly and second his post. And if the thread comes along that explains for the computer-stupid like me, I'll get a better ad blocker going, which will make the vendors' posts the only thing I see about them. And that could benefit both of us!

My personal preference is for ads that do not move, and are not in between posts.

Ann
Yepper Ann.... It's the guys that join the discussions... I've mentioned it in both threads...

And a move away from the red pointed out above is pretty much the request!

Thanks!

Old 27-03-2014, 18:13   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Agreed! Matt is a great example of someone whom I would do business with. I appreciate his efforts here, and would support him with a purchase if I can.

Quote:
I fear the wrath of the mods, otherwise I would post a direct link Ann. A search for "adblock" will turn up the necessary links. Installation on your favourite browser is pretty easy -- at least it was for Safari on my Mac. Once installed you just need to tell it to block the things that you want gone, like those annoying mid-thread ads.

I also run "ghostery" which blocks all the secret data collection that most sites do now. It is currently blocking five such trackers on CF right now.

Again, none of this is meant as an attack on the owners or mods here. This is a private space that costs money to operate (not tons of money, but not insignificant). I hope Andy is paying for his cruising (and more) with the revenue from this site. I also think mods should be paid in more than just gratis memberships for the incredible work they do, but that's an issue for them and the owner. I, like Ann, HappyMdRSailor, and a few others, simply do not want to be bombarded with uninvited advertising all the time.

As for CF, I appreciate it very much, and I try and contribute to this community in a productive and friendly way. I offer my limited experience when I can, I hopefully ask reasonable and useful questions, and I try to remain civil in discussion, even when faced with uncivil behaviour (sadly, I'm not always successful at this last point). If this is not sufficient for the owners, then I can be shown the door. And if the service becomes too annoying to use, I will find the door. I guess if I go silent now, you'll know one of those two options came to pass
Old 28-03-2014, 06:54   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike...

You're for more of an asset here on CF than you give yourself credit for...

Old 28-03-2014, 07:08   #13

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

Usercp >edit options

Blah Blah, sounds like lip service to me. The bottom line is that the way advertising on this site has changed and that change has caused some unrest. Other than paying some fee to become a supporter is there going to be any other changes made?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:15   #14

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Agreed! Matt is a great example of someone whom I would do business with. I appreciate his efforts here, and would support him with a purchase if I can.

I fear the wrath of the mods, otherwise I would post a direct link Ann. A search for "adblock" will turn up the necessary links. Installation on your favourite browser is pretty easy -- at least it was for Safari on my Mac. Once installed you just need to tell it to block the things that you want gone, like those annoying mid-thread ads.

I also run "ghostery" which blocks all the secret data collection that most sites do now. It is currently blocking five such trackers on CF right now.

Again, none of this is meant as an attack on the owners or mods here. This is a private space that costs money to operate (not tons of money, but not insignificant). I hope Andy is paying for his cruising (and more) with the revenue from this site. I also think mods should be paid in more than just gratis memberships for the incredible work they do, but that's an issue for them and the owner. I, like Ann, HappyMdRSailor, and a few others, simply do not want to be bombarded with uninvited advertising all the time.

As for CF, I appreciate it very much, and I try and contribute to this community in a productive and friendly way. I offer my limited experience when I can, I hopefully ask reasonable and useful questions, and I try to remain civil in discussion, even when faced with uncivil behaviour (sadly, I'm not always successful at this last point). If this is not sufficient for the owners, then I can be shown the door. And if the service becomes too annoying to use, I will find the door. I guess if I go silent now, you'll know one of those two options came to pass
Well written !!! I may not be as civil as Mike and may not always agree with some who post but this is one post that I agree and respect.

Thank you Mike O
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Other suggestions to improve the CF experience...

1. We want CF sponsored "rum bashes" cleverly disguised as "yottey" wine and cheese parties...
2. A SAT tracker on Andy's boat so if we are in the vicinity we can have a chat about the evolutionary changes of CF
3. Future Sponsor contests interspersed with limited entry "everybody wins"
4. Free CF logo gear for major contributors... Snarky humor contributors given preferential rating... (for crabby and monkey mostly)
5. Just keep up the good work that has been, and is being done to make this website as great as it is.... A big bow and thanks to all the CF Mods who make this a better place... Nobody is excluded... But Coops with his thread closing and merging... Janet with the nuts and bolts... Saucy with the nuts, bolts, and contests... All of you... Thank You...