Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 15:44   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Separate forum category for Budgeting please

Hi Folks and especially Mods,

I would love to see a separate forum category for the perennial subject of cruising budgets.

Its one of the most often asked questions and its essential guessing before anyone goes cruising. We sit at computers playing with our desktop calculators… If I don’t break the mast in 2013 I can eat meat for a week….

There is a wealth of information on budgets on Cruisersfroum.com but its all splattered across all the categories. I suggest it be in The Life Aquatic Aboard a Boat

And look at it this way: Don’t we all want to know how much a pampered month in Thailand is compared to Le Haul Out in Le Harve? The cost of living in a year of Med cruising as against Caribbean and the Pacific?
And most importantly don’t we like to gloat about our higher per month disposable cash than some, and stew with envy at those permanently moored in fancy restaurants?

I would really appreciate having all these threads together

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 16:37   #2

A Great Idea

As someone who is planning to take up the cruising lifestyle in retirement (2010) I am forever after information on how others who are 'doing it now'.

On the understanding that each person will approach the financing of their lifestyle in a way that may not work for others and also focus on cruising grounds that are inherently dearer/cheaper than where individual interest lies (Mediterranean - in my case), there must be a bit of something for everyone in this forum idea.

regards
Mark
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 17:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
From time to time the issue of more sections comes up. We try to keep to a small number so it's not so hard to organize them. People come in and start a thread and it needs to be easy to pick a category. If it get complex then people don't find the sections. At this point the subject of budgets comes up regularly and it seems not so hard to find them. They have been quite popular so far with lots of readers and quite a few posters..
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 22:02   #4

Nearly paralyzed over forecasting our budget

Or was it the XX Beer?

Something seemed to paralyze me.

Oh it isn't the cost of fuel, that is easy. It is the forecasting of the unknowns, and if I can make ends meet on a limited income/savings.

I can fill the freezer with food stuff and eat from my own private stock, although it would be nice to go to a fine dining place once in a while.

But it is the entry and exit fees, I didn't know about.
The costs of things I don't know about that concerns me. Until recently, I thought all drinking water or fresh piped-in water was free or included in with slip fees.....NOT.

No doubt it can vary greatly depending on the area of cruising.

Where is the most economical places to visit, anyway?
Where is the safest?
The friendliest?
etc.
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post

No doubt it can vary greatly depending on the area of cruising.

Where is the most economical places to visit, anyway?
Where is the safest?
The friendliest?
etc.
Maybe a giant spread sheet?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:42   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
But but but!........ If we knew all the answers, where would we find the adventure?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:51   #7

Some truth in that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
But but but!........ If we knew all the answers, where would we find the adventure?
However, this isn't a space shuttle. There are people within the qroup, that read this thread, who have the answers. And there will always be plenty of adventure left, after I know these answers my friend.
As long as the sea and oceans are wild, there will be enough adventure for all of us.

Pogo
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 13:19   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

I appreciate the reasons for not creating ever more Sections, how about expanding the Title of the Section:-

Boat Ownership & Making a Living (4 Viewing)
Discussions on how to make an income while cruising. Tips and tricks.

To something like:-

Boat Ownership, Making a Living & Budgeting (4 Viewing)
Discussions on how to make an income and to Budget whilst cruising. Tips and tricks.

Just an idea........given that especially for new folk to the board / extended periods aboard getting info and comfort on this subject is fundamental before folk can head off into the WBY would seem to merit somewhere to search info from, as well as to post on.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote