Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2017, 19:05   #1

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit
offset or flush mounted jib sheet winches?

One of the pads under my jib-sheet winches has rotted out and the other one is on the way. My dilemma in replacement is that I am not entirely sure why they were built to offset these rather large (for the boat) winches at around 30 degrees.
The winches sit proud of the deck by 60mm at the front and 10mm at the back (180mm diameter bases) with each rotated outwards by about 30 degrees as well. This would seem to match the average angle of the inbound jib-sheet to feed directly onto each winch.
The thing is the boat also has long deck tracks from immediately in front of each winch to well forward of the mast. The rear cars feed the winches direct from deck level, but because the front of the winch drums are around 90mm (60mm pad height plus c 30mm skirt) above deck level the sheets feed upwards at around 45 degrees when using the tracks.
My guess is that the deck tracks were added later, maybe for racing, and since free sheets onto winches, or via the deck cars both work fine, I am thinking to replace the pads exactly the same (but in High density PE this time).
Unfortunately I don't have a picture, and am not near the boat right now, but interested to know if there is something I might be missing about this set-up.
What thoughts if any?
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 20:51   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: offset or flush mounted jib sheet winches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
...I am thinking to replace the pads exactly the same (but in High density PE this time)...
An exceedingly poor idea, as that material will act as a lubricant between the deck and the winch.

Regarding the rest, post photos.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 22:42   #3

Well, thanks - I think.
What would be more helpful would be a suggested alternative, and/or an explanation of why it actually matters when ones winches are locked down tight by 6 substantial bolts through precision drilled pads, deck, and fairly substantial load spreader pads below decks. Oh yeah, and the winches are always loaded from roughly the same direction too - never from the other side, so what exactly is going to make them slide around? Personally, I reckon I could use axle grease instead of Sikaflex to bed them, without noticing any functional difference
Attached (I hope) is a pic, where if you look closely you can see the portside jib-sheet winch whos pad hasn't yet collapsed. The originals are constructed from layered marine ply, polyester dipped I think, and have been there for 43 years by the looks (1974 build).
Old 19-06-2017, 22:45   #4

no pic - trying again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	150235  
Old 19-06-2017, 22:48   #5

hopefully this uploads in the correct orientation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	150236  
Old 19-06-2017, 22:49   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
...Personally, I reckon I could use axle grease instead of Sikaflex to bed them, without noticing any functional difference...
Unsubscribe.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 22:49   #7

Dang nabbit - I give in - turn your head
Old 20-06-2017, 00:51   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Pics showing more details of how the various components are oriented towards one another are what would be of use. As to using UHMWPE for this, it's a plastic with rather poor strength, & compressive properties, along with a low coefficient of friction. And used in this application it would probably crack in a relatively short span of time. Try matweb.com for looking up the physical properties of anything you might care to use. But there are plenty of species of wood, & lots of types of composites which would excell in this application. Teak, Iroko, Ipe, & 101 others. But marine ply, not exterior, works too. Just seal it up well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 01:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

High density plastics are slippery but the winches are held in place by the fasteners. They won't move about despite the plastic base. Don't agree with UNCIVILIZED's opinion that UHMWWPE suffers from compressibility or cracking issues. Have used it in a number of places including the mast step without an issue from cracking, compression or rot. Even teak suffers from rot and cracks easily if the underlying surface is not flat.

The original winch bases were angled to get a fair lead to the winches. If a flat winch position could result in overriding turns, you'll need to reinstall as the old ones were. If the lead to the winches is slightly downward the angled pad may not be necessary. Had a problem with overriding turns on the cabin top main halyard winch. Added a 1" flat teak pad under the winch which cured the overide problem. overrides are serious issues that you don't want to have to deal with. Really a heartbreaker when you have to cut a perfectly good halyard to cure an overide.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:49   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I guess I am missing your point. If your issue is to reorient your winches to use your existing lead tracks or leave them oriented for direct feed the answer seems obvious to me. Using the tracks gives you better tuning options. If the question is to match the reinstalled winch to the OK one or not, I would opt for the slight improvement of using the track on one side, but that's just me. Is it worth it to reorient the good winch? I seriously doubt it.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:53   #11

If you have never had an override, mount the winches at the same angle..
I have a boat built without winches. A previous owner re rigged it a bit. The two winches for the genoa are ok, and the jib stays up and furls.
But the main halyard winch is mounted with a perpendicular feed and is slightly prone to override. Light air, I raise the main without the winch, or winch the last few feet and tension it with the winch. Not a big deal.
When reefing, I really wish the winch was angled a little. Or using the bosuns chair.
If your winches work well, just copy the angles in your choice of material.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, winch