Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 17:07   #16

Re: Site Not All that User Friendly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Well... yeah - a bit, but more likely it's just that he's forgotten how being new can be unsettling

Hang in there; the board will become more familiar with some experience. Just ask if you have specific questions and we'll (all) try to help out.
Janet H ... you must be a really nice person. I going to try to be more like you.

(5 minutes later)

M-m-m-m-m, it's not working. This zebra still has strips and I don't think I can change that.
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 17:28   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hay new gurlee... lol they callme a guy also... but some know otherwise now.
isnt bad here..there are a few bullies n trolls and blowhards but not toomany. there are some lame-os and other stuff also jut like much of the unreal world.

boaty--must be leaky teakies over 41 ft length. or am i also......

user cp has everything ..profile, avatar, signature, password and everything.
even social group lists and request info.

have fun. see ye around, and welcome to cf.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 19:28   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Shar,

First, off, welcome aboard.

If a post really offends you, you don't have to take on the poster all by yourself, unless you want to. You can click on the little triangle with the exclamation mark in it, in the lower right hand of the post's screen. That will bring up a box via which you can report the posts to the moderators.

Generally people obey the "be nice" rule, but some people think as long as it isn't name calling or swearing, that's being nice. Sometimes people figure out ways to be really mean, without name calling or swearing. You get to decide which posts to bring to the mods' attention. If they get many complaints relative to the same post, it may get edited out, and sometimes posters who are rude get banned for a period.

Once, when I was new here, I posted an opinion about something someone wanted to do, and got flamed for it. The flaming came as quite a surprise (I would never speak to someone that way), and I found it quite distasteful. Based on my experience, I think this is a kind of "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen" place. Up to you to decide how you want to handle the heat when it happens.

Finally, if one poster consistently offends you one way or another, you can put them on ignore, and your screen will not display their posts.

Good luck with it, I hope you decide to stick around.

Ann
Old 22-04-2015, 20:03   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

It's all about tone I reckon. Hard to get the right tone in writing. Gotta say, I would have posted the thread as something more like "I am struggling to figure out how to use the site." Puts the onus back on oneself. Saying the site is not user friendly is kind of putting it down and certainly went against the grain for me. I find the site brilliantly easy but I would always be happy to help a newbie who was having trouble. Of course I never have to because so many of the terrific people on here beat me to it.

I can understand why the op got some less than warm responses. Not endorsing the responses just understanding them.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-04-2015, 20:37   #20

I agree he is rude
Bjooste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 21:49   #21

Boat: C&C 25

Rude for speaking his mind ?? He made a suggestion based on a whining comment.. Look if this board is a mental challenge for some , then I guess that Formosa's comment is appropriate. I guess rude would be when you call someone, " you lazy ignorant ahole, get the hell out of here" .. Just saying...
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 03:50   #22
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Not rude, just honest and upfront.
Old 23-04-2015, 07:41   #23

Boat: Finally boatless & back in the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2sail View Post
Good afternoon Formosa46AK,

Aren't you the insulting one? I'm brand new to the site and it takes a bit of getting used to and your first response is to insult a newbie. That's just rude!
His response may sound harsh to you BUT yours may sound a bit harsh to some of us when you come in and start criticizing a forum that you just became a part of. I have been a part of several vBulletin forums in the past and they all work exactly the same. In this case "Rules" and "Profile" are listed prominently in the navigation bar above. That is always the place to start and the logical place for those of us that are able to think logically....
Old 23-04-2015, 07:52   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

If the OP is having trouble using the forum, it doesn't mean the forum is not user-friendly. It means the OP doesn't know how to use the forum. In addition to learning the very simple technical aspects of forum usage, she is undoubtably also learning that there is a "forum culture" and noobs don't get a free pass to come in and start criticising from Post One.

That said, most of what is written here is etheral in nature and will be buried and/or forgotten in a short time.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 07:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
The OP should take some comfort in knowing that once he gets familiar with the way it functions he can bring that knowledge forward across the forum universe.
Interesting that you would assume (unless I missed something definitive) OP is male. I assumed female. I guess we are both sexists.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:44   #26

Tough crowd....

At a social gathering "Would you like some cheese with that WHINE" would not go over well. Said person would be considered a dick.

But it's ok on an internet forum....nice.
Old 23-04-2015, 09:50   #27

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Tough crowd....

At a social gathering "Would you like some cheese with that WHINE" would not go over well. Said person would be considered a dick.

But it's ok on an internet forum....nice.
Someone who responds to useful information with "See, I told you it sucked," is also usually considered a dick at a social gathering. The OP really set the tone here. The first poster tried to help, but the OP really wanted to walk into the bar and tell the regulars that the bar is crap.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Someone who responds to useful information with "See, I told you it sucked," is also usually considered a dick at a social gathering. The OP really set the tone here. The first poster tried to help, but the OP really wanted to walk into the bar and tell the regulars that the bar is crap.
I can see why some took umbrage....but seriously.... All I saw was a slightly frustrated newbie seeking help....not worthy of being disrespected personally. JMHO

Now back to the enjoyment of learning about all this sailing stuff. Yah mon!
Old 23-04-2015, 10:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If the OP is having trouble using the forum, it doesn't mean the forum is not user-friendly. It means the OP doesn't know how to use the forum. In addition to learning the very simple technical aspects of forum usage, she is undoubtably also learning that there is a "forum culture" and noobs don't get a free pass to come in and start criticising from Post One.
Very reasonable comment.

Maybe working an internet forum is indeed harder than sailing a boat.

What do you think?

Reminds me of all the discussions about electrical stuff and the difficulty people seem to have of turning the switch. And then they claim they can run a complete sailboat, but don't remember how to work the switch?

Electrical and electrons strike again!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:07   #30

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2sail View Post
Good afternoon Formosa46AK,

Aren't you the insulting one? I'm brand new to the site and it takes a bit of getting used to and your first response is to insult a newbie. That's just rude!
Three of your first six posts are to complain about the forum and call someone else rude. I don't think you have much room to throw stones here.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote