Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 09:10   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Seeing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
More accurately stated if you see when the member joined and how many times they have post during that time and how log their posts are, can really give an indication of too much time on their hands.
I remember selling one of my past boats...seemed every tire kicker that came by to look at it had a 3 hour life story to tell. I now know why brokers can be so insensitive.

I see you have made about 6,000 posts in the last 7 years since you joined, so you have been busy posting here too!

I want to thank you (and the others too) who do post frequently here on this forum.

I have read many of your posts (from all of y'all) as I was going back into the forum threads from several years back. I was looking for answers to some questions I had on buying my first big boat. I also enjoyed reading the details of what others experienced with their boats.

As an example, I value your contributions and insights about metal boats, since you have experience owning them.

And I have read with interest numerous other threads where you posted your opinion, which I often found interesting and helpful.

If we are ever in the same port together, I will buy you a beer in appreciation! Till then, I just offer my thanks!

Happy New Year!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 09:45   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I seem to hear a hissing sound of heads inflating
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:37   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

As I hope to buy my first big boat in 2015, I have spent many hours here in the last 6 months reading as much as I could to glean some of the wisdom from you folks.
If you intend to purchase this year (well damned close) you must have narrowed the field substantially. Care to share your short list?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:20   #19

Quote:

I see you have made about 6,000 posts in the last 7 years since you joined, so you have been busy posting here too!

I want to thank you (and the others too) who do post frequently here on this forum.

I have read many of your posts (from all of y'all) as I was going back into the forum threads from several years back. I was looking for answers to some questions I had on buying my first big boat. I also enjoyed reading the details of what others experienced with their boats.

As an example, I value your contributions and insights about metal boats, since you have experience owning them.

And I have read with interest numerous other threads where you posted your opinion, which I often found interesting and helpful.

If we are ever in the same port together, I will buy you a beer in appreciation! Till then, I just offer my thanks!

Happy New Year!
A more accurate method is to estimate the posts per day based on the post number. You'll see what I mean.
Next is the information that has been posted. All of us have receive knowledge from articles on the internet and has helped us evaluate what we are interested in purchasing or building...while others simply parrot what is readily available.
My best experience is having a boat, trying new things and relaying my findings. I and most people have learned here to stay away from speculation from a person that has not tried and proved based on actual experience. I cringe when I think of someone wanting a boat and receiving opinions rather than facts. That said, buyer beware.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 28-12-2014, 13:37   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
If you intend to purchase this year (well damned close) you must have narrowed the field substantially. Care to share your short list?
Hi Jim.

Short answer to a good question: I am planning to move from North Central Texas to a coastal city sometime in 2015. At this time, I do not know which coast or where it will be (Florida? California? Seattle? New York? Chicago? London?). That has to come first.

Because those areas all have different types of sailing conditions (e.g. predominantly high or low winds, proximity to tropics, cold water, etc.) I am looking at different types of boats and in different markets. When I make the move, it will narrow my scope considerably, as I will give priority to what is available in that local market and what I would feel is best suited to my needs in that area.

Put another way, the boats that would satisfy me in South Florida, would not be my first choice in Seattle, and vice versa. Not much desire for a boat with a deep draft, big diesel stove, and diesel heater in Miami.

At this point, I am enjoying the fun of looking at the possibilities, and educating myself on boat brands and models I did not know. When the decision time hits later (due to new location), I will try to make the best choice based on what is available and what I can afford at that time.

Looking at so many very different boats does lead me to wish I had more time (to sail), more money, and then more boats!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 20:11   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

When Celestialsailor hits 6000 the board is probably going to crash and they'll have to add another star to bring it back up again. Until the next star event that is.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 06:23   #22

Check out GordMay. He has mega posts. His posts are always welcoming to people new to the forum and is a wealth of information. The man is truly inspiring.
Old 31-12-2014, 06:31   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Check out GordMay. He has mega posts. His posts are always welcoming to people new to the forum and is a wealth of information. The man is truly inspiring.
And has impeccable manners!

(plus some dang funny risque posts)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 07:21   #24

Quote:

You'll probably be up at the 6,000 mark within a year or two. Just like you probably did over at FM
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:17   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The stars get "yellowed" as you add to your contributions:
1 Yellow Star = 10 posts
2 Yellow Stars = 50 posts
3 Yellow Stars = 100 posts
4 Yellow Stars = 250 posts
5 Yellow Stars = 1000 posts

Thanks for the very kind words, Celestialsailor & HappyMdSailor.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:04   #26

When can we cash them in and how much boat gear will they purchase?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:40   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The stars get "yellowed" as you add to your contributions:
1 Yellow Star = 10 posts
2 Yellow Stars = 50 posts
3 Yellow Stars = 100 posts
4 Yellow Stars = 250 posts
5 Yellow Stars = 1000 posts

Thanks for the very kind words, Celestialsailor & HappyMdSailor.
You bet friend... This place wouldn't be half as informed, nor as funny without ya... Happy New Year!

Quote:
When can we cash them in and how much boat gear will they purchase?
I'm pretty sure HopCar gives a straight across credit

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote