Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 18:32   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Screwing the pooch....

Try Tapatalk folks.. works 100%. Or, on iPad, just use Safari.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 19:54   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Tapatalk does not work on an iPad. The CF app for iOS (iPad operating system) is poorly executed. With so many issues, it appears to be a beta version that was rushed to go-live status before it was ready. Would suggest that any moderator wishing to add value takes a step back to consider 100% of negative iOS user feedback and write future posts that add valuable insights vs. placations.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 20:00   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Tapatalk does not work on an iPad.
you're kidding, right? Using it daily on my iPad2.
Old 02-02-2014, 20:05   #34

Screwing the pooch....

No joke. Tapatalk does not make up for lost functionality. Yes, it works after a fashion, but with no features enabled, I deleted it four minutes after loading and reverted back to using the fractured CF app plus the website. I believe you suggested as much as your post recommended that iPad users use the website if they want full functionality.
Old 02-02-2014, 20:10   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No joke. Tapatalk does not make up for lost functionality.
Well, no joke maybe, but simply wrong information then. Tapatalk works very well on iPad and for using CF, incl. the search function.

The CF app has always been a PITA, far inferior to web access. At least now we have the Tapatalk API, which gives an alternative. There will never be a CF app that outperforms Tapatalk, which has millions of users and much, much more development than anything CF can finance.
Old 02-02-2014, 20:15   #36

Based on your dedication to the idea, I will give it longer look. Thx.
Old 02-02-2014, 20:28   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Based on your dedication to the idea, I will give it longer look. Thx.
I think the version I use is called "Tapatalk HD" so check for different versions. I once paid for it but understand it is free now.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:28   #38
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

I think it is fairly normal for people to resist change and the new app is a different interface however I don't seem to have the same issues outlined by many of you.

I am using an Ipad2 and have no login issues, my participated menu item shows all the threads, I use the timeline view to see new threads and posts, and subscribed works well.

I had some issues with some menu items not showing up and repeated crashes - I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it works very well now.

Now that I am used to it I like this app much better than the last one. It will never have the capacity of the web interface, but apps are rarely ever designed to have the same capacity of a web interface - different format, different purpose.

Neither this app nor the last one are developed by CF - none of the sailing forums, or any forum that I am aware of, uses custom in house developed and supported software. Where would they get the funds and staffing? Much better to use existing software that had a huge user base and development team.

We will submit any info that is detailed out about user issues to the development team - but we have no control over what they do with it.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:58   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Try Tapatalk folks.. works 100%. Or, on iPad, just use Safari.

The new app is a rebranded Tapatalk.

There have been, and will be, a lot of growing pains with this one. We don't control day to day development of this. We can, and do, push but we have to stand in line like everyone else that has paid to have this work done.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The new app is a rebranded Tapatalk.

There have been, and will be, a lot of growing pains with this one. We don't control day to day development of this. We can, and do, push but we have to stand in line like everyone else that has paid to have this work done.
The re-branding is part of the problem; the mainstream Tapatalk gets updates very frequently (I noticed a new icon even today) and those fixes do not make it into the snapshots that rebranded versions are.

I just posted about Tapatalk so that members who have trouble with the rebranded app know they have an alternative that seems to work better. It's not 100% either, see the "missing pictures" thread.

I believe some of the trouble concerns the Tapatalk API or the configuration of that and of the forum software. I believe that because other forums do not have these problems with pictures when using their Tapatalk interface.
It's strange when the search mode doesn't work in the rebranded app while it works in the regular TT app; maybe some "special" functions were tried to be added to the rebranded app?
Old 03-02-2014, 18:34   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
I think it is fairly normal for people to resist change and the new app is a different interface however I don't seem to have the same issues outlined by many of you.

I am using an Ipad2 and have no login issues, my participated menu item shows all the threads, I use the timeline view to see new threads and posts, and subscribed works well.

I had some issues with some menu items not showing up and repeated crashes - I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it works very well now.

Now that I am used to it I like this app much better than the last one. It will never have the capacity of the web interface, but apps are rarely ever designed to have the same capacity of a web interface - different format, different purpose.

Neither this app nor the last one are developed by CF - none of the sailing forums, or any forum that I am aware of, uses custom in house developed and supported software. Where would they get the funds and staffing? Much better to use existing software that had a huge user base and development team.

We will submit any info that is detailed out about user issues to the development team - but we have no control over what they do with it.
FS at this point I truly feel I have embarked on either a Quixotic quest or a trip to the windward rail....

The app does not work on all IOS devices. I have provided proof (see post 18). Perhaps instead of making grand proclamations, one should reach out to those who demonstrated the deficiencies over a month ago.

FWIW I find both the apps mentioned in this thread marginal and simply use the web page.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 19:53   #42

Boat: Owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Perhaps instead of making grand proclamations, one should reach out to those who demonstrated the deficiencies over a month ago.

Amen! There are two threads active pointing out screenshots of the issues. It has taken over a month for a mod to acknowledge any of us or our problems exist.

The only offer of "help" has come from a fellow member that recommends accessing the CF App from another parties App? Well intentioned as it may be I've never experienced this level of difficulty getting an App to work. With all due respect, we're not morons we want the flipping CF App to work as designed.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing