Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2006, 07:56   #31

Gord.

I love your unsavory character trait. Don't let no one tell you any different.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 22:42   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
I have opinions that I suppose lots of folks here would vehemently disagreed with. That's life. But at Lats and Atts, the Bilge overflows into other areas of the board (such at the folding bicycle post mentioned above that turned into a war over China). It's like forum cancer. If you want that, fine. It's not me.

I don't want you to think like me. I want you to help me fix my boat!

Oh, but I do like the mag, it's fun, reminds me of what Cruising World was back in the 70s.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 00:01   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Oh trust me Jimbim, ain't no way we will ever let this place go to the dogs like Lats&Atts BB did.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 17:15   #34

Boat: C&C 27
The old days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim
Oh, but I do like the mag, it's fun, reminds me of what Cruising World was back in the 70s.
I remember when CW was something to read... The earlier issues of Lats and Atts was something too... Too bad they're gone.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 19:56   #35
Kai Nui

Every once and awhile I like reading Latts & Atts. It is fun to look at things that I will never be able to afford to own or maintain. Bring me an old issue of Good Old Boat any day.
Old 17-07-2006, 21:09   #36
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Kai? Why would you need a mag for that? O
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 22:56   #37
Marine Service Provider

Admit I've only seen a couple Lats and Atts issues, at a friend's place when I went home for a visit. Not sure of the vintage. Can't get them here. Struck me as less commercial, though could be wrong.

See it rarely, but CW has some good cruising yarns, by Beth Leonard and others, but so much is about selling you something, so much reads like an advertorial, and every boat that they review is perfect for someone -- even though in truth it's an overpriced piece of crap, for everyone.
Old 18-07-2006, 02:20   #38

What really piss's me off is that If ya not a full-on racer sailing dude/dude-ett in Australia,there is no local forums for cruisers or live-a-boards.Afloat magazine has a forum for this,but,It's not utalized by the people that live aboard enough to warrant particement if ya into that sort of lifestyle,and that really sucks Australia.So any OZZIE'S that read this forum"And I know ya do!!!"Join up! put a bit of local live a board and cruising info about our part of the woods in here,or one dark night when ya leave ya PC on by mistake I'll come thru ya broadband and tear ya sails to threads and ream ya thru-hull good an proper.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 04:05   #39

Boat: C&C 27
Sorry Jimbim, that was not a shot across your bow, just a lament for a lost day. Much like a music or better yet food, when a magazine devotes its content to being palatable to the largest audience it looses the flavor that made it interesting in the first place. The old Latts and Atts was hard cruising and hard partying, descriptions of the interesting characters that you meet and places you really want to go. Now readers are arguing that a girl in a bikini is too sexy for the cover. L&A has its investors to consider but in trying to sell to a wider audience they have become just another chain style resturant. Or to put it in terms that Bob B might understand, they sold out to the posers.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 10:23   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
Sorry Jimbim, that was not a shot across your bow, just a lament for a lost day.
No problem. Not taken that way at all. I agree.
Old 18-07-2006, 12:18   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I recieve three mags a month. A NZ one that tires to cover too much of everything and results in little of anything. But it's Kiwi, so local info still makes me buy it. Then Practicle Sailor, a british mag, full of a lot of good info and stories, but sadly it takes 4-6weeks to get it here in NZ. Then L&A, becuase it still has some good articles form other alike sailors. although, I think stories from the two regular "paid" writers are getting tired. They seem to struggle with what to write about each month. But I really like the articles from other readers and Kids articles are really cool. I love the photo section of folka all around the world.
But if more "regular sailors" contribute here with just plain ole stories, I think this place would very quickly take over from mags like L&A.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 21:22   #42
Marine Service Provider

British mags are the best, I reckon. Practical Boat Owner, Practical Sailor, Yachting Monthly, tons of useful information, little fluff.
Old 30-07-2006, 19:05   #43

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I second the brit magazines; my favourite - Pactical Boat Owner. And part of their practicality is that they review older boats in the most popular sizes that are purchased - 20 to 30 feet.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 08:55   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I'm still mourning the loss of "Ocean Navigator", sigh...

Oh, I know it doesn't know it's dead yet, but I'm afraid it is.

I also agree with Pura Vida about "CW"...<double sigh>

Deep
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 16:52   #45
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Seems like Latts and Atts forum has been down for a while. I wonder whats up????
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote