Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 15:43   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It was explained to me along the lines of "reduce the MTU so that there are more packets available for the certicates and tokens to be transmitted".
From the Wiki:

"In Windows 95, the default MTU was 1500 octets (eight-bit bytes), partly because this is the Ethernet standard MTU. The Internet de facto standard MTU is 576, but ISPs often suggest using 1500....
For more recent Windows systems, the operating system is able to sense whether your connection should use 1500 or 576 and select the appropriate MTU for the connection."

I'd never heard the internet standard was so low! And I'd be surprised if Apple forgot to build an OS that could accomodate this the way MS does. I suspect someone, somewhere, is simply exceeding a norm, and by kneecapping your system (in a small way) you're allowing their mistake to be handled.
That's the kind of stuff "users" shouldn't have to be bothered with, cleaning up programmers' mistakes. Like that day will ever come, huh?<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:06   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That's the kind of stuff "users" shouldn't have to be bothered with, cleaning up programmers' mistakes. Like that day will ever come, huh?<G>
Hear hear. I guess the upside is that I am learning something new and that can't be a bad thing although is is not exactly what I wanted to learn this week .

I am reading more about MTU's but so far I am not really understanding much of it - well I will push on and maybe the penny will drop. Thanks for your input.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote