Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:26   #1

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
Sailboat anchor light

It's been common assumptions that a sailboat must have a 360 degree all around light on between dusk and dawn mounted at the highest point on the mast. This seems to be legally inaccurate based on the USCG NAVIGATION RULES , part 30. My understanding is that 360 degree white lighting may be mounted "where it can be seen " either at the stern or the bow area ". I was recently challenged by a sheriff in Jacksonville FL and told that my light must be at the top of the mast.

Any response?
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:35   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Sailboat anchor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
It's been common assumptions that a sailboat must have a 360 degree all around light on between dusk and dawn mounted at the highest point on the mast. This seems to be legally inaccurate based on the USCG NAVIGATION RULES , part 30. My understanding is that 360 degree white lighting may be mounted "where it can be seen " either at the stern or the bow area ". I was recently challenged by a sheriff in Jacksonville FL and told that my light must be at the top of the mast.

Any response?

Google COLREGS

Yes, "where it can best be seen," which is apparently open to some interpretation. Some think the top of the mast is best, some think closer to the water is better. I suspect the word "best" is what he is hanging his hat on. Or he just thinks that is where they go.

In Appendix 1 further clarifies that it cannot be blocked for more than 6 degrees of the arc. It also says that anchor lights need not be placed at an impractical height above the deck (Annex 1, 9bi).
Old Today, 13:41   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a lantern attached to the end of my boom as anchor light.

It's so bright it lights up the whole back section of the boat and is also visible for 360 degrees.

Whereas with a masthead light, all you see is this tiny light in the air.

I was anchored recently and I knew there was a boat in a certain area, but it was hard to determine that with this tiny masthead light.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:18   #4

It is always possible (not likely, just possible) that Florida has a state rule about anchor lights.

More likely is the deputy involved has never actually read the technical chapters of the ColRegs. There is no requirement that an anchor light be at the top of a mast.

There are even specifications for how to comply using multiple lights.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, boat, sail, sailboat