Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 17:13   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
Make Social Groups More Useful

So, there's another thread about social groups and how we would like to use them more: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-175367.html, after the one I participated in recently: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...et-171765.html

and I had to go look up where to find social groups, again, to be able to post that second link. So it's not exactly top of mind.

As has been discussed, and to put it into marketing terms, these groups are "pull" as opposed to "push" - you have to go look for the information rather than having it presented to you as it becomes available. But, what just finally clicked for me, is that this is contrary to how everything else on CF works - so we're conditioned to use one approach and then wonder why we don't get any action on the section of the site that uses a different approach.

Which leads me to ask: Could something be changed in the social forums to make them work more like the rest of the site? For example, allow us to subscribe to a given group (rather than just becoming a member, which does ... what?) so that we would receive a notification when there is activity.

The idea of these groups appeals to me and I would love to see them work better, but it's just not realistic to expect me to go and skim the groups for activity every day, as I do on the main feeds. Unless something is changed to make them more "in your face" I expect that they will remain stagnant.

Notes:

1. If there are any groups that are active that I'm not aware of I'd love to hear about them and try to understand the what works for them and how it might be transferred.

2. FWIW I have had responsibility in the past for website development where the development of such social groups was part of the objective, and I know what a PITA it is. (Part of what led me to decide it was time to retire.) It's really hard to guess what the actual users will decide to use, and how they will decide to use it.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:40   #2

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Make Social Groups More Useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
So, there's another thread about social groups and how we would like to use them more: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-175367.html, after the one I participated in recently: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...et-171765.html

and I had to go look up where to find social groups, again, to be able to post that second link. So it's not exactly top of mind.

As has been discussed, and to put it into marketing terms, these groups are "pull" as opposed to "push" - you have to go look for the information rather than having it presented to you as it becomes available. But, what just finally clicked for me, is that this is contrary to how everything else on CF works - so we're conditioned to use one approach and then wonder why we don't get any action on the section of the site that uses a different approach.

Which leads me to ask: Could something be changed in the social forums to make them work more like the rest of the site? For example, allow us to subscribe to a given group (rather than just becoming a member, which does ... what?) so that we would receive a notification when there is activity.

The idea of these groups appeals to me and I would love to see them work better, but it's just not realistic to expect me to go and skim the groups for activity every day, as I do on the main feeds. Unless something is changed to make them more "in your face" I expect that they will remain stagnant.

Notes:

1. If there are any groups that are active that I'm not aware of I'd love to hear about them and try to understand the what works for them and how it might be transferred.

2. FWIW I have had responsibility in the past for website development where the development of such social groups was part of the objective, and I know what a PITA it is. (Part of what led me to decide it was time to retire.) It's really hard to guess what the actual users will decide to use, and how they will decide to use it.
Second this thread !!!!!!!!!
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:45   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have found that folks desiring, or saying they desire joining ssssm donot follow instructions for the vetting and are lost by that failure.
other than this , social groups are dependent upon the members for their activity. if there is no action, then check with the membership of that group
much of the action in a social group is carried on via private messaging. that means you must initiate action if you wish same.
turn on your notifications for the group you join.
follow instructions for the membership in your choice of groups. each is different.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:19   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

turn on your notifications for the group you join.
!!!!

That's what I was looking for, but didn't know existed! (And apparently I'm not the only one.)

Go into a group of your choice, look for "group tools" and you can subscribe. You're then asked if you want a daily or weekly e-mail, which I presume (because I haven't seen one yet) summarizes recent group activity.

Would users prefer that this be turned on by default, or is this approach okay once you know it's there?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:57   #5

Just join a major yacht club and you will have tons of social contacts virtually worldwide.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:44   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Anglais In Hull,

I think part of the problem of the user may be that some of us are not adept internet users, and our thought processes were trained by librarians--we are not efficient web site seekers. I am a case in point. One problem is that Jim and I share an e-mail address. This is because we have been cruising a long time, and e-mail used to be done via ham radio and amtor. So, roots in the past.

I did join the sewing group, and then, forgot how to find it. I did post to it, but it was as you noted above, sort of stagnant. So I quit "practicing" going there. I still don't know how to get to it, and I have Jim's e-mail address, but the one I had to join CF has been let lapse for years, so they do not contact me via e-mail, they cannot. [Becoming a member here was the only use I had for that address.]

If posts to the social groups showed up on the "New Posts", then one can use "Thread tools" to subscribe, and once subscribed, the new posts to them should show up if you check the CP threads subscribed. Now, I'll go see if that will work, because I do know that not all threads I respond to show up there, the selection appears haphazard to me.

Ann
Old 09-11-2016, 06:40   #7

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

WOW....Once you know how its easy.

Thanks
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 15:03   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If posts to the social groups showed up on the "New Posts", then one can use "Thread tools" to subscribe, and once subscribed, the new posts to them should show up if you check the CP threads subscribed. Now, I'll go see if that will work, because I do know that not all threads I respond to show up there, the selection appears haphazard to me.

Ann
Yeah, once subscribed to a group, when you log in and go to "User CP" you'll see all the groups you are subscribed to and any recent activity.
Still pretty quiet in the groups I am in... I wonder what that means?....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 15:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Make Social Groups More Useful

I posted in Nude Sailing once.. and with a picture but the Mod's took it down a couple of days later..
Seems half a dozen members died laughing..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote