Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:28   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

I am sure CF will allow you to send a check....
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I moved the thread to forum help and tech support as if there is a possible solution this will get it to the attention of those that might could possibly solve it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:43   #33

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Ok, since I had no idea where to post this, I thought I would try here as it sorta falls under the rubric of "red tape".

I would like to become a supporting member of this site. However, it has only ONE option for payment, apparently, which is Paypal, an app/organisation/annoyance I absolutely detest, which is constantly pushing, every time I (am forced to) use it, to get more involved with my banking or whatever, and which ONLY appears to allow you to just use a freaking card if you are NOT already a "member". (Suggestions of a way around this would be useful!)

Why is CF offering only this option?

Why do so many people hate PayPal? - Quora

(They hate PayPal) probably because they use PayPal for the wrong reasons. I will explain with an example! I NEVER buy something online unless it is payable via PayPal. The reason is very simple. If i encounter to a fraudulent seller, PayPal will give me my money back instantly, no questions asked.
This is the reason that PayPal keeps growing, despite the fact that sellers, and especially not so "correct" sellers hate PayPal, as PayPal apply certain rules to guarantee that it will be able to return my money to me!!!!
I want to underline that I do not work for PayPal and I do not have any kind of relation with this company, besides the fact that I use it for ALL my online purchases.
By the way, I will strongly suggest that everybody will use PayPal for online purchases, which will make fraud more difficult online
thank you
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:44   #34

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I moved the thread to forum help and tech support as if there is a possible solution this will get it to the attention of those that might could possibly solve it
Thanks for that. Didn't know where such an area was.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:46   #35

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
(They hate PayPal) probably because they use PayPal for the wrong reasons. I will explain with an example! I NEVER buy something online unless it is payable via PayPal. The reason is very simple. If i encounter to a fraudulent seller, PayPal will give me my money back instantly, no questions asked.
This is the reason that PayPal keeps growing, despite the fact that sellers, and especially not so "correct" sellers hate PayPal, as PayPal apply certain rules to guarantee that it will be able to return my money to me!!!!
I want to underline that I do not work for PayPal and I do not have any kind of relation with this company, besides the fact that I use it for ALL my online purchases.
By the way, I will strongly suggest that everybody will use PayPal for online purchases, which will make fraud more difficult online
thank you
Thanks for your views. I am afraid I still find their model coercive. Interestingly my bank has compensated me for fraud several times. Not that I like them very much either…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:53   #36

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
thank you
Paypal doesn't do much to prevent fraud as a whole. They simply shift the burden onto sellers and make it very easy for buyers to defraud the sellers, which might not be the best course of action considering that sellers generally have a reputation to protect, while consumers generally do not. Also, if your Paypal account is funded by a credit card they're mostly redundant anyways, as its very easy to file a charge back claim against a seller through your credit card company.

But yes, PayPal and credit cards are great until you realize that we all pay the price for the rampant fraud in the form of higher prices for everyone that the sellers simply pass these costs onto the consumers
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:42   #37

Quote:
Ummm… they try to force you to hand over bank details and give them money on account with no interest. I don't use credit cards, pretty much at all.

As far as your above words about banks, they are entirely beside the point. PP cannot and does not replace the banking system, which we are forced to use in any case. So, to review: sites whereby one may only pay by PP mean one is forced to use PP. If PP has a registered email address for you, PP denies you the opportunity to use your ALREADY EXISTING banking and credit (debit) facilities and attempts to FORCE you to hand over your banking details and use THEIR credit account system.

Ergo, unnecessary and coercive.

Your suggestion, in effect, that I just "suck it up" and comply speaks, well, volumes.

Your ignorance is staggering. Perhaps if you just stopped imagining and actually listened, you'd learn something useful.

I tried to help you, but I'm done wasting my time.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
I'll say it one more time in case anyone missed it on the last page...BITCOIN
Seriously????? OMFG!!

Quote:
An investigation into the disappearance of half a billion dollar's worth of bitcoins from the Tokyo-based exchange MtGox has found that 99% of the funds were stolen by someone within the firm.
Now there's some real security for you!

You're better off with Monopoly money! LOL
Old 03-06-2015, 10:00   #39

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
And you think PP would?

I find it coercive and unnecessary. And I am far from alone…
I am with you.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:01   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Seriously????? OMFG!!

Now there's some real security for you!

You're better off with Monopoly money! LOL
So some people let a third party hold their coins and are surprised when they were taken? Like that's never happened before....totally bitcoins fault . Surely no US Dollars have ever been stolen by questionable entities...wait, ever heard of Bernie Madoff? Now there's security for you! Better ditch your US dollars and go for that monopoly money because no one would bother trying to steal that stuff. =)
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08   #41

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I've used PP for 2 years with no problem . They would like me too link my accounts and i don't . They have the info of one credit card that is not linked to PP simply because if they get hacked my info won't be stolen .
I'm pretty sure the FDIC does not give you money back anymore, only shares to the bankrupt bank you're dealing with and guess whom gets paid first , not you !
If the has not been implemented yet it will be . I'm pretty sure this was thought of by our king ,i'm just not 100% positive of that .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:11   #42

Paypal - now comes with free spam and telemarketing, straight to your mobile phone! PayPal can robocall you with advertising from July | News | Geek.com
Old 03-06-2015, 12:13   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Paypal *requires* a user to allow two-way unlimited access to their checking account. So if youfail to deliver, they can charge back against your account, without your knowledge.

In theory that's a massive security failure waiting to happen, someone will hack PayPal and then place "chargebacks" against a number of accounts and steal money from them. Doesn't take much imagination, the only question is how good PayPal's security remains, versus the hackers. Forever.

Paypal does give users the option to accept credit cards via PayPal--and it charges roughly double (another 3%-ish on top of the base fee) if they do so. So many PayPal users don't offer that option.

Mailing a check of course requires divulging your bank account information, and it requires having an address to mail the check TO. And possible international postage and currency exchange fees?

Or you could buy a prepaid charge card (Amex, Visa, MC) and just mail it in with no return address. That'd be secure and anonymous, if that's the goal.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 13:22   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Paypal *requires* a user to allow two-way unlimited access to their checking account. So if youfail to deliver, they can charge back against your account, without your knowledge.

In theory that's a massive security failure waiting to happen, someone will hack PayPal and then place "chargebacks" against a number of accounts and steal money from them. Doesn't take much imagination, the only question is how good PayPal's security remains, versus the hackers. Forever.

That is not how it works. If you sell something and the buyer sends you money, the money is held in escrow for a period, until it appears the buyer is satisfied. They can't go in an randomly take money from your account. Every withdrawal has been approved in advance by the paypal user.

Sure there is a possibility they can get hacked, but since most of JP Morgan Chase's bank customers' accounts have already been hacked and Paypal has not had a security breach like that, I'm going to state a fact: my Paypal account has never been hacked, my Chase bank acct info was. That may change in the future, but that would be pure supposition, a ridiculous way to make decisions.

Paypal does give users the option to accept credit cards via PayPal--and it charges roughly double (another 3%-ish on top of the base fee) if they do so. So many PayPal users don't offer that option.

Paypal also offers the ability to send and receive large sums of money with NO FEES, a service that no one else offers.

One could also go all over the internet giving out one's CC info to buy merchandise, but Paypal is much safer. But it's a free world, everyone is welcome to become an inspiration or a cautionary tale, that's the entertaining side of the internet.

Mailing a check of course requires divulging your bank account information, and it requires having an address to mail the check TO. And possible international postage and currency exchange fees?

Not to mention it's very easy to steal mail, bleach the check and make it out for a great deal more than original. There were hundreds of thousands of pieces of mail dumped by mail carriers in Chicago, looking specifically for welfare and SS checks. Guess what else they like to target? Brightly colored envelopes, because a lot of them are Birthday cards for grandkids, and they contain a check they can steal. What a wonderful world, eh?

Or you could buy a prepaid charge card (Amex, Visa, MC) and just mail it in with no return address. That'd be secure and anonymous, if that's the goal.
For many people, Paypal is the preferred method of sending and receiving money.
Old 03-06-2015, 13:30   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think even the USPS concedes that paper checks in the mail are stolen more often than epayments are redirected. Heck, those naïve folks at Social Security also want to convert to epayments for the same reasons, not just the cost of printing all those checks.

I don't PayPal is bad, although they've taken a much bigger bite than the original "FREE" plan.

But in their ever-changing world of user agreements, I know that at least at some time in the past, if not now, they had or have a clause that says "We can take!" and pretty much leaves/left the user to go pound sand. I don't see any "escrow", my bank just shows "TAKEN!".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red tape