Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 23:02   #1

Boat: 55' sloop.
Red Tape: CF and Paypal

Ok, since I had no idea where to post this, I thought I would try here as it sorta falls under the rubric of "red tape".

I would like to become a supporting member of this site. However, it has only ONE option for payment, apparently, which is Paypal, an app/organisation/annoyance I absolutely detest, which is constantly pushing, every time I (am forced to) use it, to get more involved with my banking or whatever, and which ONLY appears to allow you to just use a freaking card if you are NOT already a "member". (Suggestions of a way around this would be useful!)

Why is CF offering only this option?

Why do so many people hate PayPal? - Quora
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 23:30   #2

Re: Red Tape: CF and Paypal

I don't see what the problem is with paypal. I send and receive quite a bit via paypal, never had a problem.

You're creating your own problem by making a mountain out of a molehill. Simply create an account, link it to your checking account, and send money to friends or Ebay sellers or get money from anyone. Instant payment, what's not to like?

Worried about someone stealing your money? Paypal has better security than your bank does. In the 15 yrs I've been with Paypal, I've never once had my account hacked or any security breach.

In those same 15 yrs, my Amex card # has been stolen twice and replaced twice, holds have been placed on it at least 5 times because I traveled, my Visa card was compromised twice and replaced and my bank info was stolen from Chase.

Paypal has a MUCH better track record, especially since banks NEVER reveal when they get hacked and millions get stolen.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 23:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I don't see what the problem is with paypal. I send and receive quite a bit via paypal, never had a problem.

You're creating your own problem by making a mountain out of a molehill. Simply create an account, link it to your checking account, and send money to friends or Ebay sellers or get money from anyone. Instant payment, what's not to like?

Worried about someone stealing your money? Paypal has better security than your bank does. In the 15 yrs I've been with Paypal, I've never once had my account hacked or any security breach.

In those same 15 yrs, my Amex card # has been stolen twice and replaced twice, holds have been placed on it at least 5 times because I traveled, my Visa card was compromised twice and replaced and my bank info was stolen from Chase.

Paypal has a MUCH better track record, especially since banks NEVER reveal when they get hacked and millions get stolen.
And you think PP would?

I find it coercive and unnecessary. And I am far from alone…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 02-06-2015, 23:50   #4

I've never had a penny stolen from my account. I probably average 15 transactions per month. Not as many as a business, but I think that's quite a bit for a private party.

You can do as you please, but it seems to me that you're complaining or worrying about something that hasn't happened to you. There are sharks in the water! People have died! Better stay on the couch!

Your chances of getting bitten by a shark are much higher than losing any money via paypal. Yes, if you get into a dispute with an Ebay buyer or seller, they are going to hold the money until they figure it out, but the few times it has happened to me, they got it straightened out in a couple of weeks and they always made the right decision based on the evidence.
Old 02-06-2015, 23:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
And you think PP would?

I find it coercive and unnecessary. And I am far from alone…
What is so coercive?

Think of it like a credit card, except you get to accept money, too. They even allow you to send and receive money with no fees collected, try that with any credit card.
Old 03-06-2015, 00:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
What is so coercive?

Think of it like a credit card, except you get to accept money, too. They even allow you to send and receive money with no fees collected, try that with any credit card.
Ummm… they try to force you to hand over bank details and give them money on account with no interest. I don't use credit cards, pretty much at all.

As far as your above words about banks, they are entirely beside the point. PP cannot and does not replace the banking system, which we are forced to use in any case. So, to review: sites whereby one may only pay by PP mean one is forced to use PP. If PP has a registered email address for you, PP denies you the opportunity to use your ALREADY EXISTING banking and credit (debit) facilities and attempts to FORCE you to hand over your banking details and use THEIR credit account system.

Ergo, unnecessary and coercive.

Your suggestion, in effect, that I just "suck it up" and comply speaks, well, volumes.
Old 03-06-2015, 00:19   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Ummm… they try to force you to hand over bank details and give them money on account with no interest. I don't use credit cards, pretty much at all.
I use PayPal quite frequently for online purchases and payment of a couple of monthly bills. They don't have my bank details and I don't recall them ever asking for them. And I've certainly never been asked to give them money on account.

All they have are the details of a single Mastercard Debit Card tied to a bank account which I keep a minimal balance in (they don't know anything about that bank account). I just top it up when I want to make payments with the card.

I've had one instance of not receiving goods which I ordered and paid for with PP - they were very prompt in following up and reversing the charge on the debit card.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07   #8

Meanwhile, a survey conducted on one of the most prolific sites on the internet turned up a list of "The Internet's 9 Most Hated Companies". Guess who came in at number one?

The Internet’s 9 Most Hated Companies - The Daily Beast
Old 03-06-2015, 02:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I use PayPal quite frequently for online purchases and payment of a couple of monthly bills. They don't have my bank details and I don't recall them ever asking for them. And I've certainly never been asked to give them money on account.

All they have are the details of a single Mastercard Debit Card tied to a bank account which I keep a minimal balance in (they don't know anything about that bank account). I just top it up when I want to make payments with the card.

I've had one instance of not receiving goods which I ordered and paid for with PP - they were very prompt in following up and reversing the charge on the debit card.
Glad you have had a good experience. As you can see I dislike the whole busines intensely. In any case, you're in PM? Ever get diving around there?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:25   #10

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Paypal seems a much safer medium to use than supplying your credit card details. I've used it for years for hundreds of transactions. Never had a problem. I prefer to use it for everything that will take paypal because it gives a great guarantee. Over the years I have about six times put a complaint in to paypal about a transaction, usually on eBay, and each time they have refunded my payment.

In any case, this is not the right forum for a dispute about the pro's and cons of PayPal. Does CF permit credit card payment? I'd never use it, but if you don't trust PayPal, then by all means try your credit card. If your not willing to use your credit card what sort of payment would you be happy about?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:14   #11

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I will side with the OP on this and say that those who like Paypal have not been caught out as sellers. In any dispute they will side with the buyer regardless of evidence presented (other than proof of shipping with tracking). My partner sells a few things on eBay, just a bit more than a hobby. All a buyer has to do is say they are not satisfied and Paypal will just refuse to release your funds.

One item was a perfectly working tablet. Buyer claims it's broken so Paypal immediatley witholds the sellers funds and tells the buyer to return it ... they even have a promotion that pays for return shipping. The tablet came back broken ... roughly jemmied open and parts apparently swapped. Paypal don't want to know. Many such complaints on forums.

The more monopolisitic they get, the worse they become. Reluctantly I use them but prefer to pay by card when I can. I would love another big player to join the market and give them some competition. Topping the list of most hated companies doesn't happen by accident.

By using them you are supporting their monopoly.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:35   #12

What has this got to do with sailing, cruising?
Old 03-06-2015, 05:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Paypal seems a much safer medium to use than supplying your credit card details. I've used it for years for hundreds of transactions. Never had a problem. I prefer to use it for everything that will take paypal because it gives a great guarantee. Over the years I have about six times put a complaint in to paypal about a transaction, usually on eBay, and each time they have refunded my payment.

In any case, this is not the right forum for a dispute about the pro's and cons of PayPal. Does CF permit credit card payment? I'd never use it, but if you don't trust PayPal, then by all means try your credit card. If your not willing to use your credit card what sort of payment would you be happy about?
You obviously didn't read the original post. It has to do with CF because it appears to be the ONLY means of payment to CF to become a "supporter".
Old 03-06-2015, 05:15   #14

Boat: Aloha 34

CF needs to get rid of the middle man and get in on that Bitcoin action!
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:29   #15

Quote:
You obviously didn't read the original post. It has to do with CF because it appears to be the ONLY means of payment to CF to become a "supporter".
Yes, I did read your original post. Just by the time I read the others I'd forgotten you had advised you can't use a credit card.

Tags
red tape