Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a "women on board" thread here?
Yes, definitely 13 68.42%
Sure, good idea 4 21.05%
I don't care 2 10.53%
No, we don't need one 0 0%
Definitely not 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-01-2006, 14:23   #16

Ahhhh come on. Can't we all just get along?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 22:17   #17
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Oh my God, Alan. You've really got me in trouble now.
"I know ones like Sue Wedderel would be of great help"
Ed, please remove this post immediately
If she sees this she may actually expect me to marry her!!

NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 21:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
The very act of creating a women's forum is sexist, just as it would be to create a men's forum.

My partner and I have discussed this, and our experience is that women on boats, either as skipper or first mate, tend to have opinions about seamanship and safety offshore that are worth listening to.

And, unlike men, when they don't have knowledge about a particular subject they tend not to offer opinions Men go on and on...
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 23:42   #19

I disagree with the statement that a womens forum is sexist.Its only sexist when a male says"better keep to the kids & pets aboard or the cooking recipe type forums" If ya got no hair you have no need to wash ya head,well,not with shampoo anyway.One thing that does seem strange is the amount of women that refer to their men as the "better half".Hey Im a bloke Ok,You might be a chick,but without saying it the truth is both sexs have two different ways of going about it and see it & confront it"It beeing almost everything" differently.So the chicks have their own forum"and I bet every male will look in on that one"Its not a new concept,but one that is allways sustaining attacks from all-sides for no legitamit reason,the best & biggest one being "Its sexist". Thats the biggest load of crapp Ive ever heard.Its only sexist if you perseive it as such!!!The thought of a womens forum was not conceived from an Idear of"Women only,because us men are going to be drawn to it anyway, and the women know that anyway,I think a womens perception of something "bottem line " can only be properly perceived by a women.OH and men like me.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 01:01   #20
Captain

Quote:
just as it would be to create a men's forum.
Ehhh - men inhabit most forums on this site. So what's your point?

It is a fact that the genders communicate in different ways.

I second this new forum, and look forward to see what it brings.

Nice viewpoints, guys. Happy to see that some understand.

Old 23-01-2006, 03:17   #21

Amphibian,Parr for the course that men dominate this site, and I deffinately agree with the "I second this forum,110%". What I said at the start of my post was "I dissagree with the statement that a womens forum IS SEXIST" "It is a fact that genders communicate in different ways"Well **** didnt I say that,allbeit a tad different.Jimbin said befor my reply "The very act of creating a womens forum is sexist"This is what my point was,"I dissagree with that statement!!"Everything else that I said in my post was ,observation and bantor,nothing more & nothing less.Hey the bit about the better half,thats for you to decide on,it just seems that women say it moreoften than men"observation".The fact that if there was a womens forum,that men would be drawn to it anyway"well you allready said you look forward to what it brings"How ya gonna do that without going there?"observastion"Amphibian the rest is just too trivial for me to point out.I also think the Idear is great ,I just dont think it is sexist.Thats the point!!LOL
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 12:42   #22

Boat: East Orient 32
Women's forum

Ok, here are examples of real questions that women have asked me and ones that I don't think would fit on another thread:

1. How can I get my skipper to teach me how to use the GPS? He gets really impatient with me and I get the feeling that he wants the navigation station to be his domain, but I really would like to learn.

2. I answered a 'crew wanted ad' and although we have corresponded via email, we have never met before. I'm planning to fly to where his boat is so that we can meet. How can I find out if he expects extra benefits - and can I trust his answer? What if he turns out to be a captain Bly? How can I protect myself?

3. My boyfriend really loves sailing, but I have never done it. He now wants to buy an offshore boat and cruise around the world. He says I don't have to know anything, he'll teach me. What if I miss my family and friends. What if I don't like it or we break up somewhere far from home. I would have to quit my job and store all my furniture. I'm afraid.

4. I just broke up with my boyfriend and he just dumped my gear on the beach. So, now I'm stuck in Equador with all my books, my clothes, my diving gear, my favourite cooking pots and no money. Help!

5. I used to sail with my boyfriend, but he turned into captain Bly. However, I love cruising and I want my own boat. Is it difficult for a woman to cruise alone? Is it safe?

Shall I go on?
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 14:10   #23

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Questions

1 It is essential that more than one person can navigate. It is almost the top of my list of requirements that another person can back me up. I would teach anyone this skill or any other sailing skill.
Numbers 2 3 4 no good answer. 5 Avoid the Captain Blighs, life is too short. Get the man drunk and check to see if his personality changes. If he is happy sober and happy drunk and knows how to sail, he is a keeper. If his temper gradually gets worse, give him a miss. The hired gun ( Lee Marvin ) in Cat Baleau is a good example of a happy drunk that could do his job.
Actually some officers referred to Captain Bligh as the finest skipper they had ever sailed with.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 16:54   #24

Boat: currently "on the beach"
This Forum is a community made up of it's members. If a group of members want to create a separate category, why the debate ? If the result is to increase the number of members posting and encourage the exchange of ideas, how could it be anything but good ? If this category makes some more comfortable in asking questions or offering advice, it is a benefit to all. Give it a try.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:33   #25

new thread-women on board

great idea , seagypsy, I will tell all my cruising sisters!
admiralred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 19:20   #26

Welcome aboard admiralred.

You've come to the infamous cruisersforum. THIS IS WHERE THE TRUTH IS!!

Eventhough, the majority of the members are male. I'm being one of them. I have no problems with the ladies having their say, in the matter of sailing. Cause they're people too!!

I just wanted to welcome you onboard. So if you have any questions or answers. Please feel free to post them in here.

Welcome aboard.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 27-01-2006, 20:47   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
I was just stating my humble opinion. Yes, I think it would be sexist. But if you want to have one, go ahead.

It would be a shame though if creating a women's forum creates a "women's place" and they feel reluctant to participate in other forums.

So many women I know are about so much more than domestic issues, and not nearly as helpless as those who asked those questions of seagypsywoman.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2006, 22:04   #28

Most Women......?

Well. We can not blame the ladies for this kind of active lifestyle.

I am not trying to anger the ladies here. But please bare with me on this. Ok?

Alot of the ladies in this world were brought up. To act as wife and child bearer. Some do that and persue active roles working. Others become atheletes, particpating in sports. Some become writers. Some lawyers. Some doctors, & even scientists!!

But, a very few choose to choose cruising as a real lifestyle. There are those who go out on a day or weekend cruise. But, I personelly have not seen too much notice on women being real serious cruisers. Like the majority of us guys are?

But if I am wrong? Then please, let me know. I do want to know!! Cause this will help me understand the female mindset about sailing in general?

Old 27-01-2006, 23:42   #29
Kai Nui

Kevin, I beg to differ. I could give you a long list of women who either cruise solo, with other women, or are the skipper of the vessel they have (usually unbeknownst to thier spouse). While I do agree that there are allot of women that were raised to the standards of the 1950's, most who remain there are doing so out of choice. Circumstance may dictate that choice in some cases, but it is still a choice. I will admit that the acceptance of women cruisers in many other countries is still lacking, but a number of determined women have proven that it is possible. As I said before, women do not think of differnt things, but they often think of things differently.
Old 28-01-2006, 08:57   #30

Sure Scott (Kai).

You could email me that list?

Like I said. I'm still learning here. Still have lots more to learn.

And like you said. In other countries.That pretty much sums up on what I said in my last post on this thread.

Other countries customs (way of life) is different. Than from the way of life, say in the USA, UK, France. Germany. Australia. Countries like these are ahead in that department.

But you can throw the book out the door, when you even mention, third world countries here?

Kevin