Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2018, 11:20   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: 'REPLIES" SERVER HAS THE FLU?

Oh, and the reply editor, probably not coincidentally, has been making odd highlights of the entire reply, or, flashing blocks on parts of the reply (yeah, not so good a description) recently as well. Possibly somehow related. Using the classic skin, not the new one, and irregardless of the HTML editing mode chosen.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:32   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just as a further data point, I’ve not seen any of these issues. I’m accessing from Pacific Time, Mac, Classic skin.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:59   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Also working fine in England, but the link HS posted doesn't work and returns a can't find report by my ISP.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:14   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

GI-
'Actually, looking at the URL that is embedded in the link you gave, there's something a tiny bit sinister/odd going on.
The URL in the link is actually "http://www.cruisersforum.xn--coms-x96a/". "

Ah, no, the link I posted IS NOT what you posted. I posted the main URL for the forum, what you posted has got nothing to do with my computer. So if it is a malware or resolution issue, that's coming from your (ISP? browser?) when *you* try to reach the forum and it can't be found.

I watch URLs when things redirect, and the URL you posted has never been here. I also run my browsers set with the security on "Rather Paranoid" with routine malware scans from multiple products to back them up. Can't say the gremlins won't get past me--but this is a problem related to just this one forum, and what you've found, isn't to be found here.

Mike-
Probably the internet wiring on your side is drier, cleaner, newer, so there are no connectivity issues.(G)
Or because its a Mac...you're using Safari and it just does some things differently?

It should only be that easy. Which wouldn't explain why other users have had similar issues.
Old 03-11-2018, 13:11   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
GI -
Ah, no, the link I posted IS NOT what you posted. I posted the main URL for the forum, what you posted has got nothing to do with my computer.
Whilst your written text may end in "com's" your link resolves to "x96a" though why I don't know. Have a look.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 14:45   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...Mike-
Probably the internet wiring on your side is drier, cleaner, newer, so there are no connectivity issues.(G)
Or because its a Mac...you're using Safari and it just does some things differently?

It should only be that easy. Which wouldn't explain why other users have had similar issues.
Doesn't seem to be a browser issue. I'm now using Firefox. No issues that I've noticed.

I agree, there does seem to be an issue. But since not everyone is experiencing the problems, it suggests it's not as simple as the CF server having a problem.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:36   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Can those of you with problems post up info about the browser and version you are using so we can try to trouble shoot?

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:46   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
I keep trying to tell my parole officer that a five pound maul is the only appropriate tool for computer service, and she keeps trying to tell me that maybe I should look for other kinds of work. Which would be like ignoring the roaches, instead of stomping them, wouldn't it be?
Absolutely hilarious.
I also suffered from gremlins a few days ago when replying to just one thread but it's fixed now.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I see it now.
I posted www.cruisersforum.com followed by an apostrophe s.
The HTML editor in vbulletin changed that and made the apostrophe s into a part of the URL--an URL which it automatically generated. Like the hyperlink in this message, it has similarly been generated by the vbulletin software, I'm not coding anything as a hyperlink. I'm typing in plain text.
Old 05-11-2018, 14:45   #25

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Whilst your written text may end in "com's" your link resolves to "x96a" though why I don't know. Have a look.

Pete
Quote:
I see it now.
I posted www.cruisersforum.com followed by an apostrophe s.
The HTML editor in vbulletin changed that and made the apostrophe s into a part of the URL--an URL which it automatically generated. Like the hyperlink in this message, it has similarly been generated by the vbulletin software, I'm not coding anything as a hyperlink. I'm typing in plain text.
Ah yes, I see it now.

Looking at the actual page source HTML it is as HelloSailor says, no reference to the x96a.

Must be something client side to do with the apostrophe.

I've never seen that one before. So glad I don't work in IT any more, I really don't miss that sort of stuff.
Old 05-11-2018, 18:41   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, guys, I've had the same problem. I've send a message to the help desk, and maybe some clarity will result. I've no idea how long it will take. Sorry for the frustration.

Ann
Old 06-11-2018, 15:39   #27

I had problems intermittently from August until a week ago. Amazon tablet, new user to the tablet world. I had some connection issues and drops while typing thread replies. Sucked to type a response only to not have it upload. I have good wifi service so the issue was not with my provider imo. Not a techy person so have only those comments to add.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:33   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

It looks like most of the issues seem to be related to chrome. For those of you having trouble - can you try either:

Updating chrome to the latest version or try another browser and see if that resolves the problem?

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:22   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Janet, I'm using Google Chrome, too. Really not too keen on installing another browser, though. My Chrome, and Jim's update themselves. However, he has not had the problem. He's using windows 8.1; I'm using windows 10.

This problem showed up after the software changes.

Ann
Old 30-11-2018, 13:58   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Perhaps this forum is the repeated victim of a massive DoS attack?
Because it happens again today.
"C:\>tracert http://www.cruisersforum.com
Unable to resolve target system name http://www.cruisersforum.com."

Some pages are slow to load, and a reply couldn't post, getting "This site can't be reached" from Win10. But simple testing showed the forum name itself could not be resolved, so there's apparently a repeating DNS issue with the forum systems. Might be worth asking your hosting service wtf is going on.

In contrast, I was able to reach and resolve aol.com in about 20 milliseconds, so OTHER domain names were and are being resolved with no problem. No problem earlier today, no problem at all with any other forum. No problem getting news about the Anchorage quake. CF is either being blacklisted or failing for other reasons. Repeatedly.

And now let's see if this can even post....Nope, not quite. Eventually?

I've just manually shifted to the OpenDNS server at 8.8.8.8 in case it was a DNS problem. This one appears to find your main server at 104.somethingorother...but still can't post a message. So it isn't a DNS server issue, it is a hosting issue.