Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 15:54   #31

Coot beat me to it! Glad to see I'm not the only one bothered by that statment.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 16:01   #32

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING, this has nothing to do with copyright infringements.

To start, I do hope you are not regarding Rhonda's post as "filth and spam" I can now see how easily posts can be misconstrued.
There is nothing filthy or spam related with her post, or her as a person.
Dang this is truly terrible; am not going to lighten up on demanding to here a finale decision on this matter. It appears to me that all I see or hear from several moderators are excuses that can easily be pulled apart. How was her post harmful in any manner, how was her post out of place? None of this makes any sense to me, the only thing that makes sense is that I made a mistake referring her to the site. I may be straight, but I do know what it feels like to be the subject of discrimination.
I have sent an email to Rhonda voicing my support for her in this matter.
I truly suggest that some of the moderators get their act together, if you are attempting to take a stand against subject matter that is not directed towards sailing, then I suggest you remove ALL posts from the forum that are not 100% about boating immediately.
The excuses are hollow at this time and nothing more followed by speculation.
Somebody please tell me if all this is about is one or two people who are not able to deal with people who live alternative life style, as this excuse of "nothing to do with sailing" or "posted in the wrong area" do not sit well with me.
Please let me know if I have joined an Internet group that discriminates against sexuality, race, religion, or free thought.

Too much time has passed, I have not the finesse of other writers on this board especially when it comes to people I know personally.

It is time for a clear statement made by the administrator as it is clear to see the moderators are split on this post.
This is truly sad to watch unravel.
Christopher
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 16:20   #33

I MOST CERTAINLY AM NOT KIDDING.

I don't think the post in question was spam or filth. I don't think the post was even that off-topic (Heck, I even opined that it was more properly placed in the "Destinations" category).

But I do think it is very likely an infringement unless some exception applies (again, I'm not an IP lawyer so I would have to call a law school friend for her opinion) and I would have pulled it until I was damn sure I wasn't opening up the board's owner(s) to a suit. But I'm not a mod, and nobody asked my opinion, professional or otherwise, so my opinion doesn't count. And, frankly, yours doesn't either. Unless you're willing to cover the site's owners' share of any judgment and costs of defense. I'm not. So, I'll live with whatever decision the mods/board owner(s) make.

Perhaps you feel strongly towards the poster or about the subject, but those are no reason, in my opinon, to discount rational legal concerns of others.

Feel free to shout about your issues. Just don't discount when others are concerned about other issues. And if you can't see that... well, then I've just learned something about you and have decided how much credibility I will give to you when I hear you shouting about your issues....
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 16:25   #34
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchris0411
To start, I do hope you are not regarding Rhonda's post as "filth and spam" I can now see how easily posts can be misconstrued.
There is nothing filthy or spam related with her post, or her as a person.
Christopher

I never said her post was "Filth or Spam" nor did I infer she was either. I'm on her side and trying to get a fair reassessment of the decision to remove the post. Your post has just swayed my support away from her post. I hope you're pleased with yourself.

I suggest you constrain your assessments of what others are trying to convey to improve this situation because you're only serving to add fuel to an already out of control fire. Misquote me once more and I'll personally ban you. Got it?

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 16:32   #35
Kai Nui

Chris, first let me address your most troubling concern. We at Cruisers Forum ARE NOT predjudice in ANY way towards race, creed, sexual orientation, financial status, age, or any other possible distinction that might identify one person as different from another. The reason for pulling this post is absolutely in regards to the relevance of it's contents to this board. We do not take deleting posts lightly. We do not base the value of a post on a personal evaluation of the person posting it. We are all volunteers here, whose only reason for the commitment we have, and the efforts we put in, is the betterment of the forum.
Spike, I really would like to see you continue to participate. I understand your reluctance. However. While those who have posted on this subject seem very passionate about it's inclusion in this forum, you make up a very small minority of the over all population of the forum. As such, it is our responsibility as Admins/Mods to consider the concerns of the membership as a whole. This decision is taking some time, but the post is not sitting idley waiting to be addressed. There is extensive discussion between the moderators currently in process on the issue.
Charlie, just to address your perception of the mod team, most of us did not know each other prior to joining this board, and have never met each other. We were selected from the membership of this board specifically because we were involved, and had a strong desire to participate in keeping this the best forum around. I assure you this forum is not being run by a clique, and there is not profit to any of the Admins or Mods aside from the pride we take in our contributions to the board.
Chris, I hope this is the clear statement you were looking for. THe decision is not made yet, but you can be assured that as soon as it is, there will be a clear explanation as to what and why.
Old 02-12-2006, 16:34   #36
cruiser

Quote:
1)I truly suggest that some of the moderators get their act together, if you are attempting to take a stand against subject matter that is not directed towards sailing, then I suggest you remove ALL posts from the forum that are not 100% about boating immediately.

2)Somebody please tell me if all this is about is one or two people who are not able to deal with people who live alternative life style, as this excuse of "nothing to do with sailing" or "posted in the wrong area" do not sit well with me.

3)Please let me know if I have joined an Internet group that discriminates against sexuality, race, religion, or free thought.

4)Too much time has passed, I have not the finesse of other writers on this board especially when it comes to people I know personally.

5)It is time for a clear statement made by the administrator as it is clear to see the moderators are split on this post.
This is truly sad to watch unravel.
Christopher
Christopher - easy... We're working on it. Let me address your concerns one by one:

1)Discussing the possibility of taking off more posts that aren't related to sailing vs putting this post back up is *exactly* what takes a long time between several people who are not sitting in the same room.

2)I can assure you it's not. We are legitimately discussing the idea in #1 and its application to the board.

3)Yes! We discriminate against young guys buying boats. (just kidding around, of course) I enjoyed your other post about that, and felt for your situation. Remember, I'm younger than you. Of course we don't discriminate. Well... maybe against boats...

4)The moderators are VOLUNTEERS here who have day jobs. You cannot put a time restriction on volunteers. To put it in your world, would you demand that Habitat for Humanity has a house done TODAY for the less fortunate? I surely hope not.

5)Again, a demand for action "now." This is a tall order for a group of people who are thousands of miles apart, have jobs and keep this board up so you can benefit from the knowledge contained here.

I think you're a great guy... but you should ease up on us. We are not paid professional moderators. We are working on this, discussing it and getting close. You need to exercise some patience, as our decision impacts the future of the board. It's not a decsion that will be rushed.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 16:34   #37

Thank you for the response.
Christopher
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 17:53   #38
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I've been sailing all day and am just catching up with this thread now. I see the concensus is to disallow the post as to the lack of relevancy to sailing. So, I just took a quick look in the Off Topic area. It was the first time I've been in that area, on purpose, and spent 15 minutes or so looking at various threads posted in the last month. Lo and behold, every thread I read was connected to sailing, boats or the water, abet, some more closely than others.. There were also several posts that had been removed.

The deleted thread is a story that needs telling, but in an appropriate forum (pun not intended). I would have to say that the moderators here are consistant and are even handed.

Rick onboard Catalpa
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 18:10   #39
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
I've been sailing all day and am just catching up with this thread now. I see the concensus is to disallow the post as to the lack of relevancy to sailing.
It's not a done deal that its dead just yet. We're still working on it. The bigger question being dealt with is how do we, admins & mods, deal with similar posts in the future. We're working on a strategy that in all hopes will be fair to all and ensure we work as a team when tough decisions have to be made.

Quote:
So, I just took a quick look in the Off Topic area. It was the first time I've been in that area, on purpose, and spent 15 minutes or so looking at various threads posted in the last month. Lo and behold, every thread I read was connected to sailing, boats or the water, abet, some more closely than others..
I guess there's "Off Topic" then there's "Way Off Topic" Just exactly how far off topic can be tolerated is the question. Sometimes it's a day to day thing where it's ok one day and not the next. We're all human.

Quote:
The deleted thread is a story that needs telling, but in an appropriate forum (pun not intended). I would have to say that the moderators here are consistant and are even handed.
I think it needs to be put into context as to how it relates to cruisers and cruising life. It was without a doubt a callous and cruel thing to have happened to anybody and we all feel for the pain and suffering this otherwise vibrant individual suffered at the hands of others. We're all subjected to injustices like this, either first hand, or by proxy all the time. Watch a little prime time news and you'll see what I'm talking about.

First and foremost the Admins & Mods are here to help. If someone doesn't know under which topic a post should go they can always ask one of us first.

Thanks Rick onboard Catalpa

Rick Up in the Great White North
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 22:33   #40

Quote:
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING, this has nothing to do with copyright infringements.
Come on, at least READ the comments by the moderators. This one is on the first page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
If you copy and paste into forum messages copyrighted material you can be sure it will be removed - no matter what it says about or not about cruising. This issue while not properly stated here on this thread was a serious factor in the pulling of the posting.
Is Paul's question about copyright (including the acknowledgement that other moderators failed to mention it) totally inappropriate? Is it possible there is something to his concerns?
Old 03-12-2006, 00:34   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Wire service releases are proprietary (property), and cannot be copied, plagiarized, pirated or bootlegged (copyright infringement). All rights are reserved.

CruisersForum does not permit plagiarism, nor copyright infringement. Sources may be quoted (short passages), and attributed*.
* A link to the original article is generally a good attribution.

From the Associated Press (AP) Terms & Conditions:
http://www.ap.org/pages/about/terms.html

"...4. All material ("Materials") displayed or transmitted on this site, including but not limited to text, photographs, images, illustrations, video clips, audio clips, and graphics are owned by AP or its members, and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademarks, service marks, and other proprietary rights, laws and treaties.”
5. Except as provided in this agreement, you may not copy, reproduce, publish, transmit, transfer, sell, rent, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, repost, perform, display, or in any way commercially exploit the Materials carried on this site, nor may you infringe upon any of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights contained in the Materials. You may not remove or alter, nor cause to be removed or altered, any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices or visual marks and logos from the Materials ..."

Underlines mine, for emphasis.

”10 Big Myths about copyright explained” ~ by Brad Templeton
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

HTH,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote