Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2023, 10:05   #1

Boat: Pearson35 sloop rig
Open CPN >NEMA 2000[> W2K-1>WIRE >LAN

Doing a new installation of NEMA 2000
In my boat And I don't want to run a USB cable from below deck to a 12"tablet at the helm. Rather creare a LAN (local area network) using W2k-1 by Actisence for an IP address and wifi. Laptop Will be connected to backbone via Actisence USB adapter. Finally my question. Do I need a software package so that my tablet displays the laptop desktop
Correct terminology RAD, (REMOTE AREA DESKTOP).
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Leo
Lwlotowycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 10:38   #2

Boat: Hunter 336
Re: Open CPN >NEMA 2000[> W2K-1>WIRE >LAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwlotowycz View Post
In my boat And I don't want to run a USB cable from below deck to a 12"tablet at the helm. Rather creare a LAN (local area network) using W2k-1 by Actisence for an IP address and wifi. Laptop Will be connected to backbone via Actisence USB adapter. Finally my question. Do I need a software package so that my tablet displays the laptop desktop
Leo
There are literally hundreds of ways to do what you want to do but it is likely the W2K-1 sends out a NMEA0183 stream over wifi that you can read either directly with your tablet or with your laptop. if you want to read it on the laptop and display the same screen on your tablet VNC is a free program you can use.

if you are technically minded you could set up an ESP32 instead of the W2K-1 to do the same thing and save yourself >$200
SV-Apres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 10:47   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwlotowycz View Post
Leo
You mean NMEA right?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 12:31   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I've argued with the developers over it, but they do not want to support NMEA2000 over Ethernet. I even offered to by them the gateway device and they were not interested. So if you want NMEA2000, you need to run USB wire. Maybe with enough requests they will decide to do support it.

The other option, which is what I do, is that most gateways will convert to NMEA0183, and put that on the wifi. OpenCPN does support NMEA0183 over wifi. There isn't a lot of difference right now, but as time goes on and more NMEA2000 support is built into OpenCPN (or it's plugins), there will be. For example, there is better autopilot control via NMEA2000 than with NMEA0183.
Old 29-07-2023, 10:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36

Not clear to me what you wish to do, exactly.

1. Do you have a PC belowdecks running a navigation program (e.g. OpenCPN) and wish to replicate the PC screen on a tablet (e.g. Android) for control at the helm? In that case VNC as suggested by Sv_apres will work, but the W2K won't provide the WiFi service needed.

2. Or is your reference to "Tablet" and "Laptop" actually the same device and you simply wish to provide a data stream from your N2K instruments to that device at the helm using the Actisense W2K? That will work--the W2K converts your N2K data to NMEA 0183 for use by a nav program on your "tablet".

In either case, how will you supply power to the tablet device at the helm if you don't have some sort of cable (e.g. USB) running to the helm? (Or are your sails short enough that the internal battery will be sufficient )
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open cpn